News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Overriding Last Edit comment

Started by bosswhite, February 15, 2014, 06:47:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bosswhite

I recently noticed a user was posting and then modifying his own post to remove some of the content (which was usually contoversial) once he realised his intended recipient had read it, without it showing a Last edited by.. comment.

I soon realised that what he was doing was preceding his last paragraph with [] but no closing tags [/] after the content.

Is there a way to overcome this? I have found that it works with blank [] or any text [some text] as long as there is no closing tag at the end.

I've been down so long now it's beginning to look like up..

Oldiesmann

What mods do you have installed? I've never heard of that happening before, and I'm unable to reproduce this on a test board.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Kindred

also check your "courtesy edit time" setting.

There is also a mod which saves the drafts of edited posts so admins can review the edits
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

bosswhite

Quote from: Oldiesmann on February 15, 2014, 01:01:42 PM
What mods do you have installed? I've never heard of that happening before, and I'm unable to reproduce this on a test board.

Installed packages as per attached screenshot. I also have 2.0.7 patch installed but had to do it manually (could not get it to work through package manager) so that is not showing up in the list.

I must admit that since first posting I tried modifying my original post on here using the same code (and then deleting it) but it still showed a last edit by.
However, if I log into my own forum as a normal user it does work as I described in my OP.

bosswhite

Quote from: Kindred on February 15, 2014, 03:32:53 PM
also check your "courtesy edit time" setting.

There is also a mod which saves the drafts of edited posts so admins can review the edits

My courtesy edit setting is currently 90sec.

That mod sounds useful. I have tried searching for it but cannot locate it. Do you know what it is called?

Rk2910

Not to be the resurrect-or of old posts but has anyone figured this out?  I have a bazillion posts with "Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest" after the conversion.
I have a Mod installed "Remove "Last edit" mod" but that only adds a link that will delete the above if you click on it.
Is there a way to turn off the "Last Edit" feature?  I've looked through everything but don't see this option.

Gwenwyfar

I had the same issue when I converted my forum, January 1, 1970  ;D

What I did was delete through the database, I don't think there's another way. Just need to run a query to delete all "last edit times".
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Rk2910

Thanks for the tip.  I'll see if I can find where to do this.

Gwenwyfar

Go to phpmyadmin management if that's what your server has, then find the "messages" table, and look at the edit date. Then you can just run a query to delete anything in that field. Be sure to make a backup first.

Names are "modified_time" and "modified_name"

Now I didn't test this (so backup first!), and I don't remember what I used but you can try this:

UPDATE 'smf_messages' SET MODIFIED_TIME = 0;
UPDATE 'smf_messages' SET MODIFIED_NAME = ;

Rk2910

Rk2910

Fortytwo, following your query above I get this when I run it: #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''smf_messages' SET MODIFIED_TIME = 0' at line 1
I looked in the help on syntax and it all looks good.
Any ideas?

Kindred

Try getting rid of the single quotes... And make sure your table prefix is actually smf_
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Rk2910

Thanks Kindred - I'll try that.   Never thought of removing the quotes from the field names.

Rk2910

So I did need to remove the single quotes around the field names but had to add two single quotes at the end of the 2nd query.
UPDATE smf_messages SET MODIFIED_TIME = 0;
UPDATE smf_messages SET MODIFIED_NAME = '';

All is cleaned up now.  Just will have to run it periodically.

Thanks guys.

margarett

Why would you run it periodically? This will clean the "old" and wrong edit notices, yes. But once clean, you don't need to clean it again ;)
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Rk2910

It clears the Last edit from the db the instance you run it, going forward it appears again when someone edits their post.  That is what I was looking for originally - how to turn that off permanently.  This is an alternative but must be run periodically to clear all of the new ones since the last run.  No big deal.

Gwenwyfar

Thought you meant you had a problem with the conversion. Seems more like you have a faulty installation or mod if that is happening with new posts.

If you really want to turn it off then just remove that part from the display.template.

Kindred

You know... Removing that display is actually against the law in some locations...

A user has a right to know when his/her post was edited by someone else...
Слaва
Украинi

Rk2910

Quote from: Kindred on February 18, 2015, 07:18:29 PM
You know... Removing that display is actually against the law in some locations...

A user has a right to know when his/her post was edited by someone else...
Didn't know that - hmmm.  Any idea where someone would find out where it is against the law?

Rk2910

Quote from: Fortytwo on February 18, 2015, 06:17:04 PM
Thought you meant you had a problem with the conversion. Seems more like you have a faulty installation or mod if that is happening with new posts.

If you really want to turn it off then just remove that part from the display.template.
You only see it if they edit their original post, so I don't think I had an install issue.

Advertisement: