News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

wrong source.php can this be fixed.

Started by SaltedWeb, April 22, 2014, 10:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SaltedWeb

Ive been working on my site about a month and never saw a problem, on one mod I saw that the
2.0.7 install has a 2.04 source file. It was installed via my cpanel program in my servers host package.
Can't remember where but someone told me on here the 2.0.7 zip had a bug in it like that ??

Is there a way to fix this, or am I pretty much stuck with it ?

Thanks
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

kat

Some of mine are still v2.0.

Thing is, when there's an update, not all files get changed, for obvious reasons.

SaltedWeb

Quote from: margarett on April 23, 2014, 03:14:42 AM
Are you having any issues?

I tried installing Avea and it gave errors on the Source.php so I did not install it .
So far that was the only issue I have had.

DC
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

kat

That could've been because a previous mod installation had already altered the file, perhaps?

Can you remember what the EXACT error was?

SaltedWeb

No sorry :(, I just removed it.
But do recall the source was the only directory that had files it needed to use.
And it said would have failed or not be installed correctly.

kat

AEVA modifies a few files, in the Sources directory.

So, yeah, there's a good chance that another mod's already modified one/some of those files.

If you make a note of the exact error, you can make the required edits, manually. If you look at the mod's parser, just below the download link, on it's page, you'll see all the edits.

Read my sig, of course, before attempting ANY of that... ;)

(Click my sig, for the "How?", if you don't know how).

SaltedWeb

Ok I will do that , trying another option mod that had no errors Simple Audio Video.
Am asking in another post how one uses that .

Thank You for your help.

kat

SaltedWeb

Ok I noticed that what ever had occurred will not allow me to install or uninstall anything at this point.
Site works other then a weird error in the newsletter that says header errors but seems to work.
Is there a way to fix it ?

Thanks

SaltedWeb

margarett

Your topic is marked solved... It's highly unlikely it will be noticed...

I'm sorry but you need to be more specific... What errors *exactly* do you have?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

kat

Marked "Unsolved".

When you say that "It won't let you", what do mean, exactly?

SaltedWeb

Quote from: K@ on May 07, 2014, 04:36:07 AM
Marked "Unsolved".
When you say that "It won't let you", what do mean, exactly?

If I try and unistall a mod it says not to or may cause and issues.
same if I try and install a mod.
Seems that 2.04 source is causing issues ?

My forum is the stock curve theme so not sure why or where this started.

DC

margarett

We need a clear example... Try to install a small mod (let's say my "Confirmation to mark as read")
That doesn't touch any Sources so try it.
If that works, try another mod. We need to know which. Then send us the files it says can't be edited

kat

Quote from: Diamondcomputer on May 08, 2014, 09:12:12 PMSeems that 2.04 source is causing issues ?

Very unlikely, to be honest.

Tell ya what... A screeny, of a page where these "Don't do it!" messages appear, would be useful. :)

SaltedWeb

Juts downloaded a new zipped file installed on a whole other domain elsewhere and file shows 2.0.4 source file version.
I literately just installed it on my server, created my own db by scratch and manually installed and still shows it.
There is something wrong with these install files. Why is this not fixed ????
GRRRRRR!  I thought it was me, seems this is in the install file too.

Arantor

The only thing wrong with it is the version number in the file. Nothing else is wrong with it.

kat

When the software gets updated, think how long it would take, to go through every single file and change the version number...

When there's an update, only the files that are updated get that changed. The version numbers in all the other files will remain as they were. :)

Arantor

Except when it gets forgotten about.

Actually it doesn't take as long as you'd think, the idea behind the version numbering of individual files is to check an individual file is up to date because otherwise each patch would have to edit every file which would be insane.

kat

I s'pose a text editor with good macro tools could do all of the files. Is it worth the hassle, though?

Arantor

Not really anything to do with macro support, per se, it's still the fact you'd have to create a package that flat out modified every single file, unnecessarily. For anyone who does a manual install for whatever reason, that would mean something in the region of 100 files to edit.

kat

...and screw mods and, possibly, themes.

Yeah. Dumb idea. :)

Arantor

Shouldn't affect either mods or themes, but it will make upgrades such a pain.

kat

Advertisement: