News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

A Question before I upgrade

Started by MaryLouW, March 27, 2014, 12:41:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kat

Oddness.

Anything in the ol' error log?

MaryLouW

No.... nothing that I could see.   When I click on Profile, this is what I see on the url

http://pirc-forum.com/index.php?action=profile
http://pirc-forum.com/index.php?action=profile;area=account
http://pirc-forum.com/index.php?action=profile;area=forumprofile

I sure hope someone can solve this because I really REALLY don't want to start all over from the beginning. 

Illori

check for an error_log or similar named file and see if it has anything related as well as your smf error log.

MaryLouW

I did check the SMF error log and all that's there are users logging on that forgot passwords and such.  I don't know where else I would look for an error log..   :-[

Kindred

A files called error.log or error_log
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MaryLouW

I understand what you said but where should I look? 

Kindred

Forum or website root directory, usually
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

MaryLouW

I only found one file called error.php and that was part of the install package.  Everything else works perfectly - except for no profiles.  I'm sure I can't run the upgrade.php again, can I?

MaryLouW

I know the profile info is there somewhere otherwise we wouldn't be able to see our avatars. They come from the profile.  The problem is, how to get them to let us see them.   :)

mashby

I applaud you for getting this far!  8)

I thought I had an account on your site, but you might have removed it which is fine. Mind if I join again?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

pirc-bw

I'm an admin there, Come on over!

I am watching this thread to see what you come up with.  Just in case it happens on my board someday.
Merlene
Version Information:
Forum version: SMF 2.0.16
Current SMF version: SMF 2.0.16
www.bw-forums.com

MaryLouW

Hi!!   You did have an account but I probably deleted it because we keep our member list really small  and delete those who have been inactive for over 6 months. 

I'm not sure you can log in.  I just tried it and I got a blank page!   I didn't spot that before because I hadn't logged out.  It's the registration page. 

Please do try and register - I need help... badly!

mashby

Ah! Yeah, the registration page is rather white and it's spring time. One of those is a good thing. Are you able to create new members from the admin side?
- James M. Barrie

MaryLouW

I"m not sure, I've never done it.   Let me see if I can figure out how.  I have a second account but it it won't let me log in with the other one, it changes the name to me.  I'll be back.

MaryLouW

Try using Phedra  with password of doll1010 - I can change the password later.   Thanks!!

MaryLouW

OH, that probably won't work either.  I can send you a PM with my password and I can log out. Would that do it?

mashby

OK, logged in OK. That user isn't really a true admin. However, I'm not even sure it will matter. I'm wondering what the permissions are set to for those files?

You can absolutely PM me!
- James M. Barrie

mashby

OK, so you can change your password on Phedra.

I don't see anything too out of the ordinary on your settings. But of course the white screen is a 500 error. How did you upgrade your site? Did you FTP up the new files or use File Manager? Or some other way?
- James M. Barrie

MaryLouW

When I uploaded the files, I was using FTP but it kept timing out and restarting.  It was a long process.  It was the Sources that gave me the most trouble.  So, to be sure they all uploaded, I went to the server and used the file manager there and uploaded them again.  It would only let me upload one at a time and that took forever. 

If you want to send me your email, I can re-register you as an admin.  I couldn't find where to do that last night but after carefully comparing my settings to those on a friend's forum, I noticed that my admin areas reverted back to the menu being down the left side like it was before!   It wasn't that way when I first set up the features and such.  I wasn't seeing it before because I wasn't looking on the left column - I was looking for the pop-down menus that I had in the beginning.  That's okay, I prefer it that way.

I did notice I have a huge number of errors in the error log.  183 of them - many from banned users that are using bots to try and get back in.  I also noticed some references to my default theme from my old version.. like this:

http://pirc-forum.com/index.php?http://pirc-forum.com/
8: Undefined index: allow_view_contact
File: /services/webpages/util/1/t/1th9ibci9.site.aplus.net/pirc-forum.com/public/Themes/ML-default/index.template.php
Line: 594 

There may be something in the error logs that could give a clue to the problem.   I sure hate to give up because it's 7 years of work there.

Illori

is ML_default a 2.0+ theme? if not that may be why that error is happening. if it is not a 2.0 theme, delete it from the admin panel and the files [maybe put them on your computer in case you want the theme updated someday in the future]

Advertisement: