News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again

Started by EL34, March 19, 2014, 01:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EL34

SMF 1.1.19
I searched and found lots of topics about this but most seem to be getting this error when trying to do something in the forum like move post, prune, etc
I am not having any of those problems.

This error only appears in my Forum error log for guest, not members and it has never happened to me doing anything to the post
I see that is has to do with the url being different.

I just moved my forum from a shared server to a cloud server and the new url is without the www
The old url was
www.xyz.com/Forum/Index.php

The new cloud server is without the www
xyz.com/Forum/Index.php

If you use the old url, it will resolve to the address without a www in your browser
I cannot set the forum config to use the www, because it causes problems, like never accepting a user name when logging in

I am guessing that the guest only errors come from being sent to the forum with the old url from all the links around the web?
I don't see any way to stop it because there are so many search engine links to my old forum with the www
So I would just like to turn off that error if possible

Is there a way to bypass this error check in the code?
Anyone know of a code mod to eliminate this?

Thanks for your help
Forum History -> EZBoard -> YABB -> SMF 1.1.19 -> SMF 2.0.19

Kindred

Turning off an error is the worst way to deal with it,

Use an htaccess file to force a redirect of anyone using www to the non www address.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

EL34

Ok, will do

So you believe that is the root of it also?
people coming to my forum with the old www address?

EL34

Unable to verify referring url. Please go back and try again

Ok, I must amend my first post, it seems that I am getting this error when I try and delete post older than a certain number of days.

This only started happening when I moved my forum from a shared server to a cloud server
As I mentioned in post one, the old url started with www but the new url does not have the www and from what I have read here, that seesm to be the issue.

BTW, this is on a IIS 7.5 2008 R2 windows server and I am not sure if you use .htaccess?
Anyone with a windows server having the same issues??
thanks

a10

Just a few remarks. Am not using windows server, but had all kinds of similar headaches, moved forum, changed domain name, used redirect and for some random reason went non-www... reverted to www and problems dissipated.

And had to experiment with cookies settings, using 'Enable local storage of cookies' worked here. And  members had all kinds of problems, so changed cookie name, asked everyone to clear browser cache, update stored link etc. All cooled down after a period.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

EL34

Thanks, I just used the forum repair tool and it suggested a different cookie

I let it change the cookie then I deleted my cookies in chrome
It asked for a login

I went to admin to try and delete some old topics and it worked the first time, but if I entered new set of criteria for number of days and tried to do a 2nd deletion of old topics, I got the error again.

So I left admin, by going to the home page of the forum and then back to admin

Did another old post deletion and it worked again.

So I have figured out how to prune old topics

I emptied my forum error log just now, lets see how many guest errors I get now

Advertisement: