News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Update to SMF 2.0.8?

Started by Ninja ZX-10RR, June 19, 2014, 07:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja ZX-10RR

Anyone who knows why we are still running SMF 2.0.7 when SMF 2.0.8 has been released? I don't get it.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

LiroyvH

Because we have not upgraded yet
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Ninja ZX-10RR

That I could see it myself but I was asking the reason why you still didn't do that.
If I was promoting something (such as SMF software) I would be the first using the latest release... Also you claimed it's more stable and that a few issues regarding memory-usage have been corrected. On a big site like this memory is a really important thing I think... Then why didn't upgrade yet?
Thanks for your reply anyhow :)
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

live627

Quote from: Flavio93Zena on June 19, 2014, 07:45:13 PM
Anyone who knows why we are still running SMF 2.0.7 when SMF 2.0.8 has been released? I don't get it.
My site is still on 2.0.6.

Kindred

Because updating this site is. It actually as simple as 99% of the sites running the software.
We have integrations with 4 different softwares and some custom code in the back end to do things that you can't see, but requires manual effort.
Finally, we have been busy getting the release built and released and we only have so many hands who have server access.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

LiroyvH

You can leave the thinking to what is really important for our own site to ourselves, really. ;)

It's very simple: we have been focusing on other things. Users have top priority, then we come.
We're usually the very first to run our own latest release (and of course the first time in 5 years that we don't install it within 2 minutes, someone instantly starts asking questions...), but the very few people who can actually make the upgrade happen here have been busy with other things for our users.
Considering it's not a security update: honestly, what do 1 to 2 days delay in upgrading matter to you? :)

We encourage everyone to upgrade, and upgrade as soon as possible. Let there be no doubt about that.
We work hard on ensuring everyone can (and as far as possible: will) do that, and whilst we're busy doing that and have some other business to look at/attend to for our users: we have not yet upgraded our own site as our product users are our very top-priority.

Don't worry, the site will be upgraded very soon. Probably later today/tomorrow.
But don't forget... We're all volunteers with limited time, and we need to prioritize business. (And there's only an extremely limited amount of people that can actually ensure the upgrade will install here.)
I see no reason why we should have to justify that, and I quite frankly don't think I will again should this repeat itself in the future.

Be patient, attend to your own sites first and whilst you're here anyway with the shiny SHOTM badge: help other users upgrade. ;)
Let us worry about ourselves. :)

Arantor

Considering that you guys are still running the first version of 2.0.7 on this site anyway... you're not going to be able to easily install 2.0.8.

Then did you fix the other bug that caused you guys not to be able to update to the proper 2.0.7 yet?

-- Mr. Doom

LiroyvH

It won't be difficult at all, just requires two people with access instead of one. :)

Arantor

That depends whether you fixed the bug or not. Last I heard, all packages had been marked uninstalled which meant you couldn't uninstall the first version of 2.0.7 to install the fixed version of 2.0.7. 2.0.8 will not install on the broken version.

LiroyvH

There's an app for that and multiple devs, in the event there would be a problem. Don't worry. :)

Arantor

Oh, I'm not worrying. I gave up worrying after I've been asking about this on and off for months.

-- Mr. Doom

LiroyvH

Well then I see no reason to even remotely worry about it it in the slightest now. ;)

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: live627 on June 19, 2014, 08:44:18 PM
Quote from: Flavio93Zena on June 19, 2014, 07:45:13 PM
My site is still on 2.0.6.
Well if you have that problem that leads 2.0.7 to crash it's fine... Otherwise.. Wtf? xD

@CoreISP never meant to bother you being annoying, it was because like you said you have been always upgrading immediately after the release and I just wanted to know if you were experiencing troubles or something :) and well for sure I ask - this is one of the very few sites I do care about for real ;) with your software you have given me the opportunity to build up my own project and, with it, my own future and life if everything goes straight. Could I be more grateful? I don't think so. So for sure I will help, helping you out a bit when I can it's the minimum to me, also to thank you so much for letting me use this amazing software. When I first installed SMF (after phpbb) I couldn't believe it and I was about to cry because I was starting to realize all I could do with it. So thank you, very much, ever and ever. And no worries I'll bother you no more, but out of curiosity let us know stuff I am too curious, I always want to get deeper into things, that's another reason why I am helping around here - to learn, from Arantor, from live627 (thank you for your really fast moving, closing etc actions), from you and from a lot of other faraway more experienced users. Ah and finally thank you for your reply again, and never had a doubt you are concerned about users being satisfied with the site and with the software ;)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

You ever come across someone doing something that you're familiar with, but they're doing it all wrong and you just want to take it off them and fix it?

That's how I feel about here. AND IT WON'T STFU. No matter how drunk I get. Even as fed up as I am. I can't help caring even though I don't want to any more because it hurts.

-- Mr. Doom

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: ‽ on June 19, 2014, 09:28:10 PM
You ever come across someone doing something that you're familiar with, but they're doing it all wrong and you just want to take it off them and fix it?

That's how I feel about here. AND IT WON'T STFU. No matter how drunk I get. Even as fed up as I am. I can't help caring even though I don't want to any more because it hurts.

-- Mr. Doom
O.O chill out a bit..? I am pretty sure they listen to you if you prove (as you always did) that what you say is correct. No way that SMF team will not listen a guy who coded a big part of SMF and wrote more than 60k posts here. For sure you care as well as they do, you know better about some things it's obvious, just talk about it and you will get to a solution that will satisfy both sides I believe.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

That's just it. Some of the stuff I've been saying lately, I've been saying for months but only recently are people noticing. Some of it I've been saying for years. Why should people listen to me now?

Also, 'large parts of SMF'? No. By my estimate, it weighs in at somewhere around 16,000 lines in a code base of many more (especially since of the integration of jQuery and SCEditor which are, compared to the old JS code, huge), I doubt my contributions even touch 10% of the entire code base. My real contribution has, of course, been in modding and support here, and some of the stuff I've done in the interim... I'm 90% sure that what I did in SimpleDesk back in 2010 encouraged SMF's own hooks to improve in RC4 (to be anywhere as usable as they are now). I don't know for certain but it's a pretty good speculation. I also know that there are several mods that use code I came up with.

But what would I know? I'm just a doom-monger, which automatically means all my opinions are of course now nullified. Not that they were worth much beforehand.

LiroyvH

Oh you're welcome. :)
Whilst I do appreciate the concern and pointing it out, I indeed do not particularly like it when there seems to be somewhat of an demand for justification whilst it truly, imho, doesn't really matter as long as we do install it within quite a timely manner. ;)

Yes and no. I'd try to help them out rather than taking it away... Work together, rather than against or on your own. Unite. Multiple people can usually do more than one, and that you feel someone is doing it wrong doesn't mean they're doing it wrong OR that they don't have any good ideas at all... (Which is also quite extremely black and white, no offense. :))

And which is what you can do as well. You can contribute, you can fork and give back... Whatever you wish.
Or you can be pissed and start shouting about how bad everything is, but that's not really going to help us and nor will it help you; given as you indicate:
I can't help caring even though I don't want to any more because it hurts.

No offense mate, but this way it is indeed not helping any of us.
You say you're hurt, and for our part we're getting nothing but negative feedback which isn't exactly cool either...
So does that help you? Does it help us? I'd say it does not. :)

Be pissed if you please or feel you need to be. But keep in mind that just being pissed and uttering frustration will not get anyone anywhere, and certainly not yourself if it hurts. Being constructive and help out would be more beneficial than shouting and repeating the team would be doing a very bad job. That's not nice for the team whom are doing their utmost best to push this software forward and enhance it. (Although, you apparently seem to be disagreeing with that. Which is your right. Doesn't necessarily make it true, though.)

Of course, you can disagree with that... In which case I guess it comes down to each to their own. :)

But what would I know? I'm just a doom-monger, which automatically means all my opinions are of course now nullified. Not that they were worth much beforehand.

I think that deep down inside, you also know that statement is very much incorrect.
Maybe you don't want to see it, maybe you don't want to admit it, maybe you even hate it... But I think you damn well know you're opinions are not nullified. ;) Perhaps not all opinions are agreed with or possible to implement in a given time. That doesn't mean the feedback is not being listened to and/or taken in to account.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Uhm that's a good point CoreISP. Ah by the way never asked for your own business of course it's your stuff and I don't want or even could deal with it, I was just worried :)

Arantor in one of my first posts here I said we are similar and I confirm it. Can I suggest you a thing even if I am a 21 y.o. noob who can't code an exe file? Just wait for people to do their job, do it better on your own and then blast it out when you can prove that your own job is 100% better than theirs. It's the same thing I am doing against Aeriagames company for instance. I strongly believed in a community there, they screwed up despite me being everywhere like you on that forum (*much* smaller and had 900 posts anyhow) and now me and the other previous co-mod we want to prove we are better by doing our project better than they could do with a whole team working on it (we are just 2 plus a few more helpers). Do that too. You will feel so damn good about it and I know you could do it. For instance you mentioned that SimpleDesk, well it's my favourite mod all over this website, with you I could implement a system that works much better than there and it's only one among the lots of strikes for them!
If they don't listen shut up, do what you think it would be better and trash their job if you can, that's what you have to do. You need more time to do that? Then don't help, you would support their job and they wouldn't do the same with you so you would be helping them to win. You feel stressed and with no strenght? Then do this one more time and prove them you are the best, and believe me I think you are. I strongly think you are. Your choice. I will support both (the other one is getting pissed and yeall at everyone but it's kinda useless as Core already said) of them as I know how it feels but I suggest the one I explained you. Once more do it, not for people, for you.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

QuoteWhilst I do appreciate the concern and pointing it out, I indeed do not particularly like it when there seems to be somewhat of an demand for justification whilst it truly, imho, doesn't really matter as long as we do install it within quite a timely manner.

Just shy of five months for a bug fix release is not a timely manner.

QuoteAnd which is what you can do as well. You can contribute, you can fork and give back... Whatever you wish.
Or you can be pissed and start shouting about how bad everything is, but that's not really going to help us and nor will it help you; given as you indicate:

Been there, done all of that. Got each of the t-shirts in multiple colours. None of it works.

QuoteYou say you're hurt, and for our part we're getting nothing but negative feedback which isn't exactly cool either...

Of course it's not. But literally nothing else works. I can't motivate you guys into fixing your own ****** with rainbows and unicorns. And I can't motivate you guys into fixing your own ****** with a big stick either. Nor can I fix your ****** because as we've seen, that doesn't work either. What am I supposed to conclude? That your ****** can't be fixed?

QuoteBeing constructive and help out would be more beneficial than shouting and repeating the team would be doing a very bad job.

I tried being constructive. Like everything else it didn't work. You can only help a patient who *wants* to be helped.

I rejoined last autumn specifically because I thought I could make more difference by being involved. But given the pressure I was under to not do what I wanted to do and to do what the team wanted (remember: I didn't actually want to work on 2.1), I came to realise that nothing I said was actually working.

QuoteThat's not nice for the team whom are doing their utmost best to push this software forward and enhance it. (Although, you apparently seem to be disagreeing with that. Which is your right. Doesn't necessarily make it true, though.)

Then, perhaps, their best isn't actually very good, is it?

It does not take 5 months to install a bug fix patch, not even with the problems that were encountered at the time. At *most* it should take an afternoon, even if you had to go and make all the relevant changes (including in the database) by hand. And yet here we are, five months on and the proper fixed version of 2.0.7 is still not installed. I even checked before posting that (because quoting a post with smileys into the full editor when using WYSIWYG doesn't work properly in the first version of 2.0.7)

Am I supposed to tell you that you've done a good job?

Here's something else to ponder. If I hadn't gotten embarrassed at the team last month when I prepared the bulk of 2.0.8, would you have a 2.0.8 to push today? Would someone have spent the time fixing the issues in 2.0.7 if I hadn't?

I know Dragooon fixed that stuff in 2.1 where the code originally came from. Would he have done so if I hadn't pushed for 2.0.8? He probably would, but whether he would have fixed it already is a big question.

This is a huge part of the problem. I cannot trust you guys to get your house in order by evidence of what I see in front of me. I accept the Avast stuff necessarily delayed 2.0.8 in case a legitimate security issue was found but that was weeks ago - and still doesn't change the fact that testing on 2.0.8 could have been done in the interim even with Charter Members. I can't quite believe that no-one tested 2.0.8 search in the month the patch was with you guys.

QuoteI think that deep down inside, you also know that statement is very much incorrect.

No, I don't. That's another problem.

If I thought you people were listening to me and taking on board what I was saying, what I've been saying for months or in some cases years, maybe I wouldn't be quite so much of a doom monger as Kindred has labelled me. Maybe if I thought there was any chance of you getting your house in order I wouldn't be so negative. But NOTHING I have seen leads me to believe that's going to happen. Each day I see more and more evidence to support my position.

Big waste. Such potential. Much sad.

-- Mr. Doom

Ninja ZX-10RR

Too much negative to me as well. Big potential then use it on your own if people can't use it ;) but after you did that come back and show your success against their failure. I'm pretty sure there would be a lot of people listening to you, I will be in the first line. SMF's POV is known while yours is here and there lost in thousands of posts and even other forums (yeah I have read that topic and I know you know what I'm talking about). There are people that wait for YOU to approve a mod instead of smf team because they trust you more, and me too, I think I have proven this many times. Post count doesn't matter but if a guy has 120 times my posts and I have done more than 500 then he definitely cares about this. Maybe more than everyone so I am always reading what you write and what SMF team writes. But like I said in that other topic I will PM you for this because lots of questions regard this stuff but this is not the place to discuss them, but I definitely want to know the "dirty little secrets" behind all of this :P
You know that I admire you, a lot, but please chill this anger will lead you nowhere and I know it personally (remember the forum I talked about? I wanted to be perm-banned from there and guess what? A year later it failed and closed without me)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: