Parental consent form

Started by Carol Steele, April 12, 2014, 06:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carol Steele

I would like to modify the parental consent form for people who are below the age limit in the UK - can any kind soul direct me to the file that I need to alter.

Thanks in advance

Carol

TheKnown

guessing that would be in either Registration.php in sources directory or Registration.template.php in the default theme directory, but would need to know what version of SMF you are using :)

Carol Steele

Hi Matt,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I am using version 2.0.7 - but with the Gamus shell (if that makes a difference).

I will check if I can see anything in either of those two files which is pertinent.

Thanks again

Carol

Kindred

Gamus shell? What is that?

And no...  You should not need to edit a source file or a template file. Look I'm the language files.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

TheKnown

would depend on what they wish to modify ...

Sir Osis of Liver

The coppa form is compiled by function CoppaForm() in /Sources/Register.php, using language strings found in /Themes/default/languages/Login.english.php (search for 'coppa').
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Carol Steele

Sorry perhaps I should have said Theme and not shell ........ and I spelt it incorrectly too  :( - it should have been Gumus lol

Ideally what I would like to do is direct it to a downloadable PDF file which can be printed off, filled in and then returned to me in the post.

Sorry if I misled you with saying shell instead of Theme

Carol

margarett

Hi Carol

Please don't use the report to moderator for support issues.

I'm moving this to an appropriate board
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Carol Steele

Hi Margarett,

Thanks for moving it, I was unsure where it should have been published originally.

However, I wasn't the one who clicked on the 'Reprt to Moderator' link - somebody else must have done that :(

Sir Osis of Liver

function CoppaForm() cobbles the form together using registration form inputs and language strings.  The registering member gets an option to display the form in a new window, or download it as a text file (approval.txt).  What doesn't it do that you need?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

margarett

Quote from: Carol Steele on April 14, 2014, 01:48:29 PM
However, I wasn't the one who clicked on the 'Reprt to Moderator' link - somebody else must have done that :(
Ups :P You are right and I am sorry for saying that :(

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Carol Steele

Quote from: Krash. on April 14, 2014, 01:58:15 PM
function CoppaForm() cobbles the form together using registration form inputs and language strings.  The registering member gets an option to display the form in a new window, or download it as a text file (approval.txt).  What doesn't it do that you need?

Hi Krash,

I would like it to download/display a PDF document which I have devised for this - headed letter type of document which looks much more official and I can add my own wording so that it looks slightly better :)

Thanks,

Carol

Kindred

That ends up being moderately more complicated -- since the PDF can not be displayed "inline"
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Carol Steele

Quote from: Kindred on April 24, 2014, 08:19:57 AM
That ends up being moderately more complicated -- since the PDF can not be displayed "inline"

Unfortunately, it is displaying an empty text file if a user opts to download it at the moment  :(

margarett

If it doesn't need to be displayed inline, I see no reason why not to replace that text file with your own PDF...
Let me have a look ;)

Carol Steele

margarett

To be honest, I don't really know how exactly SMF works with coppa (it's really the first time I'm looking into that code...)

I see that SMF generates a text file (I do get a text file WITH content, not empty like you got), but I don't know why :P

Well, in Register.template.php, there is this line here:
<span><a href="', $scripturl, '?action=coppa;form;member=', $context['coppa']['id'], '" target="_blank" class="new_win">', $txt['coppa_form_link_popup'], '</a> | <a href="', $scripturl, '?action=coppa;form;dl;member=', $context['coppa']['id'], '">', $txt['coppa_form_link_download'], '</a></span>
This line shows the first link to the forum in popup and the link for the text file. You can easily replace that with your own PDF (I imagine you don't want the popup form also).

If you put your PDF in your forum root (same folder with SSI.php) and name it "coppa_form.pdf", that line can become:
<span><a href="', $boardurl, '/coppa_form.pdf" target="_blank" class="new_win">', $txt['coppa_form_link_popup'], '</a></span>
(note: you need to globalize $boardurl in that function)

While this allows you to have your own PDF, it surely doesn't allow you to have an automated way to receive it. The current options are post mail and fax (yikes!). You would need to provide an email address to receive it (not sure if that is legal enough...), which might open you to spam...

Carol Steele

Thanks Margarett,

Yes I agree - Fax (yikes), I dispensed with faxes when I stopped your modems in my computer (god knows how many years ago that was  ;D)

You mentioned globalising $boardurl in the function that you mentioned, how do I do that?

For registrations which requires COPPA, when you first set up the registration, it allows you to add a postal address which is shown to the under age registrant when they elect to to join - so I should imagine (hope) that this would continue to happen.

Thanks again

margarett

This
// Template for giving instructions about COPPA activation.
function template_coppa()
{
global $context, $settings, $options, $txt, $scripturl;

Becomes:
// Template for giving instructions about COPPA activation.
function template_coppa()
{
global $context, $settings, $options, $txt, $scripturl, $boardurl;

(notice the extra variable in the "global" declaration ;) )

Carol Steele

Thank you so much for helping me out with this, I will make backups first and then try it out later on this evening once I have tweaked the pdf file to how I want it to look.

If it works I owe you a bouquet of flowers  :).  I will let you know later as I am sure this thread will be useful for quite a few people.

A very grateful user

Carol

Advertisement: