News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

@mention members

Started by Dragooon, May 02, 2014, 01:07:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiser79

Hi all.

New admin of a forum here, installed the mod yesterday.

I would like to know which code lines should I change in order to "translate" the new menu options to Greek.

For example, Mentions under Profile should look like Με ανέφεραν

Also, I wand to change all other verbal statements that appear on my forum to Greek for this mod

Thanks in advance

Kindred

I believe, like most mods, the file would be modification.YOURLANGAUGE.php
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Cruiser79

Thanks for your reply.

As a temporary solution, I changed mentions.english.php and mentions.english-utf8.php verbal statements to Greek. My forum has very few non-Greek members so it won't be a problem.

Another question: I use SMFPacks WYSIWYG Editor, not the SMF default. In such case, there is no dropdown menu to autocomplete username after a few letters. However, after syntax @username and posting on a topic, the "tag" works perfectly. Any ideas on how to have a dropdown on SMFPacks WYSIWYG Editor?

Shambles

Quote from: Cruiser79
Any ideas on how to have a dropdown on SMFPacks WYSIWYG Editor?

Why not ask them on smfpacks.com - did you pay for it? It's not really relevant in the @mentions support thread ;)

Cruiser79

Quote from: Shambles on August 18, 2017, 05:22:27 AM
Quote from: Cruiser79
Any ideas on how to have a dropdown on SMFPacks WYSIWYG Editor?

Why not ask them on hxxp:smfpacks.com [nonactive] - did you pay for it? It's not really relevant in the @mentions support thread ;)

I am sorry I wasn't clear enough, I meant having a dropdown using @mention members

WhiteRozePetals

Hello,

Somehow my mentions modification got corrupted or a missing file. It was causing issue on my website so it wasn't working. I was getting this error:
Warning: require_once(/home/rozeh/forum.decadencescans.com/Sources/Mentions.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in /home/rozeh/forum.decadencescans.com/Sources/Load.php on line 325

Fatal error: require_once(): Failed opening required '/home/rozeh/forum.decadencescans.com/Sources/Mentions.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php:/usr/local/php5/lib/pear') in /home/rozeh/forum.decadencescans.com/Sources/Load.php on line 325

I deleted the mentions.php and then it ended up working so I was able to get into my admin panel. I then went to uninstall the mod and it would give me a 500 error. So then I read up on some articles on how to manually uninstall the mod (basically follow the code backwards.) I did this but the mod is still showing up in my installed packages (but not in the browse packages sections) so I can't try to reinstall a clean version because when I download the package and hit install it says it's already installed.

Any help is greatly appreciated. :)

aegersz

this doesn't seem to work for member names of only a single character.

is there a way around this ?

yeah i know it's odd that one of my guys has a single capital letter but it still ought to work.
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Gluz

In /Themes/default/scripts/mentions.js change:
if (query.length < 2)
to:
if (query.length < 1)

With that the member suggestion drop down will show when typing only one letter after the @, the Mention itself works without modify that file, because it search through any possible member name.

aegersz

thank you SO much - i was thinking that a minimum of one character would return a cumbersome list of member names but the guys name fortunately is "Z".

i should've looked at the code myself - sorry to bother but you were prompt regardless !

appreciated ... i have been looking up the member's id and then adding into the BBCode. I got tired of that and am happy now.

It's a great mod and i'm surprised that Simple Machines haven't adopted it !
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

aegersz

my first Javascript change  ... note when implementing Javscript code modifications - clear the browser cache afterwards to reload the script because (this may help somebody else as novices like me (there must be others out there)) I have just learned that website scripts run in one of two places [source: http://www.codeconquest.com/website/client-side-vs-server-side/]:

QuoteJavaScript is an example of the client side (also called the front-end) and PHP is an example of the server side (also called the back-end).

The client of a website refers to the web browser that is viewing it. The server of a website is, of course, the server that hosts it

Arantor

Quote from: aegersz on November 12, 2017, 01:32:32 AM
It's a great mod and i'm surprised that Simple Machines haven't adopted it !

You should maybe check out 2.1 before making bold claims like that ;)

aegersz

funny you should "mention" that because i was thinking EXACTLY the same thing shortly after posting and asking myself why am i not running my favorite "forumware" (an original term of mine) latest release because it would have to be Simple Machines' flagship offering and why wouldn't they include such a facility ?

i also was wondering if there are plans for an upgrade path to 2.1 from 2.0(.nn) ?

i am defintely going to install the latest beta cut because it's only a test system and i want to use my existing database clone.

i guess my plethora of mods will be a HUGE issue and probably prevent me from actually ever migrating to it but at least it will keep me occupied, enlightened and the bold claims will stop ... :-X

aegersz

Yes of course there is an upgrade path. sorry to go off-topic.
[/derail]

yes, this is a very useful mod that has been rapidly adopted by my members and used frequently.

icarus911

8: Undefined index: mentions
File: /var/www/html/Sources/Admin.php
Line: 199

Anyone else have this error?

franhaselden

Just installed but seem to be having a few issues:

1) The admin checkbox "Enable mentions e-mail for current members" doesn't persist on save
2) The mentions don't seem to work. Typing @ will autopredict member names, and when posted they do link to the member, but the mentions panel for my own account shows no mentions and I receive no email.

franhaselden

Follow-up.

Some members don't see the auto-complete popup at all.
Some members type names in with the @ symbol but when posted the name doesn't link or go bold (my <a> css) like expected.
Some members are receiving mentions, others are not. I've been mentioned 5 times now yet I've only ever got one mention on my panel.
I can't seem to pin down any consistent issue, just that the mention feature most regularly doesn't work.

aegersz

mentions will only display a subset of the full list if the partial member name mentioned is too short.

check your error log because IME, mentions works well but your config and possible unforseen errors may cause such unreiability.

yes, look for errors please ... i assume that you don't get a notifications email and/or the Profile[n] indicator is not displayed.

franhaselden

I can't see any error that pertains to the mentions mod.

It isn't a case of too short names. For example, my username is Francesca and even typing the full name out some members do not see any pop-up. Also, even if they just post @Francesca without the pop-up, should the mentions mod not still ping the mention once the post is published? It seems to for some people, but not for others.

It works intermittently. I did once see the [] notification in the profile banner, and also have one mention listed on my Mentions page. But that is it, just the once. Other members have more success and others are never able to post mentions nor see them themselves.

aegersz

no - the popup MUST run as it generates the BBCode with the member's id contained within and NOT the member's name !

otherwise you have to do it manually and that involves the tedious lookup of the member's id from the database or member list AND needs to be inserted into the BBCode.

as an admin, go and hit Modify on the posts that are you think might be causing this unreliability - you can inspect the post for the correct BBCode generation.

when you select the member name from the javascript popup, it should add a blank character also.

if all is well so far then i can't help you further and you need to wait for the mod writer or someone with more knowledge on this than myself.

i hope this helps.

franhaselden

Quoteno - the popup MUST run as it generates the BBCode with the member's id contained within and NOT the member's name !

That's weird. I just tested this out. I wrote a member name like @member. The pop-up showed up, but I did not click it. When I posted, the username had been capitalised to @Member (as the user's name does indeed look) and links to their profile. So is it not based on the click of the pop-up, just that the pop-up at least shows?

I can see that several members have tried to mention me but indeed they are not links when I inspect. However these are the members that are reporting when they search @Francesca that no pop-up shows up so obviously it's that part of the mod that is not kicking off for some members. I wonder if it's something to do with their system specs. Do you know of any part of the mod that might require modern browsers, perhaps some are running older browsers. Though most are on Chrome or Firefox which should be evergreen. I will investigate further.

Also, is it correct you cannot mention yourself? I have a few times tried writing @Francesca myself. I can select my name form the pop-up and confirm that the name when posted then converts to my member ID instead. However, I don't see this mention. Is this deliberate.

Advertisement: