IPB 2 > SMF 1.1 conversion problem!

Started by bobbinz, October 04, 2005, 02:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbinz

I'm trying to convert IPB 2 to SMF 1.1, and I'm using the latest converter but I keep getting this error message: The SMF database is working fine, and so is the IPB so I can't think what the problem is. Any help appreciated!

Sorry, the database connection information used in the specified installation of SMF cannot access the installation of Invision Power Board 2. This may either mean that the installation doesn't exist, or that the MySQL account used does not have permissions to access it.

xenovanis

Does your SMF database user has access to your IPB database and vice versa?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

bobbinz

Well I am the webmaster, and I am hosting my account via hxxp:vizaweb.com [nonactive] where they give you a control panel called cpanel, and phpmyadmin to add databases etc.

I also have SSH/Shell access on the account.

If I set up a database via the "Cpanel" I have no problems, yet if I try to set one up with phpmyadmin I get :

SQL query: Edit

CREATE DATABASE `engl_pong` ;

MySQL said: Documentation
#1044 - Access denied for user: 'engl@localhost' to database 'engl_pong'

So I presume there's a problem there somewhere?? I have written to my webhost with no reply as yet.

Is there anyway I can use SSH/Shell to give myself more permissions etc? I am using the username and password they gave me to log in to my control panel and everything else works fine.

P.S I know this topic is a bit out of your area now if it is my web hosts problem but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

xenovanis

You should create a database in cPanel. I'm just wondering why you are creating a new database as I assume you have SMF in one database and IPB in another database. If you want to use a new database for either install, you might save yourself the trouble of creating a new one and stick with just one database with different prefexes.

In your cPanel -> MYSQL you should be able to add users to a specific database.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

bobbinz

Sorry, a lot of that info I gave in the last message was to see if anyone could work out the problem.

I have an IPB v 2 forum with users and posts etc, and I set up SMF which is up and running, and everything is fine apart from when I run the conversion script which comes up with the message below.

Does my database username and password within SMF have to be the same for that of IPB for it to work?

xenovanis

The user of the IPB database should have access to the SMF database. The user of your SMF database should have access to your IPB database. You can set this in your cPanel. Go to MySQL databases, there are two dropdown menu's next to eachother where you can assign (add) users to databases.

bobbinz

Thank you, that part has now worked but a new problem has arisen :))

Converting...
Converting members...Successful.
Converting categories...Successful.
Converting boards...Successful.
Converting topics... Unsuccessful!
This query:

SELECT
    t.tid AS ID_TOPIC, t.pinned AS isSticky, hxxp:t.forum [nonactive]_id AS ID_BOARD,
    t.starter_id AS ID_MEMBER_STARTED, t.last_poster_id AS ID_MEMBER_UPDATED,
    hxxp:pl.pid [nonactive] AS ID_POLL, t.posts AS numReplies, t.views AS numViews,
    MIN(p.pid) AS ID_FIRST_MSG, MAX(p.pid) AS ID_LAST_MSG,
    t.state = 'closed' AS locked
    FROM `engl_ibrd1`.ibf_topics AS t, `engl_ibrd1`.ibf_posts AS p
    LEFT JOIN `engl_ibrd1`.ibf_polls AS pl ON (pl.tid = t.tid)
    WHERE p.topic_id = t.tid
    GROUP BY t.tid
    HAVING ID_FIRST_MSG != 0
    AND ID_LAST_MSG != 0
    LIMIT 1000, 500;

Caused the error:

Got error 12 from table handler

P.S - thanks for the rapid replies!!

bobbinz

Ok that part has now worked after a few tries, but now......:

Converting posts (this may take some time)... Unsuccessful!
This query:

NSERT INTO `engl_smf`.smf_messages
(ID_MSG, ID_TOPIC, posterTime, ID_MEMBER, subject, posterName, posterIP, smileysEnabled, modifiedTime, modifiedName, ID_BOARD, body)

==== Snip all messages etc....

Caused the error:

Out of memory; Check if mysqld or some other process uses all available memory. If not you may have to use 'ulimit' to allow mysqld to use more memory or you can add more swap space

xenovanis

My knowledge of MySQL is not sufficient enough, I'm afraid. It looks like you are running out of memory, you might want to ask your host if maybe he can do something about it. But maybe someone else can figure this out.  ;)

How big is your IPB database?

bobbinz

Thanks for trying anyway, you've been more than helpful.

My db can't be that big, a couple of meg I think?? it has 2161 messages.

Ben_S

root@shankly [~]# perror 12
System error:  12 = Cannot allocate memory

Looks like an issue with the server, might be worth asking your host about it.
Liverpool FC Forum with 14 million+ posts.

bobbinz

Thanks a lot for your help, I have now sorted it. I kept trying and in the end it went through and worked.

I was surprised at how well it transfered all my data.

Well done, and thanks a lot!

Advertisement: