Advertisement:

Author Topic: [WIP] Translation Tools - Up for Grabs!  (Read 18937 times)

Offline SoLoGHoST

• SMF Hero
  • Real coders do not need to comment their code!
    • Dream Portal
[WIP] Translation Tools - Up for Grabs!
« on: March 02, 2014, 05:21:23 PM »
So, I started this mod back in the day and have no desire/motivation to finish it.  After installation of this mod, browse to:  index.php?action=ttools;sa=admin and there you will be able to upload language packs to be translated to.  You can upload tar.gz and/or .zip files with the language files in the root of the compressed file.  I have attached, both the Mod and SMF languages within a zip file (language Pack) to show you how it is done.  You can also upload language files 1 at a time.  It can handle different versions of language where you can lock and unlock files within a language version.  The idea behind locking files is that they don't get translated by others.  There is also permissions for this mod that will allow others to administrate language packs also.

Where I left off is in the Javascript that handled the permissions for users to be able to translate files in the language pack.  I didn't even start the Translations section located at:  index.php?action=ttools;sa=admin;section=translations or even the main page located at:  index.php?action=ttools (this page is supposed to be the front-end of translating files where people have permissions to translate files go.  This page would give them a select box of the languages that they have permission to translate, than they would click on a button to start the translation of those files, where the files would be listed and they would click on the file and the strings for those files would be outputted in in a textarea that they would translate from english to that language).  The idea was that they could save their progress on any strings that they have translated and continue translating at any other time to pick up where they left off.  Or, if others have the ability to translate that language, they can do it also.  The idea was to streamline translations so that multiple people could translate languages.  Although it wasn't my original thought to allow for multiple translation strings of the same language, this could be implemented easily, whereas, if there are more than 1 translator, it could show that translator the strings that others have translated, with the option to edit them, or check it off as a perfect translation, and/or just ignore them and translate the strings that haven't been translated yet for those languages.

The Translations section of the Admin located at:  index.php?action=ttools;sa=admin;section=translations was meant to list all translated files in all versions of translations and the percentage of those files that have been translated.  At the bottom of each table that outputted the language translation, was meant to be a Button to allow the language to be zipped up (when 100% complete, or whenever) that would automatically zip up the language files into a language pack.

Please feel free to take this mod and make any modifications to it as needed.  It is pretty well documented throughout the source code, but also, there are additional functions that are not being used currently, to help with the ideas presented in this topic.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:14:18 PM by SoLoGHoST »

Offline margarett

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Super Hero
Re: [WIP] Translation Tools - Up for Grabs!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:33:04 AM »
Great work, thank you for sharing.

* margarett is sad that he's not up to the task :(
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline SoLoGHoST

• SMF Hero
  • Real coders do not need to comment their code!
    • Dream Portal
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 01:06:30 PM »
No problem.  There are some references to Dream Portal in it, since it's original intention was to help alleviate the dreaded task of translating Dream Portal, but it only incorporates the DP Expand/Collapse for the "Language Settings" section, and only if DP is installed on the forum ofcourse.  Can easily be removed also.  The Add | Edit | Remove areas for Translators has a minor bug in it that will need to be fixed in the javascript (which is where I left off).  There is a function that will handle zipping up the language files, just need to pass the language files to it.  And even thought of the global variables within language files, like $txt, $scripturl, $context, etc. etc. that should just remain as they are when the language strings get translated.

Hope to see something good come out of this for the SMF Community!  I just don't have the time, and have been putting it off for so long now...

Good Luck to whomever takes on this project!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 03:46:36 AM by SoLoGHoST »

Offline Bobby

• I'm SMF Fan!
    • layphatvn on Facebook
    • layphat.com
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 08:03:55 AM »
Sorry, I can't see the attachments or I've missed something?

Offline glennmckenna

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 10:23:49 AM »
nope nore can i

Online Gary

• Lead Customizer
  • SMF Super Hero
  • So this is the luck of the draw...
    • Gazmanafc on Facebook
    • garygadsdon on LinkedIn
    • @Gazmanafc on Twitter
    • The Bongo Comics Fan Forum
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 10:41:04 AM »
You have to be a member of the Community Customiser Group which requires approval from the Lead Customiser.

Online Colin

• Lead Developer
  • SMF Hero
  • SMF Developer
    • colinschoen on GitHub
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

Offline karim-web

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 01:05:54 AM »
thank you so much Bro

Offline karim-web

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 01:07:50 AM »
me too  :( :( :( :(

Offline margarett

• SMF Friend
  • SMF Super Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 04:55:28 AM »
Well, you could just read the posts before yours :P
You have to be a member of the Community Customiser Group which requires approval from the Lead Customiser.
You can request membership at http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=profile;area=groupmembership
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

Over 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Offline Mstcool

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 05:59:25 PM »

Who's the lead customizer? Hehe....jk

But why cant regular members have access? Is it cuz of copyright stuff and like some people might steal other people's ideas?

Online Gary

• Lead Customizer
  • SMF Super Hero
  • So this is the luck of the draw...
    • Gazmanafc on Facebook
    • garygadsdon on LinkedIn
    • @Gazmanafc on Twitter
    • The Bongo Comics Fan Forum
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 12:52:58 PM »
But why cant regular members have access? Is it cuz of copyright stuff and like some people might steal other people's ideas?
You can, you just need to make a request for it (I say "Lead Customiser" since it's not always going to be me :P). It's there to prevent new or unskilled folks from accessing incomplete mods or themes, and then complaining about breaking their forum because of their own negligence, it's designed more for people who know what they are doing and are capable of diagnosing bugs and reporting them.

Offline Mstcool

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 06:29:35 AM »
You can, you just need to make a request for it (I say "Lead Customiser" since it's not always going to be me :P). It's there to prevent new or unskilled folks from accessing incomplete mods or themes, and then complaining about breaking their forum because of their own negligence, it's designed more for people who know what they are doing and are capable of diagnosing bugs and reporting them.

Oh, Ok. Thanks for clearing that up :)