Recent Forum Topics on Boardindex For 2.0.x

Started by Pipke, May 05, 2014, 09:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GigaWatt

Yeah, no problem on my forum... though I don't own a smartphone, so I can't confirm.

I recall viewing my forum from my wife's smartphone a few days ago, it seemed fine.

Also, a request directed at Pipke. Could you add a setting to limit the number of pages or recent topics shown (either will do) in the next version? Thanks :).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Pipke

mobile screenshot in attachment, btw russian is abracadabra to me lol

"If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry: Worry never fixes anything."

Click here to view my mods for SMF

Hey 👋 Did i helped... you like what i do. You can now buy me a coffee! ☕

FishingManMatt

Quote from: GigaWatt on October 24, 2018, 06:31:47 PM
Did this start happening over night or was it always like this?
It's hard to say. I have two web browsers on my phone (Chrome and Opera Beta) and for as long as I can remember the site looks fine.
Two days ago one of my moderators posted a screenshot from his phone. Then I used the built-in Chrome DevTools and saw the same bahaviour. The site still looks good on my phone.

I've just used the Chrome DevTools to check GigaWatt's forum and there is no such problem.

Quote from: Pipke on October 25, 2018, 04:25:56 AM
Quote from: FishingManMatt on October 24, 2018, 03:17:06 PM
Is there anything I can do to fit the table to the main content section?

Can you provide a link to your forum, so we can see this behavior in action. At GigaWatt's site this looks all fine.
Sure. Here it is -> http://splawikigrunt.pl/forum/

Pipke

@FishingManMatt your site looks ok with chrome, can you ask the particular moderator wich browser and phone he made the screenshot.
"If something is wrong, fix it if you can. But train yourself not to worry: Worry never fixes anything."

Pipke

Quote from: GigaWatt on October 25, 2018, 09:03:56 AM
Also, a request directed at Pipke. Could you add a setting to limit the number of pages or recent topics shown (either will do) in the next version? Thanks :).

in RecentForumsTopics.php change this as desired

if (isset($_REQUEST['start']) && $_REQUEST['start'] > 95)
$_REQUEST['start'] = 95;

and find all '100' in file, to the desired number of topics, that should do the task.

FishingManMatt

Quote from: Pipke on October 25, 2018, 03:12:15 PM
@FishingManMatt your site looks ok with chrome, can you ask the particular moderator wich browser and phone he made the screenshot.
Yeah, it looks OK with Chrome. But why doesn't it look OK in DevTools?
Take a look at this recording -> http://splawikigrunt.pl/pliki/misc/RFT.avi

I wrote to the moderator and will post the info as soon as he writes back.

FishingManMatt

I got the answer. He used a native web browser in Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini.

And here is his screenshot:

Pipke

on my dev tools chrome all is fine, btw Viewport meta tag should exist to define device scaling

Viewport meta tag was not found in page header.

Kindred

s4 is ancient....   probably not matching modern standards
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

GigaWatt

Quote from: Pipke on October 25, 2018, 03:01:09 PM
mobile screenshot in attachment, btw russian is abracadabra to me lol

It's not Russian :D. It's a Cyrillic language, but it's not Russian :D.

Quote from: Pipke on October 25, 2018, 03:22:02 PM
Quote from: GigaWatt on October 25, 2018, 09:03:56 AM

in RecentForumsTopics.php change this as desired

if (isset($_REQUEST['start']) && $_REQUEST['start'] > 95)
$_REQUEST['start'] = 95;

and find all '100' in file, to the desired number of topics, that should do the task.

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

FishingManMatt

Sorry for the delayed response. I had to leave for a few days.

Quote from: Pipke on October 25, 2018, 05:04:57 PM
on my dev tools chrome all is fine
Indeed. I have no idea why it looks different in my DevTools. Really a mystery  :o

Quote from: Pipke on October 25, 2018, 05:04:57 PM
btw Viewport meta tag should exist to define device scaling

Viewport meta tag was not found in page header.
Ah, I see.
Is it recommended to add this meta tag (even to the default non-responsive theme)?

Pipke

@FishingManMatt you can always try it out, i guess it will do no harm
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

FishingManMatt

Thanks Pipke!
After adding this meta I got the following preview in the DevTools which is, I suppose, even more strange.
I thought it could be related to the custom font DPI (125%) which I set in my Windows, but nothing changed after setting it to the default 100%.
Also, in my desktop Chrome shortcut I have the following target command:
"...\chrome.exe" /high-dpi-support=1 /force-device-scale-factor=1
I launched Chrome without this addition but it didn't change anything either.

The fact is that the GigaWatt's site always looks good in DevTools.

Never mind, let's say it is something mysterious :)
The most important thing is that the site (and the RFT table) looks OK on most mobile devices.

EthanR

I'm getting this error message daily in my logs:

http://*********/forums/index.php?topic=5876.0
Use of undefined constant php - assumed 'php'
/public_html/forums/Themes/default/languages/RecentForumTopics.english.php (eval?)
Line: 1

Any ideas?

Kindred

turn off eval....   but it looks like one of your files has a bad header
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

EthanR

Turned off eval, new error pointed to "RecentForumTopics.english-UTF8.php".  Turned eval back on and removed the file for now. I assume it's used when your forum is in UTF8 format. Will look into it again when I convert to UTF8

PFigo

Dear Pipke,

First I would like to publicly thank you for your support and availability to change your MOD.
I am already using it on my fórum page but I have some issues and some requests (if possible).

Would like to have a option or eventually remove completely the 2 colluns on the left side of the topic (post).

On the topic would be nice to have date of when was changed.

On mobile version of my fórum luckily, when fórum is loades is justify all to the left....so is not so bad.
But If I zoom out we can see different boards (blocks) sizes.
Your MOD is not adapting to remaining theme.
Anything you can do with this? "Automatic resize" of topic block?

Best regards

Pedro Figo

PFigo

QuoteOn the topic would be nice to have date of when was changed.

Forget this....is already on the right column "LAST MESSAGE"...sorry

Pipke

Quote from: PFigo on August 18, 2019, 04:54:59 AM
Would like to have a option or eventually remove completely the 2 colluns on the left side of the topic (post).
Mod updated v1.2
- Added option to show/hide first and/or second icon column

Quote from: PFigo on August 18, 2019, 04:54:59 AM
On mobile version of my fórum luckily, when fórum is loades is justify all to the left....so is not so bad.
But If I zoom out we can see different boards (blocks) sizes.
Your MOD is not adapting to remaining theme.
Anything you can do with this? "Automatic resize" of topic block?

Try this. NOTE:This apply only for your theme!
Open file /Themes/YOURTHEME/RecentForumTopics.template.php (v1.2)
find line 44:

<th scope="col" width="15%">', $txt['replies'], ' / ', $txt['views'], '</th>

replace by:

<th scope="col" class="taphoNone" width="15%">', $txt['replies'], ' / ', $txt['views'], '</th>

find line 45:

<th scope="col" class="lefttext last_th" width="24%">', $txt['last_post'], '</th>';

replace by:

<th scope="col" class="lefttext eightSixtyRemove last_th phoneNone" width="24%">', $txt['last_post'], '</th>';

find line 170:

<td class="stats ', $color_class, '">

replace by:

<td class="stats taphoNone ', $color_class, '">

find line 175:

<td class="lastpost ', $alternate_class, '">';

replace by:

<td class="lastpost eightSixtyRemove ', $alternate_class, '">';

PFigo

Hello,

New version in use and working. Nice.
Removing the 2 columns on the left helped on the mobile version but still issues :-(

Quote"Try this. NOTE:This apply only for your theme!
Open file /Themes/YOURTHEME/RecentForumTopics.template.php (v1.2)"
I don´t have that file on the specific theme I am using. I have one called "Recent.template.php" but this file doesn´t match with your instructions :-( neither line number and content!
Can I send you the file I have called "Recent.template-php" so you see?.....or because is not your theme is bad?

P.S. On default SMF heme I have the file called "RecentForumTopics.template.php"

Best regards

Pedro Figo

Advertisement: