News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

email Inactive Users

Started by Suki, April 19, 2014, 02:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suki

RSI do you have any users marked as ready for deletion?  does your forum sends out mails?

No, the mod does not work only for users registered after the mods was installed but it does have a lot of checks and any misconfiguration can make it not to send any mails.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

partners

Suki,

OK it does have this value:
disabled   tinyint(3)  and the value is set to 0.

Do we need to change this to 1?

Thanks

Suki

yes, that specific value needs to be set to 1 otherwise the scheduled task will never run.

scratch that... yes it needs to be set to 0  so leave it as it is.
Disclaimer: unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal and does not represent any views or opinions held by Simple Machines.

RSI

Quote from: Suki on April 27, 2015, 04:20:03 PM
RSI do you have any users marked as ready for deletion?  does your forum sends out mails?

Yes, it sends out emails.

Quote from: Suki on April 27, 2015, 04:20:03 PM
No, the mod does not work only for users registered after the mods was installed but it does have a lot of checks and any misconfiguration can make it not to send any mails.

I never have had any luck with it working. What would be connected to the "lot of checks" as far as a misconfiguration is concerned? Are there any other typical board settings that could cause it not to work?

Suki

it might be a bug in the mod, I haven't checked and I can't check right now either.  Will review the mod onces again when I have some time.

partners

OK, we left it at 0.

Thank you.

RSI

Quote from: Suki on April 27, 2015, 04:34:31 PM
it might be a bug in the mod, I haven't checked and I can't check right now either.  Will review the mod onces again when I have some time.

That's why I spoke up. I've even made sure the Scheduled Task settings were correct and even tried manually running it a few times and nothing...

I guess there could always be some other setting that conflicts with it. I do have the permission set where users cannot delete their own accounts or their posts, but wouldn't the mod be using the board's admin account anyway?. I've seen where the no permission to delete posts setting conflicts with another board setting and won't let it automatically prune topics when it's enabled.

None of that would explain why it wont send out any emails when I try to make it work though, right?

P.S. I do have the Mail Queue enabled and always have.

Suki

OK, I just set up a test forum on my server and installed this mod, checked with 2 accounts and both received the mail

RSI can you do the steps listed here http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=521464.msg3808007#msg3808007

This are all the checks an user must pass in order to receive an email:

WHERE inactive_mail = 0  // an email hasn't been sent for this user
AND posts <= {int:postLimit}  // the suer has less post than the mod's setting
AND last_login < {int:inactiveFor}  // the user hasn't been logged in since the time in the mod's setting
AND date_registered < {int:inactiveFor} // the user registered date is lower than the mod's setting
AND is_activated = 1 // the user's account needs to be activated
AND to_delete = 0  // hasn't been marked for deletion yet
AND email_address is NOT NULL  // has an email address
AND (id_group IN ({array_int:groups}) // has X primary group
OR id_post_group IN ({array_int:groups}) // or has X group as secondary

The only check I can see causing issues is the date_registered, I remember I applied that check for a reason but I can't remember why :P

The other thing is the "is_activated"  which can reduce the number of people to ever receiving an email, if your forum has a bunch of inactive accounts then those accounts will never receive an email since it hasn't been activated yet.

Other than that I can only suggest that you configure the mod settings properly, that is, check and double check the list of groups that are eligible to sent mails to them, check the post count too, if it is too low then a lot of users will be skipped.

@partners  In your case you do have valid users but for some reasons the sendmail function fails to send all those emails, perhaps it could be a server issue?  do you have the mail queue enable?  any error in your server logs?

RSI

Quote from: Suki on April 27, 2015, 07:35:24 PM
RSI can you do the steps listed here http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=521464.msg3808007#msg3808007

This are all the checks an user must pass in order to receive an email:

WHERE inactive_mail = 0  // an email hasn't been sent for this user
AND posts <= {int:postLimit}  // the suer has less post than the mod's setting
AND last_login < {int:inactiveFor}  // the user hasn't been logged in since the time in the mod's setting
AND date_registered < {int:inactiveFor} // the user registered date is lower than the mod's setting
AND is_activated = 1 // the user's account needs to be activated
AND to_delete = 0  // hasn't been marked for deletion yet
AND email_address is NOT NULL  // has an email address
AND (id_group IN ({array_int:groups}) // has X primary group
OR id_post_group IN ({array_int:groups}) // or has X group as secondary

The only check I can see causing issues is the date_registered, I remember I applied that check for a reason but I can't remember why :P

The other thing is the "is_activated"  which can reduce the number of people to ever receiving an email, if your forum has a bunch of inactive accounts then those accounts will never receive an email since it hasn't been activated yet.

Other than that I can only suggest that you configure the mod settings properly, that is, check and double check the list of groups that are eligible to sent mails to them, check the post count too, if it is too low then a lot of users will be skipped.

Thanks, I'll check it when I have the time again, I had already uninstalled the mod before posting yesterday. I need to focus on a couple of other more important things right now.

Suki

Ah! always good to know staying awake all night trying to offer support is labeled as not that important.  Surely keeps you motivated...

partners

Hi Suki,

Thank you, we will check and get back.

Thank you again.

partners

Suki,

Our forum is sending email and we do not have any errors in our log.
We will try uninstall and re-install and see what happens.

Thank you for your help.

Suki

Then I'm afraid I'm stumbled here :(

eldritch1969

Well, just want to say that the mod works for my forum and I have a User List for 134 users marked for deletion.

I currently use SMF 2.0.9

partners

No worries Suki.
Thank you for trying to help us.

partners

Suki,
Do you think Pretty URL's could be causing this?

Thank you.

sah62

I'm running version 1.1.1 of this mod as downloaded from GitHub. It seems to be working fine, but I'm getting a pair of errors logged every time I visit the "General Settings" page. This is what's in the log:

2: in_array() expects parameter 2 to be array, boolean given
File: /home/public_html/forum/Themes/default/emailInactiveUsers.template.php (show_settings sub template - eval?)
Line: 903

2: unserialize() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given
File: /home/public_html/forum/Sources/ManageServer.php
Line: 1877

Do these errors look familiar to anyone?

Suki

You are prob using an outdated version of SMF, it you search this topic it has been mentioned a few times already, its not really a major bug and it goes away as soon as you select a membergroup or update to SMF 2.0.10

sah62

Quote from: Suki on June 16, 2015, 07:19:57 PM
You are prob using an outdated version of SMF, it you search this topic it has been mentioned a few times already, its not really a major bug and it goes away as soon as you select a membergroup or update to SMF 2.0.10

I'm using SMF 2.0.10. All file versions are up-to-date.

I saw your response in this reply:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=521464.msg3706248#msg3706248

I've tried setting "Disable the deletion of users feature". The log messages continue no matter what this option is set to. I've also tried selecting a membergroup and that doesn't seem to change anything, either.

ocbland4

Advertisement: