News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

Email Function Broken?

Started by cyberknight8610, May 23, 2014, 02:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyberknight8610

I have installed the forums but it wont send emails to people when they register or anything. I know I have everything set up correctly, I even contacted my host and they said that it should be working. It's won't even send emails if a person is approved or is thay get a message or subscribe to a topic.

Can someone help me with this?

here are the forums-
http://yugitube.com/index.php [nofollow]

margarett

Are you using default settings in SMF? Is your webmaster email address an existing email from your domain?

Out of curiosity, what's your php version?
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

cyberknight8610

I am using SMTP and I filled it out with my localhost and port, etc. I tried a domain email then my host suggested a google mail so I tried that too. idk on php version.

cyberknight8610

any help? I want to get this fixed asap

margarett

Use standard php mail function instead. For gmail you need different ports and some more tricks, IIRC...

Have as a webmaster email address a valid email that exists in your domain/account instead of a gmail one

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

cyberknight8610

my host said to use SMTP, does it make a difference? My host said to use a google email because my admin one was blacked as spam. I changed the pots and stuff for the google email. If it better to use the admin one then I will try it.

margarett

And how are you configuring SMTP in SMF?

cyberknight8610

ok I will try Php, I will ask my host about it

margarett

OK, so I accessed your forum (thank you for sending me admin details). As you have it, it can't really work...

You domain: yugitube.com
Your configured mail settings: PHP
Your webmaster email address: *****@yahoo.com

As already stated several times, in most hosts this WILL NOT work. Your webmaster email address should be a *VALID* address from your domain.

In order to have gmail via SMTP you need other settings. Check this topic for help (not totally related but the configs are there)
http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=519489.0

Arantor

Yahoo explicitly won't work in that situation. While some systems do, Yahoo's use of domainkeys means it explicitly will not.

cyberknight8610

so I just to change my email to an email address that has my domain?

Arantor

That would generally help, yes.

cyberknight8610

ok I have it to PHP default and I have an email with the domain. Anything else?

margarett

Should be ok. Does it work?

cyberknight8610

Arantor

How are you trying to test it?

cyberknight8610

I have been testing it my loging out and registering a new account. I still dont get the email from it though

Kindred

ok... so, what exactly are you EXPECTING?

1- did you set the system to notify admins when a new account registers?
Did you set it up in your smf admin AND confirm the notification in your own profile?
2- Did you properly set up the php mail settings?

3- is YOUR account in the main admin group?

giving one line answers and forcing us to try to pry information out of you does not help us help you and will result in most support folks giving up and moving on to help people who actually try to provide useful information.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

cyberknight8610

it's very simple I want it to send an email when someone registers to the website. I dont know if the mail setting s are wrong or what it could be. Like I said the website just wont send emails at all. I did think I needed a paragraph to explain that...

Kindred

well that's nice... but you only actually answered the first of my questions....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: