News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Login issues/Logging out randomly

Started by shibdib, February 14, 2014, 01:22:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shibdib

It was 775, the files themselves are only 664 and I don't seem to be able to allow any higher than that.
Owner Of Overlord Gaming (overlordgaming.us)

Lou69

775/664 should be OK. Well, I am running out of concepts here. No idea if this is the issue but since the site is on 2.0.7 you could make sure the server PHP version is 5.5. If not 5.5 then you can ask the host to move you to a lower PHP version or you can downgrade to 2.0.6 and see what happens.

shibdib

I believe WP Engine uses 5.3, so I'll look into downgrading

Lou69

Sorry to not be of more help on this. Maybe moving to 2.0.6 will help.

I moved two of my sites to a new host recently. Moved from PHP 5.3 to 5.5 and experienced some login and disconnect issues but not quite like your current issue. It was mod_security causing the problem. That happend on SMF 2.0.6 and 2.0.7. The host adjusted mod_security for me and my issues cleared up.

By the way, that is a really nice theme you are using.

shibdib

Quote from: Lou69 on February 16, 2014, 05:07:52 PM
Sorry to not be of more help on this. Maybe moving to 2.0.6 will help.

I moved two of my sites to a new host recently. Moved from PHP 5.3 to 5.5 and experienced some login and disconnect issues but not quite like your current issue. It was mod_security causing the problem. That happend on SMF 2.0.6 and 2.0.7. The host adjusted mod_security for me and my issues cleared up.

By the way, that is a really nice theme you are using.

Thanks for the help, I'll try downgrading and see if that fixes it.

And thanks, it's basically just a super tweaked free one I found and used as a template.

Shambles

Check your "Forum URL" (in the Server Settings of your ACP).

If you're accessing the forum using "www." then make sure you also have "www." in the Forum URL settings.

shibdib

Quote from: Shambles on February 16, 2014, 05:33:20 PM
Check your "Forum URL" (in the Server Settings of your ACP).

If you're accessing the forum using "www." then make sure you also have "www." in the Forum URL settings.

Nope no www

In the process of downgrading as we speak. Going to do a fresh install rather than just overwrite.

Kindred

it could also be one of those idiotic "security" add-ons from wordpress.   I know that they play havok with SMF's systems when SMF is installed in a subdirectory from WordPress because WordPress, being the hog that it is, tries to take over control of everything on the domain.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shibdib

So far a fresh install/downgrade seems to have fixed it.

And wordpress shouldn't effect SMF at all if you have any idea how to work a computer. They're 2 completely different systems that interact only by an HTML link.. so not sure why you're spewing so much hate for the CMS used by a large majority of heavily trafficked websites.

Kindred

shibdib,

You are correct.
WordPress SHOULD NOT affect SMF if they are not bridged. However, we have plenty of evidence that some of the so-called "security" add-ons for WordPress do exactly that... they attempt to control access to EVERY PART of the domain, even parts unrelated to WordPress.

And I have said it before... I will say it again.
WordPress is **NOT** a CMS.  WordPress is a blog software with add-ons to help run a site -- just like SMF and Portal mods.
Unfortunately, WordPress, as much as it may be used, is a ****HOG**** for resources and can literally KILL a site with only minimal addons installed.  Install too many "fancy" add-ons and your site becomes next to useless.
A *TRUE* CMS is much better at handling things.
Joomla or even Drupal are the way to go if you actually want a CMS.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shibdib

While I agree Joomla is better (Which is why I'm about halfway done with a joomla site to replace my current one)

I disagree on the wordpress not being a CMS. It's evolved the past few releases to be a CMS and a halfway decent one at that. My main issue with it is that it has alot of bloat and very restrictive themeing. But IMO it's most definitely a CMS.

Kindred

as someone who has been involved with the internet industry since before there was an internet, I will state that I disagree with you, vehemently on that... and leave it at that. :)

(do note, I actually do use WordPress one two sites... but they are blog sites. If I was to do anything else, I would use (and recommend that anyone else use) a different piece of software)

And I will restate my main point, which you seemed to disbelieve.
Quote from: Kindred on February 16, 2014, 08:01:28 PM
WordPress SHOULD NOT affect SMF if they are not bridged. However, we have plenty of evidence that some of the so-called "security" add-ons for WordPress do exactly that... they attempt to control access to EVERY PART of the domain, even parts unrelated to WordPress.
Слaва
Украинi

Shambles

Quote from: Shambles

Quote from: shibdib on February 16, 2014, 05:37:49 PM
Nope no www

That will have been your problem. Plenty of threads surrounding that issue right here on sm.org ;)

Lou69

Quote from: Shambles on February 17, 2014, 03:12:47 AM
Quote from: Shambles

Quote from: shibdib on February 16, 2014, 05:37:49 PM
Nope no www

That will have been your problem. Plenty of threads surrounding that issue right here on sm.org ;)

Hmmm .. did not know that. Is that field not auto filled on the install?

The entire string must be there:  http://www.mydomain.org  and not just  mydomain.org or www.mydomain.org?

Kindred

No...  The point is that either you access the site from www or non www....     If you tell the forum to use one... But your users use the other... Then things can get confused.

Especially, if you have local cookies checked and sub domain independent cookies unchecked.

Because the www sub domain is DIFFERENT from the root domain.
Слaва
Украинi

Lou69

Ahhh ... thank you.  :)   I understand that now. I have always had all of mine with the full string so I never had a problem.

shibdib

It depends how your dns is setup, mine redirects www's to the non www. Other sites have it the other way around.

Chen Zhen

Quote from: shibdib on February 17, 2014, 03:43:25 PM
It depends how your dns is setup, mine redirects www's to the non www. Other sites have it the other way around.

I was actually going to mention to you previously that both your dns & bind settings need some honing. However I did not think it was related directly to your cookie issue so I did not. Imo your 1st priority should be the rdns settings.
Here is a tool that will enable you to see for yourself:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools#dnsReport|type=domain&&value=overlordgaming.us

Although it might be better to search for an online tool that allows the entry of your sub-directory that your forum is in. That resource will not allow that url.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

Chen Zhen

Also I could have sworn your sub-directory was different when you had SMF 2.0.7 running.  Did you have SMF 2.0.7 working from a different directory?

Edit->

Yes you did.. you had smf 2.0.7 in .../smf/... and smf 2.0.6 is in ../OGForum/..
Are you absolutely positive you had the url & paths set correctly for the smf 2.0.7 installation?
Imo perhaps backup the forum files & db then try applying the smf 2.0.7 update to the OGForum directory.

My SMF Mods & Plug-Ins

WebDev

"Either you repeat the same conventional doctrines everybody is saying, or else you say something true, and it will sound like it's from Neptune." - Noam Chomsky

shibdib

Quote from: -Underdog- on February 17, 2014, 04:12:55 PM
  Also I could have sworn your sub-directory was different when you had SMF 2.0.7 running.  Did you have SMF 2.0.7 working from a different directory?

Edit->

Yes you did.. you had smf 2.0.7 in .../smf/... and smf 2.0.6 is in ../OGForum/..
Are you absolutely positive you had the url & paths set correctly for the smf 2.0.7 installation?
Imo perhaps backup the forum files & db then try applying the smf 2.0.7 update to the OGForum directory.

Well I'm waiting to see if anyone still has issues, had one guy say he still gets disconnected randomly but haven't heard anyone else say anything.

And using that site the only big issues are mail related (MX) which isn't a concern of mine as we use a mail provider.

Advertisement: