News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Could not contact server.

Started by Sie_Sayoka, May 29, 2014, 12:51:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sie_Sayoka

Hello,

I've recently been trying to installs mods onto my forums. I download the ZIP files and upload them into the packages folder through FTP. However, when I go to the package manager and click the "test connection" button, it only says this:

Could not contact server.

I've input all of the same information as the FTP and have used multiple paths to try and solve this problem. If anyone could provide some insight onto this it would be much appreciated.

kat

"test connection" button? Can't say I've ever seen that... (I could be going blind, though)

Sir Osis of Liver

IIRC, there's a 'test connection' button somewhere in Package Manager which is used if you're trying to set up an ftp connection, possibly for changing file permissions.  Not necessary if packages are installed the correct way.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

If it can't make a connection that generally means not so much the path might be wrong but the rest of the details.

kat

Hmmm... I really can't find that, on mine.

Probably something odd that I've done, somewhere... ;)

Sir Osis of Liver

Can't find it either.  Think you have to do something first to get to the page that has the button.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

kat

Never seen it, that I can remember. I even checked my v1 forum.

Sie_Sayoka

Error message and the test connection button.

When I put in the correct port it takes around a minute saying it's loading before saying that it could not contact the server. I'm not sure if that's relevant or not.

Arantor

So you put in the server and port... did you put in a username and password?

Sie_Sayoka

Yes. I just didn't show them there because of security.

Arantor

And I presume they were actually correct?

Arantor

I'm sure you understand that we have to check these things.

So what path were you trying to use?

Sie_Sayoka

Of course, I appreciate all help.

Paths I've tried:

/forum
/www/forum
/var/www/forum

For the FTP server I've tried both localhost and the IP of the server. I've also tried different accounts. I still can't seem to connect. Would this somehow be a problem with CHMODs?

Arantor

It shouldn't be a chmod problem, and the paths seem all good. I presume FTP is actually configured on your server? (If you're running out of /var/www, that would seem a little unlikely, though)

Sie_Sayoka

Actually I am using SFTP. Totally forgot about that. Would that have anything to do with the error?

Arantor

That would. SMF does not support SFTP, nor is it likely to any time soon.

Sie_Sayoka

I see, thank you. I'll set up FTP and see if it works.

Arantor

I couldn't recommend it. There's nothing SMF does over FTP that you couldn't do yourself. All SMF is doing is making everything writable so it can write. Most people don't even put it back afterwards, leaving them at risk.

I'd generally suggest making the files writable yourself via SFTP, installing mods, and then making the files read-only again yourself because then you know it's done.

Sie_Sayoka

Okay. I'll install them manually then. Thank you.

kat

Beautifully worked through, gents! :)

Kindred

I do not recommend that either...

Set the chmod permissions to make the files writeable using your own sftp conenction.
install the mod
set the chmod back to protected.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Which doesn't cover for the cases of files being created by the installer which can have the correct chmod but the wrong file owner.

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Whereas manual installation actually would ;)

Both methods have pros and cons.

Advertisement: