News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Maybe in our world there lives a happy little responsive Curve2 over there

Started by Antes, April 02, 2014, 03:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricky.

Dragooon

Quote from: Antechinus on April 03, 2014, 03:48:55 PM
Quote from: Tekkla on April 03, 2014, 05:25:29 AMClean isn't only small code. It's also should be readable and reusable within and outside of the scope it was created for.

Where did I say it shouldn't be? Why would I want code to be clean, if not to make it readable and useable? I'm all in favour of heavily commenting CSS, and minifying it before it's sent to the browser.

Why frameworks suck
Ehm...to be fair that site is using reveal-js, which is a framework for HTML5 presentations...

Antes

Quote from: DeroZ on April 20, 2014, 05:50:09 PM
where can i see a demo?

I can't promise to keep this place up-to-date (because I'm working on different things), but you can get some idea here :)

DeroZ

radu81

sorry for my bad english

Akyhne

Trying to guess how people wants to experience a website this way, isn't one I like. And honestly, I don't see the point.
Tablets and phones are getting higher and higher resolutions, therefore responsive themes becomes less and less a great idea.

Maybe a few years back...!

Bloc

Quote from: Alex@ on May 16, 2014, 05:47:13 PM
Trying to guess how people wants to experience a website this way, isn't one I like. And honestly, I don't see the point.
Tablets and phones are getting higher and higher resolutions, therefore responsive themes becomes less and less a great idea.

I disagree. Viewing a desktop-made theme on 720x1280/1280x720 phone is still worse with things like dropdown, multicolumns/tables and small(ish) links. It just don't work on a 5 inches device compared to a (for example) 24 inches one. You need bigger hit areas for clumsy fingers, no hovering schemes to show a menu, less columns that don't look cramped and so on.

One can argue about how it should actually look designwise..but theres no doubt a separation must be made.

Antes

As long as the screen sizes stays same, higher resolution doesn't fix the problem for view-point. I'm using my 4'' Lumia (800x480) to real time testing, I also used Galaxy S3/S4, all the phones benefits the changes done via responsive CSS.

Bloc

Not sure if I understood your correctly, Antes :) ..but just shrinking down a webpage meant for 24'' 1280x720 will of course "fit" on a 1280x720 phone..its just that the pixels are so dense you can't see properly.  And at my age I need them to be a bit bigger lol.

Responsive can change that by adding buttons that are larger for example, on phones. If, as I've learned, you also detect the medium though css, you can make big(ish) linked buttons on 1280px phone - but regular links on 1280px monitors. Its then a combination: both medium and resolution have to be taken into account to make it optimal on every medium.

What really would be helpful, its that a screen also reported its physical size to the webpage somehow(maybe it does already?)..then you could design for 1080p on any physical size...

Dragooon

QuoteWhat really would be helpful, its that a screen also reported its physical size to the webpage somehow(maybe it does already?)..then you could design for 1080p on any physical size...
That's what he was saying, it already does that and it's designed in such a way that the screen's physical size is taken into account and not the pixel resolution

Antes

Bloc

But then its even more important to separate the two, instead of just adding the view-port meta tag. The articles you linked to basically says avoid using it.

I think I have to experience this for myself, figure out what works best. There are clearly a lot of confusion as to what is optimal. :D From a designer point of view(and user) I foremost want my design to look great and be equally readable on every medium. That means using methods that allow me to do that, and not just leave it up to the medium at hand.

Antes

If you are going to separate things go for mobile (jQMobile or etc...), if you don't want to create another (child) theme then go for responsive.

Bloc

Yup, responsive is the way to go..but I need also to have a way to say: hey, this is 1280 and I can have 3 columns here, but on phones(since they are smaller) i just want 2 columns since the text will be more cramped here(when the text have the approx same physical size as the monitor).

Do you see the problem? :) A lot of other things are solved fine by RD, but avoiding one-column-fits-all-design I need that kind of control to make best use of widescreens as well as mobile phones, especially when they both have high resolutions.

Dragooon

Quote from: Colby67 on May 17, 2014, 07:13:29 AM
Yup, responsive is the way to go..but I need also to have a way to say: hey, this is 1280 and I can have 3 columns here, but on phones(since they are smaller) i just want 2 columns since the text will be more cramped here(when the text have the approx same physical size as the monitor).

Do you see the problem? :) A lot of other things are solved fine by RD, but avoiding one-column-fits-all-design I need that kind of control to make best use of widescreens as well as mobile phones, especially when they both have high resolutions.
Uhm, that's what we've been saying. You CAN do that via responsive design. Just see getbootstrap.com on your desktop and then a 1080p phone

Bloc

well, ok, but I don't want a bootstrap thingie to be smacked into a theme - I want to learn what it does instead. But I'll check it out.

I guess my argument was more with this:
Quote from: Alex@ on May 16, 2014, 05:47:13 PM

.than anything else. So we are possibly promoting the same thing here.

Advertisement: