News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

What can I Expect?

Started by MaryLouW, February 11, 2014, 03:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lou69

OK, I just went to a site I manage on an APlus server. It uses the same tools as you are using. I do see now where you will login to the PHP admin.

After you login are you selecting the tab that says 'Go to phpMYAdmin'?

MaryLouW

Yes, and when I select the tab that says go to PHPMyAdmin, it just goes back to the previous page.

However, when I log in with just my single ID, it gives me the wrong database and I CAN use access that using the my admin.   

Somewhere in the back on my mind, I remember being told that I needed to uninstall the MyAdmin to access a different database.

Lou69

Quote from: MaryLouW on February 17, 2014, 11:39:03 PM
I have done that.  I went straight to MyPHPAdmin and entered the user name and password and it brings up the wrong database.  I don't know how to get it to bring up the one I want.

I just had a thought - there is an option on the MyPHPAdmin screen to uninstall it.  Maybe I need to do that? and re-install ?

NO! Don't do the uninstall!!

MaryLouW

I'm not going to do that but it seems like at one point, someone else said I had to do that.  If you look at the attachment, you can see where I got. I clicked the red link in the upper right corner and it takes me right back to the previous page:

Lou69

OK ... you are at the right database I believe. the one that Admin is showing you. Looking at your other DB it looks like one is a test db and may not be in use. Two others are difficult to say if they are being used. But the one in the phpMyAdmin tool is the one you want to backup or export to your PC.

Now, I have dealt with Aplus quite a bit in the past. You can delay this and ask them to backup you DB, which I believe they do every few hours anyway or you can proceed by backing up the DB showing in phpMyAdmin.

MaryLouW

One is a test for something I did last year.  One is my ecard site, one is my PHPList database, and the last one (actually the first one created) is my forum.  I would back it up if I knew how.

Asking aPlus to do it is not going to work. They only help you if you've installed one of the packages on their server.  I've had them since 2008 and I have asked for help a number of times but they will not help in any way with third party stuff that wasn't installed by them.

Backing up the one showing in PHPMy Admin is the wrong database.

Lou69

Quote from: MaryLouW on February 17, 2014, 11:58:46 PM
I'm not going to do that but it seems like at one point, someone else said I had to do that.  If you look at the attachment, you can see where I got. I clicked the red link in the upper right corner and it takes me right back to the previous page:

Well, not so sure about needing to uninstall. The Manager is showing you all the DB that you have created. It does not mean you are using all of them though. Leave everything in the Manager and use the phpMyAdmin to access the working DB and then export it.

That should be all you need to do.

MaryLouW

Lou, if I knew how to do that, I would.  I keep telling you that the one that is showing in MyPHPAdmin is the wrong one. That's the one for my ecard site.

On the other databases, yes, they are all being used other than the test one and that is used now and then but it's not related to my SMF forum.

Lou69

I believe you.  :)

But the first one, ending in 586 is also the one that is being access in phpMyAdmin, correct? And that is not the one you want to use? Just so I am clear on this.

Edit:  do you have different user id/passwords for each of those databases?

MaryLouW

That is correct. The one I want to back up is the one showing in the attachment below:

Lou69

I am going to guess that you have a different userID and password for that database.

Now you could look at some of the saved data in the database that is being accessed by the Admin tool and see if it is accidentally being used for the forum.

Edit: I do understand what you are saying about Aplus, they have made me look foolish several times in front of the person that owns the site on their server. I have had my bad time with them also.

MaryLouW

Each database has its own login name and password  but when I tried to log into PHPMyAdmin, I couldn't remember the password so aPlus told me to change it, which I did. That's the one I use when I log in.  I'm about ready to give up on this, it's giving me a headache.  I am no farther today than I was yesterday. :(

Lou69

I am sorry this is not going well for you. I think the issue here is that when you start the phpMyAdmin and enter the userid/password it then goes to that DB. You will need to get them to reset/change the password for you. They should be able to do that. They will likely moan about it but they can do it.

It is late for me also. I need to get some sleep myself.

Call Aplus tomorrow/today/this morning  :) and speak with them about the password issue.

Sorry this is not working out for you. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

take care.

Lou

Illori

if you open up your settings.php file it should include a database name as well as the password, gather up this information.

in this file it should also tell you *where* the database server is located...

something like this

$db_server = 'localhost';

does yours say localhost?

if so you can download phpmyadmin from their website upload the files to your server and log in with the username and password you found in the first step then go about doing the backup.

it really sounds like your host is making stuff like this MUCH harder then it needs to be, it should be simple really. it may be a good time for you to consider switching to a host that knows what they are doing and can do some support for other stuff users install on the server [like smf].

http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin/files/phpMyAdmin/4.1.7/phpMyAdmin-4.1.7-english.zip/download#!md5!a9de7c06bbfe03a3986eb16c10bfc701 will download phpmyadmin unzip and upload to your server. [in a new folder]

MaryLouW

I appreciate the help but I think this is beyond my capabilities.  I don't have a clue where I'd fine the settings file.   I am going to try and get them to help me today and see if they can at least point me in the right direction.

I really don't want to change hosts, have done this too many times over the years.  Seems after a few years or so, they go out of business and I'm in a tizzy trying to find another one.  I've had this one since 2008 and the server itself is very reliable.  My forum is fast and is never down so even if they're not helpful, they are reliable.   

kat

How about asking the host how you're supposed to backup the database?

After all, backing-up's a Good ThingTM, innit?

MaryLouW

I finally got a nice person at aPlus to help me.  I had to uninstall  MyPhPAdmin, then select the database I wanted, then reinstall MyPhPAdmin and it worked perfectly.

I did backup the database just to make sure I could do it. So, I"m just about ready to take the plunge.  I want to read over the documentation first.  I've set Thursday as my target date.  Whew... going to be fun!!

Thanks again for all the various suggestions.  I think I can do it now.  :)

Kindred

alright... glad your host could help you... but that has got to be the most bizarre and half-arsed system that I have ever seen.
I use phpmyadmin and can access any of the 12 databases that my server uses -- all from the same install
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Lou69

Yep, it is completely insane what Aplus makes you do. They basically took Cpanel and made a custom GUI and then obfuscated the GUI and its tools.

I spent some of this evening looking at the admin side of an Aplus site that I maintain. Made a test database, etc. and played in general. I was just about to open up a ticket with them to find out just how you access another DB. Thought I would check here first and have seen that MaryLou has gotten it figured out. Now I know.   :)

kat

Let us know how it goes, MaryLou, woncha? :)

Advertisement: