Redirect to Post Topic After Posting, Instead of Redirecting to Board

Started by RubberDucky, April 10, 2014, 04:40:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RubberDucky

Hi,

I have just managed to install SMF about an hour ago, and I love it so far, but I noticed that when I post a new thread or reply, instead of the page redirecting to the post that I posted, it redirects to the board listing everyone's thread title instead.

Is there a way to make it so after I post a thread/reply, to make it redirect to my actual post that I posted instead?
My gaming forum: http://gamingforums.hostei.com. Please visit my gaming forum.
I want to become a bigforum when I grow up.

margarett

There is an option for that in your profile and there is a global option in ACP -> Current Theme but I'm not on the computer right now to tell you exactly where...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

kat

Admin>Themes and Layout>Theme settings. :)

Click on "Change current options for all members using this theme", under a theme name and put a check in "Return to topics after posting by default."

Unfortunately, this is one of those settings that you'd expect to be global, but isn't. You need to do that for every theme, individually.

A lot of us believe that this should be the default setting. Unfortunately, our project manager's a bit weird and prefers that to be as it is. ;)

Kindred

I think someone was going to change it in 2.1,despite my completely logical arguments against it...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

RubberDucky

Quote from: Kindred on April 10, 2014, 07:16:47 PM
I think someone was going to change it in 2.1,despite my completely logical arguments against it...

Hi, is there a post describing the completely logical arguments against it? I just can't seem to figure out any advantages to the current way it is by default, because usually people want to see their post right after they've posted, instead of just seeing a list of threads.
My gaming forum: http://gamingforums.hostei.com. Please visit my gaming forum.
I want to become a bigforum when I grow up.

Kindred

that is contrary to logic.

I just posted. Why would I want to see the post that I just made?
If I wanted to review it, I would have used preview...   since I just made the post, I am done with that thread and ready to move on to another thread in the forum...

Personally, I feel that anyone who goes BACK to the post they just made is being completely illogical. :D
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

player.samp

Quote from: Kindred on April 13, 2014, 08:35:59 PM
that is contrary to logic.

I just posted. Why would I want to see the post that I just made?
If I wanted to review it, I would have used preview...   since I just made the post, I am done with that thread and ready to move on to another thread in the forum...

Personally, I feel that anyone who goes BACK to the post they just made is being completely illogical. :D

To check if you have any spelling mistake for example. Maybe you would like to add one thing, which you recalled only after you posted the post?

Anyway, you can do it with each post you post. Just click on the "Attachments and other options", and tick the 'Return to this topic.'

Kindred

And I still feel that it is completely illogical.   If you cared about spelling, then check before you hit post. That's what the preview is for.

It honestly boggles me as to why anyone would ever want to return to the post that they just made.
Слaва
Украинi

margarett

You are now discussing semantics, both of you :P It's a matter of personal preference, methinks. And that's not really something either of you will be able to convince the other about, are you? ;D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

mashby

I prefer seeing what I just posted after I click Post. Is that illogical? Hell no. It's subjective. And guess what, there's a check box for me to be illogical. Sweet.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Kindred

Lol...   I know..   But I am serious, I just don't understand WHY you would do that... ;)
Слaва
Украинi

mashby

OK, I'll elaborate. I don't use WYSIWYG and I don't click Preview. To me, it's not really final until I click Post. And then I get the immediate satisfaction of seeing it finalized. I'm results-oriented and that Post button and seeing it immediately thereafter satisfied that part of me. And I often click Modify immediately after seeing it. :)
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

paulasheri

well, i'm late to the discussion but i'm trying to find a mod or setting option to change my 2.0.11 setting to let me see what i posted after hitting post and not back to the list of threads.

Clearly some have no interest in seeing their post after, but some of us do.  Logical or not, i want to see what it looks like once posted.  Yes there is a preview, but until it's published, it's still a draft in my mind and i want to make sure it translates to the thread the way i wanted.  Hell, sometimes i just want to see it to admire it! lol

So IS there a way to CHOOSE to stay in the thread after posting?  I've tried various settings and not had much luck. 

margarett

Profile --> Modify Profile --> Look and Layout --> Return to topics after posting by default.
This is for yourself. If you want to reset it for everyone:
Quote from: kat on April 10, 2014, 06:55:27 AM
Admin>Themes and Layout>Theme settings. :)

Click on "Change current options for all members using this theme", under a theme name and put a check in "Return to topics after posting by default."

Advertisement: