News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Login issues/Logging out randomly

Started by shibdib, February 14, 2014, 01:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shibdib

Ever since switching to a new web host I've been having annoying login issues. Users report randomly getting signed out or the login screen just kicking them to the index page still not logged in.

I've noticed that at least for me when it does this it still shows me in the online user section, but I can't see any staff forums as if I'm not logged in.

It also only seems to happen during certain parts of the day. Like right now I can't login, but up too around half an hour ago it was fine.

- I've tried changing the cookie settings around with no luck
- I've tried repairing the db tables with no change
- Different browsers (IE/Chrome/FF) and my phone.. same issue right now

Site is www.overlordgaming.us
Owner Of Overlord Gaming (overlordgaming.us)

shibdib

seem logging in using private mode (no cookies) fixes it, but then after a few clicks it logs me out and then private mode doesn't work unless i restart the browser.

shibdib

anyone? this has broken my forum to the point where im debating switching to phpbb3

Kindred

and, when you moved hosts, did you run repair_settings.php?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shibdib

Quote from: Kindred on February 14, 2014, 09:15:21 PM
and, when you moved hosts, did you run repair_settings.php?

I did, the paths are all fine which is all that script really does.

The part that most confuses me is that it's inconsistent and works fine for me on some pc's and not so much on others.

shibdib

QuoteI still cannot log in, plus it's weird, sometimes it shows me online in the list at the bottom of the forum but I am not logged in... idk what's going on.. Either someone has access to my forum account or it shows me online and logged in when I am clearly not...

an email I just got..

I NEEEEEEEEEED help with this asap

Kindred

That seems to demonstrate that the issue is on your PC side, and not on your forum side.
It suggests that there is something wrong with any user who has a cookie/session on the old forum which causes an issue on the new one....

Are you, perhaps trying to do a redirect from the old site?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shibdib

But I've changed the cookie name which should fix what you're suggesting.

Kindred

The key word is SHOULD.   And you did not answer my questions
Слaва
Украинi

Lou69

Quote from: shibdib on February 16, 2014, 12:09:46 AM

Looks like your site is using a separate frontend from the SMF forum as well as using SimplePortal. Because of the very nice custom theme I am not sure if the front end is the portal or the CreateaForm stuff.

I created an account, authenticated and logged in. The instant I transfered from the forum to the Home site I am logged out. That happens with Firefox 26 with adblock plus and plenty of other security stuff.

With IE 11 basically the same except that I am still show logged in at the footer , but not in the header. That is with adblocker for IE and popups suppressed.

You are on SMF 2.0.7, have you considered moving back to 2.0.6?

edit:  Ok, I see now that your frontend is actually WordPress and also has a writers login section. AFAIK there are no reliable bridges between WP and SMF. You might want to consider dropping the WP frontend and see if the login issue on SMF clears up. There is this mod but you need to emulate 2.0.5 I believe.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3008

and this thread ...

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=508698.0

edit: Once logged into your site I can't even send you a PM. The moment I attempt the captcha I get logged out. What mods do you have installed?

shibdib

Quote from: Lou69 on February 16, 2014, 10:31:13 AM
Quote from: shibdib on February 16, 2014, 12:09:46 AM

Looks like your site is using a separate frontend from the SMF forum as well as using SimplePortal. Because of the very nice custom theme I am not sure if the front end is the portal or the CreateaForm stuff.

I created an account, authenticated and logged in. The instant I transfered from the forum to the Home site I am logged out. That happens with Firefox 26 with adblock plus and plenty of other security stuff.

With IE 11 basically the same except that I am still show logged in at the footer , but not in the header. That is with adblocker for IE and popups suppressed.

You are on SMF 2.0.7, have you considered moving back to 2.0.6?

edit:  Ok, I see now that your frontend is actually WordPress and also has a writers login section. AFAIK there are no reliable bridges between WP and SMF. You might want to consider dropping the WP frontend and see if the login issue on SMF clears up. There is this mod but you need to emulate 2.0.5 I believe.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3008

and this thread ...

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=508698.0

edit: Once logged into your site I can't even send you a PM. The moment I attempt the captcha I get logged out. What mods do you have installed?

Replied to your mail, the wordpress and SMF are basically seperate sites that happen to share the domain. I use simpleportal mainly for the sidebar on the forum. SMF is used strictly as a forum, while wordpress is my CMS. Nothing against SMF but wordpress just looks alot better as a CMS.

I replied to your PM answering all your questions.

And I'm not sure what you mean by redirect from the old site. The forum and the wordpress frontend were both moved to the new server.

Lou69

Ahhhh .. so the PM did go through. I did not think it had as I got logged out.

Go to Server Settings>Cookies and Sessions and make sure you have the 'Allow Browsers to go back to cached pages' checked.

Also look at the ? balloon for Enable Local Storage of Cookies. Read and understand what it is saying. You may want to enable that to
see if that helps, should the above browser action not work.

Also flush the cache from Forum Maintenance.

I usually only leave the Database driven and Allow browser options checked.

shibdib

Local cookies is enabled, and as the logins for the wordpress and smf forum are not linked I don't believe that's what causes the issue.

And I enabled caching but I'm not sure if that's the issue.

The main problem right now is testing this, as I don't have the issue on my desktop and it's sporatic and almost seems linked to time of day on my laptop.

Lou69

I was just wondering about the WP link. I guess you only have the button work as a url to WP and no real bridging?

Well, uncheck the Local option and see what happens.   :)

shibdib

Quote from: Lou69 on February 16, 2014, 04:30:29 PM
I was just wondering about the WP link. I guess you only have the button work as a url to WP and no real bridging?

Well, uncheck the Local option and see what happens.   :)

Correct, no need for anyone outside of authors to have an account on wordpress as we use Disqus as the comment system.

And it's disabled

Lou69

Just made a test post. The post went but I got logged out.   :)  Well actually, it shows me logged in but I a read only function on the forum. Not able to post.

Did you empty the Cache?

shibdib

"The maintenance task 'Empty the file cache' was executed successfully."

Lou69

Cool.  What is the unused session timeout set to?

shibdib

Lou69

that should be enough.

Is the file permission on the cache folder ( on the server ) set to 777 or 755? If not, make the permission 755.

Advertisement: