406 Not Acceptable (2.0.7)

Started by k1ngqu33n, February 16, 2014, 03:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k1ngqu33n

So I recently just clicked on the modify button for the General Discussion category.
Unfortunately, it came up with a "406 Not Acceptable" error, and said this:

Not Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource /index.php could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

--------------

Is there anything I did wrong? I checked the File Manager on GoDaddy and set all, and I literally mean all the files to 777 permissions.
I don't know what's wrong. I have the Linux hosting plan.

Please help ASAP?

a10

2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

k1ngqu33n

Quote from: a10 on February 16, 2014, 03:51:59 PM
Some hints > http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=514962.0 > http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=514962.msg3669794#msg3669794

Still trying some solutions, but so far nothing.
I wiped the whole root directory and by accident completely destroyed the whole forum.

I'm going to upload the installation again.
But is there a specific directory it should be installed to?

I installed it to public_html originally. Is that the right one?

Lou69

Did you read the  link a10 gave you?

There are some issues with GoDaddy and new SMF installations, involving mod_security. After you install the 2.0.6 version you will need to contact GoDaddy and ensure they have disabled mod_security for your site.

Public_html is the correct directory. Download a fresh 2.0.6 package from SMF, unzip it on your harddrive and upload the unzipped contents to the public_html directory.

Do not use 2.0.7 unless you know that GoDaddy has PHP 5.5 on your server.

k1ngqu33n

Quote from: Lou69 on February 16, 2014, 04:11:40 PM
Did you read the  link a10 gave you?

There are some issues with GoDaddy and new SMF installations, involving mod_security. After you install the 2.0.6 version you will need to contact GoDaddy and ensure they have disabled mod_security for your site.

Public_html is the correct directory. Download a fresh 2.0.6 package from SMF, unzip it on your harddrive and upload the unzipped contents to the public_html directory.

Do not use 2.0.7 unless you know that GoDaddy has PHP 5.5 on your server.

Just noticed the version of the theme I had installed said 2.0.2, could that be a problem?

Kindred

no.

The problem as you have already been told TWICE, is that your host has mod_security improperly configured, which screws up your forum.
You have to talk to your host.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

k1ngqu33n

Quote from: Kindred on February 16, 2014, 06:35:53 PM
no.

The problem as you have already been told TWICE, is that your host has mod_security improperly configured, which screws up your forum.

What I heard from other people is that sometimes they decline it though.
Any other ideas, "SIR"?

Kindred

there is no reason that they should decline -- and there is no other resolution
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

k1ngqu33n

Quote from: Kindred on February 16, 2014, 10:24:42 PM

Can you please next time not act like I'm dumb? I may be 16,  but I know a hell a lot of stuff.
Unfortunately, I know the wrong stuff. (ie: hacking)

Lou69

Quote from: k1ngqu33n on February 16, 2014, 09:51:32 PM
Quote from: Kindred on February 16, 2014, 06:35:53 PM
no.

What I heard from other people is that sometimes they decline it though.
Any other ideas, "SIR"?

Well ... no. Usually they do not decline. But, you will likely need to push the matter with them and may well need to ask them to go to the next level of support. Their tier 1 support are the same folks that always tell you to reboot your PC. Not always a great level of detailed knowledged. Most customer support sites are set up that way.

You really will not be able to resolve this until you have resolved the GoDaddy / mod_security issue. Until that is done any other effort will be like flailing at the wind.

Kindred

how did I act like you are dumb?

I don't know your age... and don't care (heck, we've had younger folks on the team)

I answered your question, same as I do everyone else.
Слaва
Украинi

Lou69

Quote from: k1ngqu33n on February 16, 2014, 10:26:57 PM
Quote from: Kindred on February 16, 2014, 10:24:42 PM

Can you please next time not act like I'm dumb? I may be 16,  but I know a hell a lot of stuff.
Unfortunately, I know the wrong stuff. (ie: hacking)

One day, if you are ever married and have children or simply just have children you will eventually look at one of your teens and fully understand just how dumb you were at age 16. We all do.

Your dealing with people here that volunteer their time. Many have full time jobs and families. No one is paid for this. Having an attitude with one of those that volunteer to help you is never mature and usually is unwise.

Now, no one called you dumb, but you were advised twice to pursue the mod_security issue. That was advised because it is a known issue and occurs regardless ( as far as I know ) of SMF version. Take that advice and call GoDaddy.

k1ngqu33n

Quote from: Kindred on February 16, 2014, 10:28:53 PM
how did I act like you are dumb?

I don't know your age... and don't care (heck, we've had younger folks on the team)

I answered your question, same as I do everyone else.

The agent just said I'm on a shared server.
So if he turns off he said it will affect others.

Lou69

They always say that.  :)

Let them know this is a known issue and then ask for the next level of support. You will need to push them so let them know that you expect your trouble to be escalated to the next level of support. Now, you may not get anyone back to you until tomorrow so be prepared to wait a bit.

I had the same problem as you with a couple of sites I admin. My host took care of the problem once he was notified.

Are you using any security mods for spammers or firewalls?

k1ngqu33n

He said the reason im getting the error is because apparently its trying to use shell commands? and apparently thats why its flagging it?

Lou69

They say that too.  :)

Demand tier 2 support. Also consider moving to another host if possible.

Here is a very good host for you to use if GD does not work with you.

http://www.charlottezweb.com/

It is very simple to move your domain. In fact you don't even need to move it, just have it pointed to the new nameservers for who ever the new host may be. You can do that in your customer panel at GD. Your paying good money for a service from GD so don't let them stonewall you. Demand tier 2 support.

edit:  did GoDaddy acknowledge that they have mod_security turned on?

k1ngqu33n

He told me to ask you guys if there is any type of shell injection or shell scripts in the standard install script?

Lou69

Well, that script would be the install.php I believe. I have not read it in a good while but I do not recall anything that looks like an injection attempt. It does however create the MySQL database for you.

Kindred would be the best source of knowledge for that. Or another team member here.

k1ngqu33n

I don't know what to do in this situation.
Should I just switch?  I asked him for tier 2 support and hes just trying to avoid it.

Lou69

Well, I know it is frustrating. They play that way and I really do not understand why. Threaten to leave them and see what happens. If you do move to Charlottezweb tomorrow he will usually have your stuff built in a few hours for you ... or less. You would only need to have your domain .. mydomain.com or whatever, pointed to the new host. That is very simple and is done in your customer panel for GD, if you have one. If not, ask them to point to the new nameservers. The new host will give you those names.

I did take a look at install.php and the MySQL installer. No obvious attempts at injection but they are scripts and they do possess some characters that mod_security would read as an injection attempt.

If GD is not going to play ball with you then move your service to another host. They won't miss you but you deserve to be treated better than what they are treating you.

Advertisement: