News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Maybe in our world there lives a happy little responsive Curve2 over there

Started by Antes, April 02, 2014, 03:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tekkla

Quote from: Antechinus on April 03, 2014, 03:48:55 PM
Why frameworks suck
Ehm.

a) Outdated in case of Bootstrap.
b) Nothing special. Simple and common guidelines for using HTML5 + CSS3 in combination with JS.
c) Most "do nots" are done in SMF.
d) Using a framework does not mean to use all of it.

Let us stop this discussion here. For me it's a little bit like running in circles. :)

Quote from: Antechinus on April 03, 2014, 03:48:55 PMI'm all in favour of heavily commenting CSS, and minifying it before it's sent to the browser.

Commenting, minifying (combining) and proper caching. Jupp. I'm with you.

Antechinus

Hopefuly most of the do nots wont be in 2.1. :D I'm well aware that 1.1.x and 2.0.x are far from perfect.

But yeah, I'm happy to stop now. A lot of this comes down to personal preference anyway.

rower

Users need flat theme build only for CSS. In mobile device im using tapatalk...

Antes

Quote from: rower on April 05, 2014, 02:44:07 PM
Users need flat theme build only for CSS. In mobile device im using tapatalk...

I think you mean *with*, yea Curve2 doesn't have images for bar places etc... Its mostly done with CSS. About flat theme we discussed it (inside) and we're keeping Curve2 as it is :) with curves :D

Petter B

I am very happy SMF finally will get a responsive theme, it´s the way to go!  :)

As I understand this will only affect the Curve2-theme and not add any kind of responsiveness to all the old and custom built themes out there.
Do you think we are better of:
1. Customizing Curve2 to look like our old themes
or
2. Adding the responsive css parts from Curve2 to our theme?

If 2, it would be great if someone made a manual on how implement the changes. Well, the very best would be a mod that made the changes to our custom theme, but I guess that would not be possible...

Antes

Quote from: Petter B on April 09, 2014, 01:55:22 AM
I am very happy SMF finally will get a responsive theme, it´s the way to go!  :)

As I understand this will only affect the Curve2-theme and not add any kind of responsiveness to all the old and custom built themes out there.
Do you think we are better of:
1. Customizing Curve2 to look like our old themes
or
2. Adding the responsive css parts from Curve2 to our theme?

If 2, it would be great if someone made a manual on how implement the changes. Well, the very best would be a mod that made the changes to our custom theme, but I guess that would not be possible...

We had some structure changes (yet some more will be done) in Curve2, so I think some parts will apply to old themes but in general it probably look bad. You can grab my work here : https://github.com/Antes/kittenground/blob/responsive_paws/Themes/default/css/index.responsive.css

Robert.

Sunburned Goose

I've been looking at a Bootstrap 3.0 implementation for a while that leaves many of the features intact.  The problems for me are tables.  This page uses BS3 w/ a fluid grid & breakpoints.

Here's some screens where I did some reflecting on the header.  Here it is on the desktop, tablet, and phone.

http://forum.tiedtheleader.com/?theme=43

Good luck with your work.  SMF needs this capability by default.

[yub] Lazo

Glad to see this, keep the good work up. Can't wait for the first stable version of 2.1!  :)

Dynamic forum signatures v1.2

Antes

I like teasing more and more :P so here is the new board-index (Captured via Samsung Galaxy SIII)

live627

Quote from: Antes on April 10, 2014, 05:11:53 PM
I like teasing more and more :P so here is the new board-index (Captured via Samsung Galaxy SIII)
Gradient is cut off.

margarett

I think that's just the number of colors of the image (if we're talking about the same thing :P )
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Bloc

What happens in that small space when a board has one 50.000+ posts...? And why keep the linebreak in "last post"? Would seem better to keep that entire line in one sentence.

Antes

Quote from: live627 on April 10, 2014, 08:49:31 PM
Gradient is cut off.

hu? (read this without drinking my first coffee)

Quote from: Colby67 on April 11, 2014, 02:03:33 AM
What happens in that small space when a board has one 50.000+ posts...? And why keep the linebreak in "last post"? Would seem better to keep that entire line in one sentence.
that probably break the layout especially when a board has 1.000.000 posts in it. I'm trying to show everything on acceptable layout, still in long term things will change - its from code, I'll change it just thinking what to do :)

Antechinus

Suggestion: ditch the topic and post counts on mobile. Personally, I've even ditched them on desktop sometimes, and nobody complains about it. If you want to keep them with a compact layout, you can always use the title attribute on the board link.

Would also suggest truncating the board description to one line of text (overflow ellipsis) or even having no board description. The standard interface includes a lot of stuff that is basically just there to stop large screens looking empty. It's not actually necessary.

Bloc

Except when you do want to read that topic/post count on the mobile too. The key is layout control - not content control(at least to a lesser degree).

Antechinus

Which in practice is basically never. I mean seriously, how many times have you actually wanted to know exactly how many topics and posts are in a board? My bet is that 99.9% of the time you don't give a rat's, and even when you do take notice of those stats it's only because they're in your face. If they weren't, you wouldn't miss them.

However:

Quote from: What I just saidIf you want to keep them with a compact layout, you can always use the title attribute on the board link.

Dragooon

Quote from: Antechinus on April 11, 2014, 02:40:53 PM
If you want to keep them with a compact layout, you can always use the title attribute on the board link.
Pretty sure that'd be useless on a mobile/compact device

Antechinus

Dunno. Never browse on mobile myself. Have to get someone to try it.

Bobby

Hi all,
The SMF 2.1 default theme (Curve2) isn't responsive when I resize/stretch my computer browser! It's just responsive on the mobile device, isn't it?  So is it a "fully responsive" theme? :-)

Advertisement: