"Open in new window / tab" tick box for "Redirect to a web address" board.

Started by AndrzejL, June 01, 2014, 01:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrzejL

Hi there.

"Open in new window / tab" tick box for "Redirect to a web address" boards.

I am using SMF in version 2.0.7 and I miss this option. I don't know if its something You plan to add to the next versions but it would be nice to see it.

I know that there was a working mod that took care of this:

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=281974.0

however its not working with the most current version of SMF.

Don't get me wrong. I am not asking for a support with installing the mod. I am asking for a functionality that this mod was providing to be added to SMF in new versions by default.

Kind regards.

AndrzejL

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Shambles

Confirmed that the mod works perfectly in 2.0.7

Quote from: AndrzejL
Which aspect of the mod isn't working for you?

AndrzejL

Quote from: Kindred on June 01, 2014, 02:45:30 PM
that mod should work just fine with 2.0.7
ALMOST anything designed for 2.0.x will work with any other version of 2.0.x

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_can_I_install_a_mod_that_doesn%27t_work_in_my_SMF_version

Quote from: Shambles on June 01, 2014, 02:52:37 PM
Confirmed that the mod works perfectly in 2.0.7

Quote from: AndrzejL

Which aspect of the mod isn't working for you?

Awfuly sorry to drop this "not working" bombshell

Yes I am familiar with the link. The problem with the mod is that its looking for a certain code in the certain files and when it finds it it replaces it - however in this case - its not finding that code. I might try to mess with it manually after backing the forum up but that's not the case. If this option was available by default - there would be no need for the mod and there would be no problems while installing it. I believe that the feature is good. I would really like to see it being added.

Thank You for replying.

Kind regards.

Andrzej

Shambles

So it's not "not working", it just won't install cleanly because of previous mods you've installed that have changed the locator text strings being searched for by the package manager.

You need to go through the mod's parser to see what to edit, manually.

AndrzejL

Quote from: Shambles on June 01, 2014, 03:03:14 PM
So it's not "not working", it just won't install cleanly because of previous mods you've installed that have changed the locator text strings being searched for by the package manager.

You need to go through the mod's parser to see what to edit, manually.

For me if something does not installs properly its a first sign of "not working". It may be a simple case of finding the lines and replacing them - sure - but thats not a clean installation.

Anyway. I don't want to turn this topic into "working" "not working" "working but wont install cleanly" debate. I just wanted to ask for this feature to be added in the future releases of SMF.

Thanks.

Andrzej

Kindred

OK... there is a significant difference between "not working" and "won't install because I have already installed mods which altered the code"

In the first case, you are right... not working is an issue.
In the second case...   it's your fault -- or more specifically, the fault of whatever other mods that you already have installed -- and the mod itself works just fine on a standard SMF installation. (additionally, since your mods have already changed code, there is a good chance that any new mod will have the same issue - since mods are designed to install into the default SMF code.)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Kindred

You are possibly correct.

However, I was not debating the merits of the feature at this point... merely the original user's statement that the mod was "broken"
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

I just looked at it that it doesn't matter in the context of this request once the OP had said he wasn't interested in debating working/not working/not cleanly installed and concentrating on the fact that this was a feature request.

Kindred

well, it won't ever be a feature in 2.0.x... so that part is out.

I'll check with the dev list of actions and see if anyone is interested in adding it ad a 2.1 thing.
Слaва
Украинi

Oldiesmann

Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Antes

I don't see this as core feature as well, a small tip/trick or mod do the job.

Oldiesmann

Going back through this board and catching up on things. Still something that should be easy to add for 2.1 (just a simple "open in new window" checkbox). I'll look into adding this.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Advertisement: