Moving Hosts

Started by Starz0r, February 22, 2014, 05:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starz0r

I have decided to move over to another hosting site for various reasons that I will not disclose. What I want to do is move my old backup that I have downloaded on to another host. I have both the full directory backup and the sql backup, but I'm not sure what to do next. If anyone can help please post, thank you.

Starz0r

My backup is over 300mb of space and the host won't allow me to upload that much all at once or am I doing something wrong?

kat

Sounds like switching hosts wasn't such a good idea...

Would it be worth asking them to bend their rules, just for a while?

Or, could you upload the files, individually, using FTP?

a10

The files\attachments should be zero problem with ftp (remember to use binary transfer type if using filezilla!) About the database, when having any trouble with size or timeouts, I've exported \ imported individual tables (using phpmyadmin).  & maybe take a look at http://www.mysqldumper.net/
Good luck
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Starz0r

Quote from: K@ on February 23, 2014, 04:51:05 AM
Sounds like switching hosts wasn't such a good idea...

Would it be worth asking them to bend their rules, just for a while?

Or, could you upload the files, individually, using FTP?
I'm almost one hundred percent sure they won't allow it. My previous host's web hosting review: http://freehosting1.net/reviews/x10hosting.com.aspx. Using FTP wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have to upload everything in 5mb packages. I would have to pay to be allowed to upload more which I wouldn't mind doing as a last resort. By the way I get

Performance Warning
The cache directory is not writable - this will adversely affect the performance of your forum.

At the top of my forum, is this something I should be worried about?

Quote from: a10 on February 23, 2014, 07:21:38 AM
The files\attachments should be zero problem with ftp (remember to use binary transfer type if using filezilla!) About the database, when having any trouble with size or timeouts, I've exported \ imported individual tables (using phpmyadmin).  & maybe take a look at http://www.mysqldumper.net/
Good luck
I don't think that will be necessary, I have the SQL Database backup on my computer too but it really isn't worth much without the Home Directory.

kat

The cache thing can be set in "Server settings", in your admin section, if it's available.

5meg packages? If you upload the files, individually, I doubt there'd be many as big as that, except, perhaps, an odd graphic file, or attachment.

Starz0r

So I figured out how to use FTP and as I moved all the files over. The only file that didn't move over is the softsql.sql file. Should I be worried about this?

EDIT: Btw, when I import my SQL Database into the phpMyAdmin I get error that tells me that it can't dump data into a database that does not exist. How do I fix it so it imports to the correct database?

Starz0r

Anymore help please? I'm getting bombarded alot of questions a day when my forum will be back up. Sorry If I sound desperate but I'm kinda between a rock and a hard place right now.

kat

softsql.sql is not a file that I know. So, I can't comment, other than to say that, as far as I'm aware, it's not an SMF thing.

Can you import from CPanel>Backups?

Starz0r

Quote from: K@ on February 25, 2014, 03:51:50 PM
softsql.sql is not a file that I know. So, I can't comment, other than to say that, as far as I'm aware, it's not an SMF thing.

Can you import from CPanel>Backups?

The full tar.gz file? No, I had to do it manually by using FTP which wasn't that hard. Like I said I tried using the phpMyAdmin import and I get the aforementioned error. I used the repair_settings.php to try and fix the paths for the forum.

Also upon joining the site at this point it gives me a white page with only this text:
Table 'iwannaco_iwanna.iwannaco_settings' doesn't exist

kat

When you backed-up, there would've been two files. One would be the software, the other the database.

You import the database, using phpmyadmin, or CPanel>Backups>Restore.

Starz0r

Quote from: K@ on February 25, 2014, 04:11:34 PM
When you backed-up, there would've been two files. One would be the software, the other the database.

You import the database, using phpmyadmin, or CPanel>Backups>Restore.

Alright I'll try using the cPanel to restore the database, how long to I have to wait after I upload it because it stays on the "Restoring Database" page, maybe it will redirect me soon?

kat

Depends on your linespeed, their linespeed, the size of the database, that kinda thing. It can take a while...

Starz0r

Quote from: K@ on February 25, 2014, 04:22:44 PM
Depends on your linespeed, their linespeed, the size of the database, that kinda thing. It can take a while...

Database is about 1MB but ok.

Starz0r

Quote from: K@ on February 25, 2014, 04:22:44 PM

Alright the database was imported successfully! The only problem I have now is upon opening the website you are still met with this error:
Table 'iwannaco_iwanna.iwannaco_settings' doesn't exist

Not sure if there is a direct way to fix it or not.

kat

Do all the other tables have similarly long names, like that?

I'd've expected 'iwannaco_settings' rather than 'iwannaco_iwanna.iwannaco_settings'.

I'll check back, in the morning, coz its time, here. :)

Starz0r

Quote from: K@ on February 25, 2014, 05:29:08 PM
Do all the other tables have similarly long names, like that?

I'd've expected 'iwannaco_settings' rather than 'iwannaco_iwanna.iwannaco_settings'.

I'll check back, in the morning, coz its time, here. :)
Alright, well I've figured out how to fix it. Turns out I had wrote the database prefix wrong in the repair settings. Now I get a error on logging in:

Unknown column 'mem.name_color' in 'field list'
File: /home/iwannaco/public_html/forum/Sources/Subs-BoardIndex.php
Line: 72

Hopefully you'll wake up soon and see this ;)

kat

Hmmm... I could be wrong, here... But, I believe that mem.name_color is something that's not vanilla SMF and is, probably, something from a mod. Membergroup colours, perhaps?

Advertisement: