News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

New Default Theme

Started by MatthewH, April 15, 2014, 07:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MatthewH

No offense, but I think the default theme you've had for 5 years is outdated and I don't like it. Will SMF make a new theme thats more modern and sleek looking?

LiroyvH

Have you by any chance looked at 2.1 development and the development blog? ;)
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

MatthewH

I'm probably not looking enought but where is the 2.1 discussion?

MatthewH

Okay saw the theme here hxxp:www.honorshard.com/uof-21/ [nonactive] I don't like it. Its basicly the same theme with a few changes.

ApplianceJunk

You don't have to use the default theme.

MatthewH

There are barely any other themes I like.

ApplianceJunk

Pay someone to create a custom theme for you or if your talented enough create one yourself.

MatthewH

I am talented enough, I just hate SMF's template system.

ApplianceJunk

ok, then use another forum software.

Irisado

If you want to help out with 2.1 development, then by all means use your knowledge and get involved on Github to help the developers.  Sitting here just criticising everything about the forum software and expecting everyone else to fix it won't, however, help to make it any better.

If you don't fancy helping out with 2.1, then you could also use your knowledge to create some new themes.

There are plenty of things which you could do to help take the project forwards :).
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Antes

There will be no new theme for SMF 2.1, we are changing its template system (more div based styling).

Steve

From what I can see, the default theme for 2.1 is sleeker and more professional looking. I like it even though light themes aren't my style. :D
DO NOT pm me for support!

emanuele

Quote from: Antes on April 16, 2014, 08:08:45 AM
There will be no new theme for SMF 2.1, we are changing its template system (more div based styling).
ehm... change the divs is just the same as create a new theme. :P

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Bloc

But creating a new theme is so much more. The current CSS used in 2.1 ia very tailored to suit its current look. To make a new theme both HTML and CSS have to be "re-thinked" in order to create something that isn't a variation of the Curve theme - like the current one is. I am a bit puzzled that the amount and compleixty of the CSS isn't being simplified in 2.1, seeing as it was already complex in 2.0. As SMF internal functions are modified and streamlined - so should the templates and styles, right?

IMHO one the biggest obtacles in creating cool looking themes for SMF is this complexity. Its not as anyone could easily just opt to something simpler..the base theme demands that extra themes have the same complxity , at least as long as they rely on default templates for the bulk of its look.

Or maybe its just so simple that SMF just have one "look/style" anyways, because its users aren't interested in new and cool looking themes/templates/styles? For my part I think The will to go beyond the tried and tested starts with those that create the internals of SMF - they have to be the inspiration that make others stretch a little more. And then we all get the great looking themes we seek....

Kindred

Or maybe it is because a forum is an inherently complicated piece of software with dozens of possible templates that have to display all sorts of data?

It's not like you can just make one template file and have it handle everything.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bloc

Quote from: Kindred on April 18, 2014, 08:10:35 PM
Or maybe it is because a forum is an inherently complicated piece of software with dozens of possible templates that have to display all sorts of data?

Which proves my point, its made that way. But it doesn't have to be, it just takes the willingness to try to simplify it, to look for common sections and work from the assumption that the different sections isn't that different after all. You alredy have it in the form the generic_ templates and - but not optimal code-wise - messageindex/display/personalmessage which share the layout(though why a personal message would need the look of a "topic" is a bit confusing :D ) . All the admin templates does not have to have 2-3 different table layouts, the menu does not have to be 2 types with different HTML(it should use different CSS only), the profile and member templates could share layouts.. and so on.

If it were simplified the CSS would not need a great portion of the stylesheet just to align the diffent bits and pieces(!), but instead focus on the content styles(which also takes its room, but its much more useful for the potential themer) and the "framing" styles of the theme. You know, that which most change right now...

Again: as long as there isn't any willingness to make this easier, how can you expect better looking themes?

QuoteIt's not like you can just make one template file and have it handle everything.
No, of course not.

Antes

emanuele

Quote from: Colby67 on April 18, 2014, 03:54:36 PM
As SMF internal functions are modified and streamlined
ehm... when did you that happen? :P

Take a peek at what I'm doing! ;D

Hai bisogno di supporto in Italiano?

Aiutateci ad aiutarvi: spiegate bene il vostro problema: no, "non funziona" non è una spiegazione!!
1) Cosa fai,
2) cosa ti aspetti,
3) cosa ottieni.

Bloc

Quote from: emanuele on April 19, 2014, 04:55:15 PM
Quote from: Colby67 on April 18, 2014, 03:54:36 PM
As SMF internal functions are modified and streamlined
ehm... when did you that happen? :P
Err, I might have mixed Elkartes goals with SMF 2.1.. :P Scratch that then, but the argument about simplifying templates still stands.

Quote from: Antes on April 19, 2014, 03:22:57 AM
Actually if i didn't get you wrong :P

- https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/pull/1471
- https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/pull/1477
and yes i agree CSS too big.
Good that things happen. But its babysteps when it could be long strides...

Kindred

So?   GitHub is open..  If you have suggestions and coding for those strides, then, by all means, contribute!
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

samborabora

Does the new theme use css3 heavily? Hope so, cause all of the rounded borders and header gradients could so easily work without images, and the default theme look is a great starting point, just needs to use more styling and less hard coding :D

Kindred

The theme has been completely redone
Слaва
Украинi

samborabora

Quote from: Kindred on June 19, 2014, 10:50:04 AM
The theme has been completely redone

Is there a current example of it online anywhere I can view?

Kindred

the alpha has been available on GitHub for months.
Слaва
Украинi

Antechinus

Quote from: samborabora on June 19, 2014, 10:48:02 AM
Does the new theme use css3 heavily? Hope so, cause all of the rounded borders and header gradients could so easily work without images, and the default theme look is a great starting point, just needs to use more styling and less hard coding :D

Yup, it used CSS3 right from the start. However, it also used small images to provide some falback for IE8 (which we were committed to supporting at the time 2.1 was conceived). So, the roundy stuff was CSS3 (coz IE8 can live with square corners) which meant the markup and CSS was considerably simplified, but the gradients were PNG because it was felt that a default theme should look decent on the older browser.

Advertisement: