News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Split Forum Mod

Started by dougiefresh, May 27, 2014, 07:55:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dougiefresh

When I read 2 posts back, I pondered the question and came up with that idea.  I got home and was just about to suggest that, when I read that you thought of it....  8)

SaltedWeb

Quote from: dougiefresh on December 26, 2017, 11:36:22 PM
When I read 2 posts back, I pondered the question and came up with that idea.  I got home and was just about to suggest that, when I read that you thought of it....  8)

Thanks Dougiefresh, for taking the time to and figure it out for me, funny how sometimes the answer is right in front of you. I was over thinking the answer was my problem.
By the way really like this mod, I have tested it on my test forum and its seems fairly mod friendly no issues or errors. It was the perfect solution I have a main group and a couple satellite groups and this will save me allot of time not having to build separate as they all use about the same mods and should look the same this fits perfect for what i am doing. Appreciate the work put into this as the more I dove in the more I saw what a nice and smooth mod it was.  Thanks again for the help though... sorry I figured it out first lol
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

SaltedWeb

PS in case anyone else takes this route to keep same named themes renamed off line before install just rename it in the XML file and it will show up in the theme directory easier to keep track of what theme is what even after install generally the newest theme is towards the end of the list but this may help before its installed and eliminate guess work.
Knowing your limitations makes you human, exceeding these limitations makes you worthy of being human.

SaltedWeb

Well I thought that would work even put the theme in another directory why the theme and mod work flawlessly the cache in the
browser is not seeing a different file location and hence pull up the main themes logo.
Even tried uninstalling the main theme and adding after the second renamed one, but still its caches after the first.
Its varying per browser Chrome it doesn't work firefox it does. So going to have to go back and try and re-think this come up with a solution...

EDIT : The forum cache in Maintenance was the problem after I emptied it it worked. Just going to leave it here again in case anyone goes this route.

SaltedWeb

Hello, I noticed today for some reason errors when creating boards.
It does not do it when I create categories.
It is the only mod on the forum so not sure what is causing it, also there is no
line 425 in ManagePermissions.english.php ends in the 300's

Upon create I get :
public_html/Themes/default/languages/ManagePermissions.english.php (modify_board sub template - eval?)
Line: 425

removal I get :
File: /home/uniteds1/public_html/Sources/ManageBoards.php
Line: 524

appreciate any ideas/

Update it not only causes the error but when I switched themes to test it all the subforums categories were empty
no categories or boards. The main forum is intact.  So removed the mod and it gave error "Unknown column 'forum' in 'where clause'
File: /home/*****/public_html/Packages/temp/settings_uninstall.php
Line: 44

It then created a error Fatal error: Call to undefined function splitforum_denyaccess() in /home/*****/public_html/index.php on line 204
which I fixed but left it behind.

It wont install at this point creates the errors above each time.
Tried it on a clean test forum and it did the same thing as fully described.

SaltedWeb

Wanted to give further feedback:

Tried a fresh domain installed SMF then just this mod and using SMF's stock theme it also would not uninstall.
Gave same errors creating and removing Categories and Boards when created or removed for this mod only.
Spent a good part of the evening trying to find a cause and nothing comes up.
It keeps referring to lines that are not present in the files that are giving errors so could not copy paste them here.

SaltedWeb

After several hours I was finally able to find a referring line, this is when you delete a Category or Board.
As it kept spitting out Line references that were not there.
This was a fresh domain, no mods accept this and was a fresh install of SMF all today.
Not sure this helps it seems to be fairly consistent on the error occuring however tends
spit out several line references that sometimes do not exist in the file its referring too.

Error Log:

8: Undefined index: is_childApply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: /home/*****/*****.org/Sources/ManageBoards.php
Line: 524

Quoteif ($board['is_child'] == false && $board['selected'] == false)

SaltedWeb

Dougiefresh, please disregard my support questions on this, I have found even testing it on another server and domain it was
exactly the same error.  I am afraid that if there is another SMF update this mod will cause future issues as it seems it worked fine prior to 2.0.15
so rather then waste your time on trying to find a fix i'm going to pass using this mod .

Just so you can be aware it causes the problem on 2.0.15 manual and host install. Under several domains when tested.
Using the default theme, no mods no addon no edits of any kind. I have tried root installs and directory installs of SMF not
that it would or should effect it but issue persistent . I am not hosted at GD which would be an obvious cause.
There is no errors on install, there is errors intermittent with no consistency upon uninstall which I listed above in this thread. 
It varies on mentioning errors on non existent lines but not always as is listed above.

Thanks
SW

dougiefresh

@SaltedWeb:  I know you said to disregard the support questions, but I'll look into these bug reports.  There has to be a reason why it is happening....  Chances are others have found the same errors, and want the issue resolved....

SaltedWeb

Hi Dougie if I can help test it let me know.

I did even a couple times installed it last ( cause was bugging me too) night on a fresh SMF, and was so far able to duplicate the results about hmm maybe 10 times. Tried playing with some of the files it modified but I am not a developer PHP is not a strong suit of mine.
Id like to use it if it was fixed. I was not able to tell any other errors with mods etc, because it does it all on its own with no mods.
I asked a friend of mine whom is hosted elsewhere to see if it did the same and he states the same issue creating boards and removing them.

Not sure this will help but I tried seeing any effects on other stuff, I noticed on my test forum I installed simple portal no issues on a clean forum then the Split Forum and it would not allow SP to create Articles came up with a database line missing tried it twice and was able to duplicate it. All other areas of SP worked. I just did that to see if it was effecting just SMF or would it effect other stuff.
The fact it points to a line that doesn't exist I found odd.

let me know if I can help further having spent some time poking around ow I am curious.
It also appears 2.0.14 was fine for others wonder what was different in .15 to make a difference in operating.

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.40 - January 3rd, 2018
o Fixed code that produced two undefined array element errors.

@SaltedWeb:  I fixed the code block that was producing errors.  Thank you for reporting the bug!

SaltedWeb

;)NP... thanks for the fix :-) 8)

SaltedWeb

Hi Dougie that issue seems fixed with creating categories however:

When creating a new sub forum it created a new forum however modify shoots right back to creating a forum.
Editing features are no longer accessible such as placement etc and trying to do so gives.
Logged error :
8: Undefined index: sp_portalApply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: /home/****/public_html/Sources/ManageSplitForum.php
Line: 170

Quotearray('text', 'subforum_modify_sp_standalone',
^170^            'javascript' => ($subforum_tree[$sub]['sp_portal'] != 3 ? ' disabled="disabled"' : ''),
         ),

It seemed to only effect one mod file that it /Sources/Recent.php under mod.
Post Anonymously In Topic which appears just a simple rewrite issues if unistalled

Uninstalling the mod gave errors:

8: Undefined variable: catApply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: /home/*****/public_html/Packages/temp/settings_uninstall.php
Line: 25
That file I could not access as I guess once uninstalled its not there.

I have not tested any other areas of the forum I checked and the areas mentioned only but had to stop when
creating the subforums was not working,

Thanks

SW

EDIT: The Post Anonymously In Topic, mod that would have errored upon an removal with split-forum installed was fine to remove after I removed split mod and now errors were there not sure if that helps you pin point anything. ?

I am checking the rest of the forum to see if installing it left any ailing effects.

Edit2: Ok I see it caused several issues with the portal as it wont create article, which it did prior to this installed today I am running simple portal on this forum. I had hoped it would install ok, so kinda jacked up my site lol, my bad should have used the test site, luckily this was not into full production yet.  I think I will just have to avoid it for my use but as mentioned happy to test out any issues you think need fixing.

The error on the portal was :
QuoteThe database value you're trying to insert does not exist: targetboard
Function: sportal_admin_article_add Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: /home/****/public_html/Sources/PortalAdminArticles.php
Line: 352
      'targetboard' => $_REQUEST['targetboard'],
         )
      );
      list ($topiccount) = $smcFunc['db_fetch_row']($request);
      $smcFunc['db_free_result']($request);

dougiefresh

Quote from: SaltedWeb on January 03, 2018, 08:55:56 PM
Hi Dougie that issue seems fixed with creating categories however:
Good to hear.

When creating a new sub forum it created a new forum however modify shoots right back to creating a forum.
Editing features are no longer accessible such as placement etc
Can't duplicate this bug report.

and trying to do so gives.
Logged error :
8: Undefined index: sp_portalApply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: /home/****/public_html/Sources/ManageSplitForum.php
Line: 170
Fixed for next version.

It seemed to only effect one mod file that it /Sources/Recent.php under mod.
Post Anonymously In Topic which appears just a simple rewrite issues if unistalled
Please clarify.

Uninstalling the mod gave errors:

8: Undefined variable: catApply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: /home/*****/public_html/Packages/temp/settings_uninstall.php
Line: 25
Fixed for next version.

EDIT: The Post Anonymously In Topic, mod that would have errored upon an removal with split-forum installed was fine to remove after I removed split mod and now errors were there not sure if that helps you pin point anything. ?

I am checking the rest of the forum to see if installing it left any ailing effects.

Edit2: Ok I see it caused several issues with the portal as it wont create article, which it did prior to this installed today I am running simple portal on this forum. I had hoped it would install ok, so kinda jacked up my site lol, my bad should have used the test site, luckily this was not into full production yet.  I think I will just have to avoid it for my use but as mentioned happy to test out any issues you think need fixing.

The error on the portal was :
Function: sportal_admin_article_add Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: /home/****/public_html/Sources/PortalAdminArticles.php
         )
      );

Hmmmm.....  Weird....

SaltedWeb

QuoteQuote from: SaltedWeb on Yesterday at 08:55:56 PM
Editing features are no longer accessible such as placement etc
Can't duplicate this bug report.

I guess I will assume its probably now effecting a mod that it didnt before perhaps due to the changes I will try it on a test board
later.

)
      );

I also thought was odd, it stopped, but I think I noted this above before, because it had done it before if I failed to put it in the original post I apologies, that was not new it was occurring before.

dougiefresh

Yeah, this mod (Split Forum Mod) does not make any changes to Sources/PortalAdminArticles.php.  Looking on the code in that function, it's highly unlikely that this mod is at fault for those errors....

SaltedWeb

I was un-enable to resolve it myself, took a new site nothing on it and gave the error.
But in my own case I abandoned the idea to use its, must be something on my end but not sure
what it is. Thanks again.

SaltedWeb

Touching bases to see if anything came of the issues I was reporting.
I am still finding the errors last reported, this would be 5 sites I installed new and tried it on and
same errors. I have tried placing the Forum in a Directory, even a subdomain and root and repeated the process
each time.  I have reverted back and tried 1.39 and gave the same results so the changes in 1.40 didnt seem to change it.
I am not sure what is triggering it because other then that error it seems to function but I am unsure how that could effect things down the road. Thanks SW

QuoteApply Filter: Only show the error messages of this URL http://*******.com/forum1/index.php?action=admin;area=manageboards;sa=newboard;cat=3;sub=1Apply Filter: Only show the errors with the same message8: Undefined offset: 0Apply Filter: Only show the errors from this file File: /home/un*****/***********.com/Themes/default/languages/ManagePermissions.english.php (modify_board sub template - eval?)
Line: 425

PS : on a clean forum the install and removal gave no errors on this mod. Just using it ti create Boards it looks like.,

SaltedWeb

Hi Dougie just touching bases has anything else come up with the errors I was getting?

So far have tried on several sites and then just the one mod and it still has this issue. I am not sure how catastrophic it would be if I ignored the error. But Id hate to lose work put in.... 

dougiefresh

@SaltedWeb:  Sorry about the delay in responding.  I need to ask you to please be patient a little while longer.  God, I hate to spoil surprises, but I've got a MAJOR UPDATE for this mod coming out, as soon as I hammer out the last few issues with the mod....

@Rock Lee:  Can you translate the following text strings into Spanish Latin?
$txt['subforum_deny'] = 'Deny access to';
$txt['permissiongroup_access_subforums'] = 'Subforum Access';
$txt['subforum_settings_permission_access'] = 'Restrict subforum access using permissions?';
$txt['subforum_settings_permission_access_log'] = 'Log users who access restricted subforums?';
$txt['subforum_access_denied'] = 'Access to this subforum has been denied.';
$txt['wrong_forum'] = 'The board you specified is located on a different forum.';
$txt['subforum_error_bad_membergroup'] = 'You cannot add membergroups that are not associated with this subforum.';

Advertisement: