News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

A Question before I upgrade

Started by MaryLouW, March 27, 2014, 12:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaryLouW

Hi SMF folks.  I have finally decided to give the upgrade a try.  I think I am ready. I've read through the instructions several times, and know how to backup my database using SqLMyAdmin.  I downloaded the upgrade file which is smf_2-0-7_upgrade.zip and unzipped it. Here's where my question comes in.

The instructions say to copy all the files via ftp to the server.  The same file names are already there from the 1.9 version.  Should I delete those folders and files before I upload the new ones?  Or, will the new folders and files simply overwrite the old ones? 

Colin

Just let it overwrite the files.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

MaryLouW

Okay, but what about the files that are in those folders that are no longer needed? Will they be removed?  I don't want a lot of excess junk that I don't know what it's for.  :)

Also, I do not have gzip.  Any suggestion as to where to get it?  I did find it on the net but don't see how to install it.

Illori

by default unless you delete the extra files they will not be touched by the upgrade.

if your *server* needs gzip you need to contact your host.

MaryLouW

Okay, thanks!  So, in the Packages folder, all those that I have now will still be there?  I've heard that most of them don't work with the newer version.  Should I remove all the packages first?

As for the gzip,  I thought it was something I needed to have. In the file manager area where you back up your database, there's an option to back up using gzip. It used to work at one time but it says it can't find gzip so I thought maybe it was something I needed to have.   Getting my host to do anything is like pulling hen's teeth so I guess I can live without it. 

Oh, when I was doing some maintenance  a few weeks ago, I got a message saying my database was out of date and that I needed to update it.  I have no clue how to do that.  Any suggestions?  Will this cause a problem when I do the SMF upgrade?

Sir Osis of Liver

The packages will still be in /Packages directory, but won't be installed.  You'll need to find current versions that are compatible with 2.0.x, same with your themes.  The database will be updated when you run upgrade.php.

If you exported the database as .gzip, you should be able to import it if necessary.  I have seen phpmyadmin implementations that would allow you to export .gzip, but not import it, but that's unusual.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

MaryLouW

I know I said just one more question but one more popped up.   When I upgrade, will those mods show up on the mods list waiting to be installed or can I simply delete them from the folder?  I am going to start this process today and am really nervous about it knowing the problems I've had in the past with updating the 1.x versions.

On the gzip, I only see that when I go to the forum maintenance screen in SMF.  There is a box that's pre-checked saying to back up using gzip.  When I try that, it says gzip not found so I back up the long way - without it.

Recently, I've learned how to go to the server and export the database as a sql file so I think that's what I need to do.

mashby

The mods will still be there in theory, but essentially they will go away after upgrade. Depending on the mod, you might be able to reinstall it after the upgrade.

Think of it like this. If you upgrade your 1.1.x site, you are replacing the entire guts of the site and starting with a fresh version of 2.0.x. No mods installed. All of your previous custom themes are rendered useless if not dangerous.

Before you upgrade, make sure any important mods (which is subjective) is available in the 2.0.x branch. Same with themes, although with these, this is really just a cosmetic thing. But still important to consider before upgrading. After the upgrade, install new themes/mods and be on your merry way. My 1.1.x site went from over 100 mods to just 9 now. I still went nuts with the 2.0.x themes, but I like that part.

How are you proceeding right now?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

MaryLouW

Thanks!  Now I understand.  I won't have any left over garbage.  So, I can delete the 1.x mod upgrades and all the rest of them.  I rather like the plain SMF blue.  My site has always been blue so I can live with that while I learn where things are. 

I am proceeding as follows:
1. Backed up the database via SMF file manager. It saved it as an .sql file.

2. Right now, am backing up the entire forum to an external drive as there are some things I may want - like some of my smileys.  Have about an hour to go.

3. When this finishes backing up, I plan to visit my host and export the database so I'll have a second backup, just in case.

4.  Will upload all of the files that I unzipped in the downloaded 2.7 upgrade.  Then check the CHMOD folder and file values.

5.  Will run pirc-forum.com/update.php and   after that...  I will just keep my fingers crossed that all goes well!!  If not, I'll be back.   I think I've done everything right, I just wasn't sure what to expect when finished.   Now I understand, it will be just as if I installed a whole new program but will still have my users and posts, etc that are in the database.  Whew..  will be so happy when this is done so I can breathe! 

I appreciate the support, it really helps!!!  THANKS~

Illori

MaryLouW

I used that as well as exporting it so I would have two.  However, nothing worked! I have a huge mess at the moment.  The upgrade seemed to work but when I clicked the link to my site, it still had my old theme and only one option... messages.  There are no other options of any kind.   I can see my forums and click on a link but there is no navigation of any kind.  Where do I go from here?  I'm attaching what I see when I go to http://pirc-forum.com - not sure if that's what you'll see though.

I think I should probably just start over with a new version rather than an upgrade but don't know how to go about doing that.  Do I have to delete my current database and create a new one? Are there instructions somewhere for a new install?  I would have to put it in the same place where the current one is.  I sure hate losing 7 years of stuff but I don't see any other way.   Open to suggestions.

Illori

kat

That old theme... If you use FTP to delete it, the forum should revert to the SMF default. I believe the repair file, that Illori mentions gives you the option to revert to the default theme, too, now.

http://pirc-forum.com/index.php?theme=1 might switch you to the default theme, if you're logged-in as admin, too.

MaryLouW

Well, now I've really messed it up.  When I clicked on the link  with the theme=1, I did get the SMF default theme but not in all areas.  Everything was there, my files, posts, etc.  But, it still wasn't right because it wasn't using the theme everywhere.

So, I tried the repair.  That's where I messed it up and now don't know how to fix it.  It showed the url's pointing to the default but it also had links to my old theme which isn't even there - I deleted it earlier.  So, I deleted those links... now nothing works. 

This is what I'm getting now:
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

But when I run the repair again, it tells me I have server errors.  I didn't have them until I deleted my theme links.   I did click on all the suggested links but they were the same as what was there.

In addition, the repair doesn't show any folders at all for my theme.  Any suggestions?   I sure hate to start over when I know all of my data is there, I just need to know what to do to get to it.

kat

The "Can't connect to the database" thing, points to username/password. Or, even, the actual name of the database.

MaryLouW

I am using all those that they recommend and they were not changed.  I have that same info in a notepad and it is correct.  There are no paths to the themes though. I think that's where the problem is. There must be a way to fix this.

MaryLouW

I fixed it!   I compared the settings.php file to the settings backup file and saw that the settings pointed to localhost but the backup file pointed to the database name.  So, I copied that line from the backup and replaced the one in the settings and much to my surprise, it worked!   :)   I think I'm back on track now. I am seeing the SMF default theme.

Thanks for the help and support..  I lear4ned a lot from this!!

MaryLouW

I'm back!!    :)   I have checked all of the options, all of my boards, etc. Everything works but one thing.  When I click on the profile link, I get a white page.  Other than that, everything else works perfectly. 

Any ideas as to how I can get the profiles back?  Everything else looks great!!

kat

Pure hunch...

I can only think, at this stage, that this COULD be related to this:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=502354.0

MaryLouW

Unfortunately, that's not the issue.  I pay for a good deal of bandwidth, etc and only use like 2% of it.

I cannot access anything related to the profile which means, I cannot reply to private messages or send them because it pulls the name from the profile.  There has to be some little thing somewhere that's not kicking in.  This one is important because I can't view a new users profile and they cannot change it or add their pictures and such. 

Any other suggestions?   Every other area works perfectly.   Is there a "switch" somewhere that turns off access to profiles?

Advertisement: