News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Cannot login. Page just reloads.

Started by cassie, May 16, 2014, 04:22:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cassie

I installed SMF 2.0.7 on a domain in March. It's a side project of mine, so had to put it aside for awhile.

Yesterday, I had time to work on it and went to install a new theme. I tried to log in but received the error "Your session timed out while posting. Please go back and try again." I tried again to no avail. I then decided to use the forgot password link, but after I filled in my email address, I received the same error.

I decided to just delete the database and directory and start over with a new install.

Now when I try to log in, it just reloads the page...nothing else. I can't log in but I don't get an error.

I've checked the error log on the server and there's nothing there.

I've tried it in Firefox and Chrome with the same results.

This is a clean install -- no mods.

I've used SMF for years but the last version I used on a now retired forum was 1.1 -- 2.0 is new to me, for what that's worth.

Can someone give me some other things to check? I'm stumped.

Thanks!

margarett

Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Herman's Mixen

If you are actually not on PHP 5.5 stay at SMF 2.0.6 !
so i assume you need to downgrade to 2.0.6 in this case
Met vriendelijke groet, The Burglar!

House Mixes | Mixcloud | Any Intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent.
It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein

Former Godfather of our dutch community ;)

cassie

Herman, that's likely the answer. I'm not on PHP 5.5. Will install 2.0.6 and report back. Thanks!

margarett

That's really not related. There are no session issues with 2.0.7 and that version still works with PHP 4.something+
Quote from: margarett on May 16, 2014, 04:28:48 PM
Can you give us a phpinfo?
What is a phpinfo() file?

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

to O.P. did you try clearing your browser cache and cookies?

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

cassie

Well, 2.0.6 didn't improve things at all.

Margaret, I could share phpinfo.php but could you just ask me for pertinent info? I'm running PHP version 5.4.27.

Bob, I did clear browser cache and cookies. No change.

Cassie, if it were me I'd go back up to SMF 2.0.7 and run repair_settings.php, be sure and download the latest version from here, there's many improvements, make sure all your settings are correct

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

cassie

Bob, I just went back and installed 2.0.7. I did run repair_settings.php (I've never done this before) but I didn't see any issues. All settings looked correct.

I'm out of ideas...

margarett

cassie

Weeeeelllllll....I'll check with host and see if they can see anything that may be causing the problem. I certainly don't know.

Quote from: cassie on May 16, 2014, 05:56:27 PM
Weeeeelllllll....I'll check with host and see if they can see anything that may be causing the problem. I certainly don't know.

Since there are no mods, wait before i say this, when you went back up to 2.0.7, how did you do it, did you use the package manager or did you use upgrade.php file, & did you copy source files over top of the 2.0.6 files? if you did NOT copy any files, it won't hurt a thing to get a fresh copy of the entire set of 2.0.7 files copied over top of what you have, EXCEPT omit copying Settings.php in the root directory
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

cassie

Bob, I just wiped out the directory files and uploaded the new 2.0.7 files and ran the installer again. I dropped all tables in the database so started clean.

I've got a ticket in with my host to see if they see any issues related to sessions.

Can you post me a link to your site?

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

Quote from: cassie on May 16, 2014, 06:41:03 PM
Bob, I just wiped out the directory files and uploaded the new 2.0.7 files and ran the installer again. I dropped all tables in the database so started clean.

Since you wiped out the database, hmm, when you ran the install.php program, it didn't give you errors or messages of indicating any problems??

I'd still like to look for myself, a link please? Did you install in the root of your domain, or a subfolder?

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

cassie

Bob, I just started over. There were no errors from the install program because I just performed a clean install.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

The issue was an issue with the Varnish cache on the server. It is specifically configured for WordPress and thus causes issues with other software that requires a login. Host has adjusted things on this domain so all working as it should now. Just wanted to follow this up in case others have similar issue. I always check here first and exhaust other possible causes before I check with host, just to make sure.

Thank you again!

margarett

Dewed

Pretty sure all you needed to do was delete the relevant cookie from your browser so a valid one could of been recreated

Arantor

Quote from: Dewed on May 17, 2014, 04:55:48 PM
Pretty sure all you needed to do was delete the relevant cookie from your browser so a valid one could of been recreated

Or not based on the post up from yours where it was specifically an issue with other software running on the hosting account.

Kindred

yet another case where wordpress (or some wordpress configuration) screws up a forum
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: