News Fader shows ALL items at once

Started by pirc-bw, February 22, 2014, 06:06:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pirc-bw

When you click the Home button or refresh from that button on my board, all of the News Fader items appear stacked on top of each other, then vanish.  It then starts displaying them one by one.

Is there a mod or some way this can be fixed.
Running 2.0.7
I am attaching an image I managed to capture of it...
Merlene
Version Information:
Forum version: SMF 2.0.16
Current SMF version: SMF 2.0.16
www.bw-forums.com

Lou69

That is a custom theme you are using. If you go to the Default Curve for the entire site, does the problem still exist? What are the installed mods?

pirc-bw

The theme is Core, I have only changed the colors.  But yes it does the same thing in the default theme.  I am attaching a screenie of my mods...
Merlene
Version Information:
www.bw-forums.com

TheListener

Did you place all the news items in the one box?

Lou69

Quote from: Old Fossil on February 22, 2014, 07:39:44 PM
Did you place all the news items in the one box?

Beat me to it.  :)   None of the mods look to be very offending by nature.

TheListener

My news fader is used slightly different  :)

I use the marquee effect.  ::)

Lou69

Quote from: pirc-bw on February 22, 2014, 07:21:13 PM
The theme is Core, I have only changed the colors.  But yes it does the same thing in the default theme.  I am attaching a screenie of my mods...

Nice work. I was looking at the bw-forums and thought maybe you had squared up the corners and reworked the body/header.

pirc-bw

Definitely not... There are six separate items in their own boxes in my news page.

And thank you to Lou69.  It was a lot of work to get the colors to match the rest of the pages that go hold tutorials to be used by the members.
Merlene
Version Information:
www.bw-forums.com

Lou69

Did you by chance make any changes in Boardindex.template.php?

pirc-bw

Merlene
Version Information:
www.bw-forums.com

Lou69

Interesting. Did this problem occur before the CSS changes or after? You could save a copy of the current working .css file and then FTP an original back to the site and see if that clears the problem.

I played a bit with index.css, fader.js, boardindex.template.php and could not duplcate the issue. Of course I could have been looking in the wrong places and doing the wrong things.  :)

Have you ever used WinMerge to compare two files side by side?

http://winmerge.org/

It is a free utility you can use to help isolate the issue if you go to looking at other files.

pirc-bw

Up until about a week ago there were only two items in the fader.  It started when I added the last four.  Didn't add them all at once either. 
I will try the FTP.
Merlene
Version Information:
www.bw-forums.com

Lou69

I created a user on the bw-forums. The news looks normal to me. One box with a two line, fading message.

pirc-bw

Click on the Home button and see what happens...
Merlene
Version Information:
www.bw-forums.com

Lou69

I did.  :)  The image I attached is from the Home page. I am using FireFox 27.

edit:  looks OK in IE 11 also. I probably would not copy anything over just yet.

pirc-bw

It happens very fast in every browser I have tried.  I don't have Firefox.  I just tried in Safari on my iPad and it was perfect, but on Chrome it still shows them all.
Merlene
Version Information:
www.bw-forums.com

Lou69

Interesting. Well, I think this would be more of a browser issue it seems. This fading uses a timing function for the fading and is driven by fader.js in the theme/default/scripts directory. You can adjust the speed of the fading in the settings for the theme. It is probably around 5000 now. You can increase it to 6000 and see if the slower fade works better with the internet connection and browsers.

Lou69

I have been sitting here watching the news fader and it is really working quite well. Fades properly and no news box jiggle.

pirc-bw

It was at 3000 and I increased it to 3500.  I will try a higher number.

Well I did before sending this.  Put it up to 6000 and that slowed it down.
Merlene
Version Information:
www.bw-forums.com

pirc-bw

That's because all the blurbs are two lines long.
But click the Home button or refresh and you will see what I mean.
Merlene
Version Information:
www.bw-forums.com

Advertisement: