News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Enhanced PM System

Started by dougiefresh, April 20, 2014, 04:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougiefresh

@FragaCampos: I have one more string for you to translate, if you will:  "To user" (As in "you sent this pm to which users?").  This string will be used in the Search template....   Thanks in advance. Used google translate.....

UPDATE: Searching SENT ITEMS and OUTBOX PMs by usernames has been completed....  Actually easier than I thought....

dougiefresh

Uploaded v2.0 - July 9th, 2014
o If user is on recipient's PM ignore list, it is shown upon entering the reply page.
o Fix for duplicate buttons showing up for PMs in Core theme.
o Added ability to mass-delete of PMs in the Outbox.
o Added support for searching Sent Items and Outbox folders for PMs
o Search results now indicates whether the PMs found have been read or not.
o Copied PM display code for use by complete search result template...
o Added ability to mass-delete from all folders during searches.
o Added ability to mass-move messages from the Inbox and Folders during searches.
o Added ability to search Sent Items and Outbox PMs by username.
o Minor reorganization of template code to avoid duplication of necessary functions.

I've been working on version 2.0 for the last month, being interrupted by bug reports and fixes since v1.3....  I'm gonna take some time off from this, with exception of bug fixes that escaped my testing, before embarking on the next set of changes....  And, no, I haven't decided on what is getting "fixed" (or maybe I should say "enhanced") next.... Hope y'all enjoy!

BTW, I think it's just bad when you are rewriting code and find this line:
// !!! This still needs to be made pretty.
in PersonalMessages.template.php in the Core theme.....  Not trying to call anybody out, but, yeah, I thought that whole area was fugly, too....

FragaCampos

Hi, dougiefresh.
Wow! So many good news!  8)

Sorry for the late reply. Too much work and few hours of sleep. I didn't test this new version yet, but I will as soon as I have a day off...

Thank you very much and see you soon! ;)

PS: I didn't see it in action yet, but I believe the best translation of "To user" would be (under the right context) "Enviada a".

ExSpirit

This is really great mod, but I have 1 question - how can I change order of displayed messages in conversation? I would like to have newest on bottom, not on top.

dougiefresh

Sorry about the lateness of the reply.  While in "My Messages" (from the top of the screen), go to "Change Settings".  You're looking for the "Show most recent personal messages at top." option.  Unchecking that option should get what you need....

ExSpirit

This only changes the list of subjects (in inbox), but not conversation order (so when I read messages).

ExSpirit

I found two more bugs (tested on clean install):
- when I receive a message and open it, then go back to inbox, that message is still marked as "unread"
- when I receive new message I receive popup warning about new message, but when I receive second or all next messages from that conversation I don't receive any more popups or notices about new message.

dougiefresh

Quote from: ExSpirit on August 12, 2014, 06:28:41 PM
- when I receive a message and open it, then go back to inbox, that message is still marked as "unread"
- when I receive new message I receive popup warning about new message, but when I receive second or all next messages from that conversation I don't receive any more popups or notices about new message.
Interesting.... Lemme investigate these issues.  But it'll be tomorrow, as it's almost my bedtime :p

Quote from: ExSpirit on July 30, 2014, 07:19:17 AM
This is really great mod, but I have 1 question - how can I change order of displayed messages in conversation? I would like to have newest on bottom, not on top.
I'll have to write some more code to take care of this particular request.

ExSpirit

Quote from: dougiefresh on August 12, 2014, 07:43:43 PM
Interesting.... Lemme investigate these issues.  But it'll be tomorrow, as it's almost my bedtime :p
OK, I hope you'll manage to find the solutions for those problems.

Quote from: dougiefresh on August 12, 2014, 07:43:43 PM
I'll have to write some more code to take care of this particular request.
There's already some setting in SMF to display messages on top or bottom and the same for personal messages, so I was hoping that along with that setting order of conversation titles would be sorted as well.  Maybe editing one line of code would be enough - where SQL call is made (ORDER BY * ASC/DESC)?

-Captain Ghost-

hello
If you are accepting requests then i want to request one thing that can you add feature like pm readed.
Let me explain you
Ex:-Suppose x has sent a pm to y and if y has red the message then the x will get notified that the pm has been opened or readed by y.

Hope you had understood my request.

Thanks

shadowandlight

Hello!

Is this mod compatible with sending PM's to a group?

Personal Message to Groups
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2178

If not, can this feature be added to this mod?

dougiefresh

Quote from: shadowandlight on August 16, 2014, 07:34:13 PM
Is this mod compatible with sending PM's to a group?

Personal Message to Groups
http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2178
I don't see why it wouldn't be compatible.  It installs fine without errors, installing it both before and after the Enhanced PM mod.  I personally haven't tested it yet, though....  However, when uninstalling these mods, they must be uninstalled in the same order as they were installed because of conflicts between the two mods.

Quote from: shadowandlight on August 16, 2014, 07:34:13 PM
If not, can this feature be added to this mod?
As for adding other mod's functionality to this one, I decline to do so, as it would duplicate work done by others....  Not to mention code licensing issues....

Quote from: -Captain Ghost- on August 13, 2014, 11:32:23 AM
If you are accepting requests then i want to request one thing that can you add feature like pm readed.
Let me explain you
Ex:-Suppose x has sent a pm to y and if y has red the message then the x will get notified that the pm has been opened or readed by y.
Lemme look into this request.

dougiefresh

I reproduced both of these issues.  Will investigate....

SilverWings

Quote from: dougiefresh on August 17, 2014, 07:52:54 AM
I reproduced both of these issues.  Will investigate....
I have the same problems and I installed latest version. How can I fix this?

dougiefresh

Quote from: SilverWings on August 18, 2014, 03:50:34 PM
I have the same problems and I installed latest version. How can I fix this?
Well, when I figure that out, I'll post a new version....

SilverWings

Okey. Can you please also write here which lines to change, because I would just like to fix this without reinstalling the mod. When do you expect to fix this (already have, in a few days, a few weeks, months,...)?

dougiefresh

Quote from: SilverWings on August 20, 2014, 09:19:23 AM
Okey. Can you please also write here which lines to change, because I would just like to fix this without reinstalling the mod.
Okay dokey.... Can do.

When do you expect to fix this (already have, in a few days, a few weeks, months,...)?
Well, considering I worked two 12-hour shifts the last two days and worked 8 hours today, all three of which were in the 90+ degree F heat, I just haven't gotten around to messing around with the code lately, as my personal life takes FAR MORE precedence over these mods....  Maybe I'll get to it today.  I don't know.  I know one thing, though: Pressuring me to fix things on YOUR schedule does not work for me.  >:(  (Unless you wanna pay me, then that becomes a different story....)  And no, I'm not being ******y....

Now, if you want to actually research the issue, then you can feel free to share your findings.  I would incorporate them into the mod and credit you properly.....

SilverWings

Oh, okey, I understand. I wasn't trying pressuring you, it's better that you take a look at this problem when you have time and properly fix it as do something fast and not as it should be. So just take your time. I was just interested in approx timeline, because my users are also asking me when will the PM system work again, because those are really annoying bugs.

If I would be good at coding I would try to fix it myself and share the fix, but I'm not. And I don't know how big of a problems are those to fix - if that a few minutes of work, a few hours or even more complex and takes much more time?

dougiefresh

Quote from: SilverWings on August 20, 2014, 02:58:08 PM
Oh, okey, I understand. I wasn't trying pressuring you, it's better that you take a look at this problem when you have time and properly fix it as do something fast and not as it should be. So just take your time. I was just interested in approx timeline, because my users are also asking me when will the PM system work again, because those are really annoying bugs.

If I would be good at coding I would try to fix it myself and share the fix, but I'm not. And I don't know how big of a problems are those to fix - if that a few minutes of work, a few hours or even more complex and takes much more time?
@SilverWings: I reread my response and decided I REALLY needed a nap.  So I took one....  Now I really want to apologize.  Yeah, I want to fix them right.  And I don't know how big of a bug these are.  That being said, I have to figure where the bug is coming from....  And if coding was easy, everybody would do it....

Okay, I found where the first bug is taking place.  Look in PersonalMessage.php and replace this:
Code (Find) Select
// Otherwise do just the current one!
elseif (!empty($context['current_pm']) && ($context['display_mode'] == 1 || (isset($_GET['pmid']) && $context['folder'] != 'unread')))
markMessages($display_pms, $context['current_label_id']);

with this:
Code (Replace) Select
// Otherwise do just the current one!
elseif (!empty($context['current_pm']))
markMessages($display_pms, $context['current_label_id']);

What this does is RESTORES the original coding for marking messages as read.  This fixes the first bug that ExSpirit reported from the quote.

dougiefresh

I found the second part of the bug report.  Replace this:
Code (Find) Select
// Add one to their unread and read message counts.
if (empty($pmsg))

with this:
Code (Replace) Select
// Add one to their unread and read message counts.
if (empty($pmsg) || !isset($_REQUEST['edit']))

What this does is CORRECTLY updates the member information to reflect that there is a new PM whenever a new PM is sent.

Okey. Can you please also write here which lines to change, because I would just like to fix this without reinstalling the mod.
You will be able to upgrade from version 2.0 to version 2.1 using the v2.1 installer when it comes out.

Advertisement: