News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Preview hangs if user types an apostrophe in their message...

Started by johnmck6, June 06, 2014, 01:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnmck6

I emailed them a detailed description of the issue, hopefully they can figure it out.

If this helps, I created a phpversion file:

http://www.jpmckay.com/phpversion.php [nofollow]

(I'm no expert at this stuff, just googled how to find out the version...)

Arantor

Well, I already knew it was PHP 5.3.28 since the server admits as much quite happily (as is standard for PHP), but unfortunately this isn't a PHP configurable thing, this sounds like an issue with mod_security under the hood which is an Apache module (and the server admits it's running Apache)

johnmck6

Waiting for a reply from them.

Interestingly, I noticed a new quirk.

If I type a reply without any apostrophes, then preview it, it previews fine. Then, sometimes, if I go back and insert an apostrophe into that reply, it will preview fine. But extending the reply by adding a letter at the end makes it no longer preview.

Weirdness

Arantor

johnmck6

OK, well it's not very satisfying but the problem is resolved.

The solution was to move my account to another server, in another data center, but still owned by the same hosting company. The guy from support was very helpful, and we tried about a million things. In the end, though, it was just a hunch I had that moving to another server would solve it, and it did, for now.

Thanks for the help, I learned a lot!

Ninja ZX-10RR

I don't know what you think arantor but to me they moved it to a server with mod_security disabled and maybe different settings. What do you think? I was following this topic but no way I could answer better than you so I was just shutting up. But then? Mod_security off and there it goes? It sounds so weird as regards the relative behaviour though...
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

I think you've nailed it, honestly. Since the software didn't change between server moves, and neither did the browser, the only thing that's different is the server.

Which means it's almost certainly something funky in the configuration - and mod_security is by far the usual culprit, though by no means the only one.

Ninja ZX-10RR

It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

johnmck6

They said they turned off mod_security and tried various things, but to no avail. The weird thing was that he couldn't replicate the behavior on his end. When I finally got him to install another instance of SMF into a test account (rather than my account) and it worked fine, he agreed that something was funky, but he couldn't find it. Moving to another server was just a hunch.

I'm sure it had to do with a configuration somewhere, but he never did isolate it. We worked on it via chat for about 3 hours.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: johnmck6 on June 08, 2014, 12:11:45 AM
They said they turned off mod_security and tried various things, but to no avail. The weird thing was that he couldn't replicate the behavior on his end. When I finally got him to install another instance of SMF into a test account (rather than my account) and it worked fine, he agreed that something was funky, but he couldn't find it. Moving to another server was just a hunch.

I'm sure it had to do with a configuration somewhere, but he never did isolate it. We worked on it via chat for about 3 hours.
My face reading this -->  :o well ok... At least we are glad you sorted that very weird thing out...

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

kat

Sounds like your host is a good one. Not too often that we can say that. :)

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: K@ on June 08, 2014, 05:16:33 AM
Sounds like your host is a good one. Not too often that we can say that. :)
Indeed. Tell us your host john, I believe they definitely need a good feedback for this.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: