News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Post content disappears for me, but other users can see it (I'm admin)

Started by Beowulf1976, March 07, 2014, 10:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beowulf1976

A lot of the posts I have done on my forum have disappeared.

The post is there with title, but the entire post content has disappeared. When I go to edit it there is no content in the post at all, so it won't let me save and come out, I have to go back instead.

When I have mentioned it to others they can still see the content.

I have tried viewing in both Chrome and Firefox and it's the same - content gone.  I have not try IE because I have not touched it since it force installed when I installed windows. (I hate IE)

Here is a screenshot of what the post looks like for me:

Anyone else have this problem? Could it be theme related? If so I will try standard theme...

Thanks in advance for your input.
"Them as can do has to do for them as can't. And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices."

Chas Large

Try the default "Curve" theme to isolate the problem. It could also be an ad blocker blocking the content, if you have one installed in your browser, try disabling it on your site.

Your link does not work.

Post a link to a post you have made pn your site so we can see if we can see the content, unless of course it's a private site.
My Modifications :)  My Forum

Please DO NOT PM me with support requests. Post the problem in the appropriate Support Board so everyone can benefit from the advice given.

Beowulf1976

I tried adblock disable on both chrome and firefox to no effect, tried changing theme back to core or curve and the forum now claims they are not installed, even though I can see them clearly within my file structure on cpanel.

link to example post: http://www.wrathofwisdom.com/forum/index.php?topic=75.0

if I look as a non-member or any other member account (such as the smftester account I just made, pm me if you want the password for the test account) then the post content is visible, yet on granny (member number 1 - admin) the content is not visible at all..

Here's a direct link to the screenshot that I took whilst logged in as granny (the link that broke above):

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/Beowulf1976/nopostcontentwowforum.png~original

So, it appears as though I have a problem on the number1 admin account? :(

EDIT: WTF!! Why are my links being locked?!
"Them as can do has to do for them as can't. And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices."

Kindred

your links show up just fine, they are just not "active" auto-links.

and spamming is NOT the way to get a post count, because mods like me will come along and delete such things.

as for your post...   the one you link to shows just fine for me... which suggests that there is an issue with your own browser...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Beowulf1976

I apologise for that, and I KNOW being an admin that spamming is not acceptable BUT when I try to provide links and someone says they do not work, what seemed like my only viable solution at the time was to gain the post count that I required for the links to "work".  In hindsight, I should have checked whether copying and pasting said links and editing the hxxp would work. So my bad.

Anyway, you have not read properly what I have said in my posts, YES guests can see the posts, YES my members can see the posts, NO my admin account cannot see the posts that this happens on!

I logged out and suddenly they were visible, I made the smftester account and they were still visible, I log back into my admin account and "poof" like magic the content has gone again.

As admin when I edited the post, the content wasn't even there then! I tried to just edit a letter in the post title and when I clicked submit/save whatever it is, the forum screamed that the message body was empty!

EDIT: Incidentally it is not theme or browser related, it is account related.

Antes

Can you attach your theme's display.template.php & modifications installed.

Beowulf1976

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/Beowulf1976/modsimage1.png~original

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c358/Beowulf1976/modsimage2.png~original

Sooo many mods (just about to update tapatalk, didn't notice it was outdated)

Sorry  :o

php file attached (if it lets me attach, I would have thought it would be a security risk...)

Kindred

instead of posting a screen shot of mods on a site which not everyone can get to (photobucket is blocked by my office network, for example), why don't you actually LIST the mods installed in the post?

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Beowulf1976

because there's 47 mods... and that's a lot to list when I have to type them out :P

Bear with me...

Beowulf1976

1.   Add Table, Td, Tr Button    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
2.   Profile Comments    2.0.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
3.   Like Posts    1.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
4.   Adk Shadow Box    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
5.   SimplePortal    2.3.5     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
6.   Avatar Rounded Corners    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
7.   SMFPacks Shoutbox    1.0.4     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
8.   Simple Youtube Video Embedder/BBC    1.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
9.   Enhanced Dropdown    1.3     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
10.   PayPal BBCode    0.3   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
11.   WYSIWYG Quick Reply    2.3     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
12.   Adk Snow Effect    2.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
13.   SMF 1.1.19 / 2.0.6 Update    1.0     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
14.   SMFBlog    2.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
15.   Tagging System    2.4.3     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
16.   eBay BBCode    2.0.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
17.   WysiBB for SMF    0.5.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
18.   Highslide Image Viewer    1.7     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
19.   Tapatalk SMF 2.0 RC5/Final Plugin    3.9.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
20.   Battle    1.13     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
21.   Welcome Topic Mod    2.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
22.   Board Icons    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
23.   Drafts    1.1.5   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
24.   The Rules    1.3     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
25.   SMF 2.0.7 Update    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
26.   Spoiler BBCode    1.1.3     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
27.   Add Favicon.ico Support    1.101     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
28.   SimplePokes    1.1     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
29.   SMF Staff Page    1.7     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
30.   New Topic Button    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
31.   Reason For Editing Mod    2.3.2     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
32.   Admin Notepad    2.0.2     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
33.   BK Modding Donate    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
34.   SA Facebook    2.0.2   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
35.   AutoAward    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
36.   ResizeImagesToFitScreen    0.1.6     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
37.   Google Translate for SMF 2.0    1.4   [ Install Mod ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
38.   Enhanced Quick Reply Box 2.0.2    2.0.2   [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
39.   Adk topic button    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
40.   TopicStarter Mod    1.7     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
41.   Tapatalk SMF 2.0 RC5/Final Plugin    3.9.1     [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
42.   Karma Smite Disable    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
43.   Simple Off-Topic BBC    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
44.   Add Join Date to Post    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
45.   SMF Gallery Lite    3.7     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
46.   BK Modding StatCounter    1.0     [ Uninstall ] [ List Files ] [ Delete ]
47.   Bookmarks

Copy paste ftw hahahh

Kindred

And do you have any mods which are currently restricted to admin only?

Because that is the only reason I can imagine that the display would be different for the admin.
Слaва
Украинi

Beowulf1976

I don't think so, I didn't even know one could "restrict mods to admin only" heheh

Beowulf1976

I can upgrade the "smftester" account to admin and give you access?

EDIT....

Now that IS weird.. I upgraded smftester account to admin and logged in as that, and I can see the posts that are not visible under my main admin account! (founder account)

So this is really a problem with that particular account, not other admins. So weird!

Lou69

Did this occur after the update to 2.0.6 or after the update to 2.0.7?

Also, backup your forum, or at least the default theme directory and then FTP a fresh copy of the default theme back onto the server. Clear the cache, then do a <ctrl>F5 and see what happens.

If still no good, you can try uninstalling one mod at a time, beginning with Topic Starter, followed by anything that appears to touch posting/display of a post.

You could also uninstall the 2.0.7 update and see what happens. Maybe do that first I suppose? <shrug> I'd probably try to fix this with the site on version 2.0.6 if you know that your PHP version is less that 5.5.

I did not see any security mods installed; are you using Crawlprotect or another source for a firewall/anti-spam?

Beowulf1976

Quote from: Lou69 on March 10, 2014, 10:09:23 PM
Did this occur after the update to 2.0.6 or after the update to 2.0.7?
It has been happening ever since I started the forum, so well before any mods got installed and before 2.0.7

Quote from: Lou69 on March 10, 2014, 10:09:23 PM
Also, backup your forum, or at least the default theme directory and then FTP a fresh copy of the default theme back onto the server. Clear the cache, then do a <ctrl>F5 and see what happens.

I know how to back up, I know how to FTP etc, but what do you mean by "default theme"? Do you mean the curve or whatever it was?

Quote from: Lou69 on March 10, 2014, 10:09:23 PMIf still no good, you can try uninstalling one mod at a time, beginning with Topic Starter, followed by anything that appears to touch posting/display of a post.

You could also uninstall the 2.0.7 update and see what happens. Maybe do that first I suppose? <shrug> I'd probably try to fix this with the site on version 2.0.6 if you know that your PHP version is less that 5.5.

I can start with the mods, but I am pretty sure I remember this problem before I put all the mods on the forum, so I don't know...

As it was doing it on 2.0.6 I don't think there's much point in uninstalling 2.0.7

Quote from: Lou69 on March 10, 2014, 10:09:23 PMI did not see any security mods installed; are you using Crawlprotect or another source for a firewall/anti-spam?

erm.. meep?

I don't have ANYTHING for firewall/antispam I didn't even know I needed such things, please explain?  Doesn't my host deal with that sort of thing?

Lou69

Well, the security question first.  :)   Yes, your Host likely is providing a basic firewall/spam package. However, it usually is not as robust as installing a couple of mods onto your forum. One mod is BadBehaviour and can be found in the Mod section.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2502

Another is Crawlprotect, it is not an SMF mod but you can download it from :  http://www.crawltrack.net/crawlprotect/

As for down grading to SMF 2.0.6. There are some memory issues if your are using 2.0.7 and your Host server has a version of PHP lower than 5.5. So, it is likely your version is less than 5.5 ( your Host can tell you, or you can look in your cPanel ) so going back to 2.0.6 and staying there is a safe move. Version 2.0.7 did not offer any security fixes so no worry there. Going to 2.0.6 will remove some 'unknown' from your problems.

Since this problem has been ongoing for so long, I would at least do the repair settings ..

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php    ... download at bottom of page.

As for the theme, the default Curve theme is in the directory named /Themes/default. Before you copy anything over, you can try to reset the themes directory by going to >Admin>Configuration>Themes and Layouts>Theme Settings. At the bottom there is an option to 'Attempt to reset all themes'. Click on that.

Do that and let us see what happens.   :)

Lou69

I should also suggest you go to the Admin>Maintenance>Forum Maintenance, and do all of the "Routine" tasks there. Then do the Database Tasks>Optimise all Tables.

Have you ever been into the MySQL database and altered Collation for the database? It probably should be 'utf8_general_ci'.

Beowulf1976

gah, this is way over my head, bear with me whilst I try my hardest to work this all out. :(

Advertisement: