News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

An Odd One...

Started by FrizzleFried, December 22, 2016, 12:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrizzleFried

OK... so I banned a user a couple years ago...

Today this user I banned posted on another site a "NEW USER EMAIL" that HE received from MY forum via email... for a new user who registered yesterday.

I've likely had hundreds of registrations between the time I banned him and today... yet this is the fist time he's gotten an email.

Nothing has changed.  AND he wasn't even an admin/management when he was a member... just a regular old member.

He POSTED the text of the email he received (on another forum we both frequent)... and would have no other way of knowing who just registered yesterday.

HOW in the heck did that happen?  (I have since gone in to his banned account and changed his email to some generic one).

Arantor

Disposable email address and someone creating one just to cause drama?

Illori

did the password get changed on the account? sometimes that can trigger those emails.

SkzlN

Please be more clearly on your future topics, thank you!
Maybe he find the password of this email?
Give me your forum link if possible i want to take a look of this member!
So maybe it's strongly recomended to this user to change the pw of is forum and email don't you think?

FrizzleFried

Nope... the banned user's account hasn't been touched in 2 years.  The new user is a new user.   The banned user posted the "New user" email that management is supposed to be sent claiming he'd received it in his email box.   The email he posted IS worded EXACTLY like the emails I receive when A new user registers... and included the new users name... which the banned user wouldn't even know about because my forum is private and he'd not have access to know who registers and who doesn't.

Very very concerning... to be honest.

FrizzleFried

Quote from: SkzlN on December 22, 2016, 01:35:41 PM
Please be more clearly on your future topics, thank you!
Maybe he find the password of this email?
Give me your forum link if possible i want to take a look of this member!
So maybe it's strongly recomended to this user to change the pw of is forum and email don't you think?

The banned user didn't get the new users password.  He only got the standard "New User Registered" email that is sent out to admins.   If he attempted to click the links in the email,  he'd run up against the LOGIN/PASSWORD... he couldn't do anything.   It's just very very strange that he got the email to begin with.  He was NEVER management ... only ever a standard member.

FrizzleFried

BTW... he received another one this morning he said... before I removed his email address.  Something is seriously broke.

Colin

SMF is open source so the default text of new user registrations can be found from looking at the code or just installing a new instance of SMF and looking at the email that is sent. He could have gleaned the newest member from the forum and just made it seem like an email was sent from your forum. Have you checked the sent email logs from the SMTP server to confirm this?
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

FrizzleFried

Quote from: Colin on December 22, 2016, 02:58:33 PM
SMF is open source so the default text of new user registrations can be found from looking at the code or just installing a new instance of SMF and looking at the email that is sent. He could have gleaned the newest member from the forum and just made it seem like an email was sent from your forum. Have you checked the sent email logs from the SMTP server to confirm this?

This guy (the banned user) isn't like that.  We're actually "cordial" to each other.  I doubt out of the blue,  2 years down the road,  he'd just start making things up.   But I will check.  For now,  I've disabled the email from being sent in total.  I visit my forum daily so it's not really necessary anyway I guess.

Colin

Happy to do some digging, but I'm pretty confident we would have heard something like this if it was a bug. Let me know what you find in the logs. Thanks :)
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody is not thinking." - Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Colin

ziycon

Check your mail logs to see what is actually being sent out first to confirm the mails are actually being sent, regardless of how well you get on, best to rule out that the mails are actually being sent first.

FrizzleFried

Welp,  the emails did go out (3 total... 12/16,  12/21 and 12/22)... which coorispond with the last 3 new user registrations.  Nothing before then that I can find. 

Is there some sort of configuration I could have messed up to cause this?

I'm not seeing other emails being sent to "odd" addresses...

For now I just disabled the emails...

Colin

Ok so to clarify, you confirmed that a new user notification email was sent to a banned user's email. Now the next thing to check is the permissions on his account.

Colin

FrizzleFried

Quote from: Colin on December 22, 2016, 04:46:22 PM
Ok so to clarify, you confirmed that a new user notification email was sent to a banned user's email. Now the next thing to check is the permissions on his account.

Correct.  I confirmed that a new user notification email was sent to a banned user.   Checking his permissions... they are all set for "X" DISALLOW.

FrizzleFried

Can someone point out any/all settings related to these emails being sent?  I want to make sure the membergroup this user is in (of which he is the only member,  mind you) is properly configured.  It's currently set for ALL "X"... are there any other settings related to these emails being sent other than the one that turns them off/on?

Advertisement: