News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

I accidentally removed the wrong section of my forum!

Started by Segnali, June 05, 2014, 07:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Segnali

now...is there an easy way to bring it back to life or am I required to do something with my last back-up?

But if I install the last back-up I will lose all new content...what should I do?

Thanks

Bigguy

Can you give us more detail please. What part did you remove. What were you trying to do. Did you play with the database at all or just the files. ??

Segnali

Quote from: Bigguy on June 05, 2014, 08:09:43 AM
Can you give us more detail please. What part did you remove. What were you trying to do. Did you play with the database at all or just the files. ??

I just went in my admin section then deleted this:

http://investireinazioni.com/forum/index.php?action=admin;area=manageboards;sa=board;boardid=65

instead of the one next to it...they were named similar.

Thank you

vbgamer45

If you deleted the boad will all posts you will need to use the backup someway.
What I would suggest is setting up a new database load all the sql from backup to that new database.
Then run queries to insert data back from the backup from the board id that you deleted. You would need to do at least the topics and messages table and the boards table
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Segnali

why does not SMF have an "UNDO" option?

Dragooon

Quote from: Segnali di Trading .com on June 05, 2014, 10:03:45 AM
why does SMF have an "UNDO" option?
Because you pressed Shift Delete instead of Delete, the action you did permanently removes them from DB. You can't have those posts back via undo, your only chance here would be having a backup.

Segnali

Quote from: Dragooon on June 05, 2014, 10:09:55 AM
Quote from: Segnali di Trading .com on June 05, 2014, 10:03:45 AM
why does SMF have an "UNDO" option?
Because you pressed Shift Delete instead of Delete, the action you did permanently removes them from DB. You can't have those posts back via undo, your only chance here would be having a backup.

I did not press any shift delete, I was in my admin area, here it is, it's in Italian sorry but you should be able to understand where I am:

Segnali

Anyway I do have the backup, it is already installed in another domain, I used it to test new mods.

But I really have no idea how to do what the other person advised me. :(

margarett

He was joking :P Shift+delete is what you do in Windows to delete without going through recycle bin :)

There is no possibility to undo database operations... Most records in most tables are related to other records in other tables. Then when you add new content that generates new IDs, it makes it extremely difficult to go back. Even what vbgamer45 told you to do is a real pain to do, especially if you're not comfortable with database handling (and even if you are, it is really difficult...).

Best best is really to lock your forum to prevent new content to be added and then restore your backup.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Advertisement: