News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Multi Quote for SMF 2.1

Started by Neo_TE, February 25, 2014, 03:05:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Or, actually, just watching the promo video on their site or using the main xenforo.com site :P Or asking me nicely seeing how I have a licence ;) (I have a licence for IPB, vB and XenForo)

And, that's exactly my point. Multi-quote fixes the page crossover as well as cross-topic posts, which can't be done in the current approach without a lot of faff.

Steve

You're right, Arantor ... that's definitely the slickest multi-quote system I've seen. Awesome! :D
DO NOT pm me for support!

FrizzleFried

That multiquote system IS awesome...

...but since I am guessing that my upgrade path to 2.1 is obscured with the tons of mods I have running on 2.0.7.... well...

There you go.

Arantor

Would you believe there are people that have publicly called me narrow minded and claim I refuse to look beyond my own ideas? ;)

AllanD

Quote from: Arantor on May 23, 2014, 02:37:07 PM
Additionally, you really should check out what XenForo does with multi-quote. It's very slick and easy to use.

You are correct about this, it is a very easy use. Having something like this for SMF would be great.
Check out this great sites.
KnD Hosting

Oldiesmann

I'm not at all against adding this to 2.1. I am a member of several forums that have this, but I've never used it (I don't find myself quoting multiple posts all that often though). If someone wants to work on adding it, it's something we can consider. I imagine it wouldn't be that difficult to do with jQuery, though remembering which posts you want to quote across pages might be tricky.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

KensonPlays

Quote from: mcblaber on February 25, 2014, 05:05:46 PM
It's not the multi-quote functionality you were probably looking for... but on the reply page, you can easily insert multiple quotes from the topic by clicking "Insert Quote" from the Topic Summary.
What if you wanted to quote other threads too, not just the one you're viewing?

Arantor

-sigh- I see you still haven't learned to read more than a couple of posts up the thread or anything.

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Kindred on May 20, 2014, 11:05:17 AM
sure... it can be handy... but the number or requests for it do not indicate that it is in high demand.None of the forums that I am on (in a variety of systems) have it as a feature -- which disproves the statement that it is "one of the most basic features which all other boards have by default"

Here's another request to implement multi-quote. My experience is diametrically opposed to yours, virtually all the forums I am a member of have it as a feature and it is used extensively.

Arantor

(And again you'll notice the lead developer says he is not opposed to doing it, but the general sentiment is 'who is going to spend the time doing it'... there are only a few volunteers working on core dev, in their spare time, and the list could just go on and on and on and on...)

zappaDPJ

Quote from: Arantor on December 28, 2014, 09:16:27 AM
(And again you'll notice the lead developer says he is not opposed to doing it, but the general sentiment is 'who is going to spend the time doing it'... there are only a few volunteers working on core dev, in their spare time, and the list could just go on and on and on and on...)

I fully appreciate that SMF is a free to use product maintained by volunteers. I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm just trying to draw attention to areas that I feel would enhance SMF and bring it a little more in line with some of the competition, free or otherwise. I understand that there are constraints, I just find it a disappointing when one of those constraints appears to be based on the personal preferences of team members.

I should perhaps also say that some of the suggestions I've already made or bumped I've done so because I've been asked elsewhere to do just that by current team members. My forums provide my income, I'm also admin to some large and fairly influential forums so I like to think I have a reasonable grasp of what forum owners are currently looking for. I run a number of mid sized (1,000,000 post approx.) forums on SMF and I'd like those forums to remain on SMF but the software needs to evolve a little for me to do that, hence these suggestions :)

Arantor

I understand your disappointment but there really does need to be a sense of pragmatism; when there is a chronic shortage of dev time available, what gets worked on is really what the dev team is able to work on given time, motivation, energy etc.

The constraints are more serious than most people realise.

However I would also note that your concern is only too well understood. Probably better than you realise. There's a reason my badge is grey and not dev-team-orange... ;)

Oldiesmann

The problem isn't that we don't think it's useful - it's that we currently don't have the resources necessary to implement this. I'm working 43 hours a week and am already spending most of my free time on SMF (I haven't properly kept up with my own forum in a few years now).
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: