Where to change small picture

Started by Mac2213, June 23, 2014, 10:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mac2213

Hello I was wonder how can I change this picture above search. You see that picture next to Start New Topic. Where I can instead of that put my own if you know what I mean? Thanks

mashby

Welcome to SMF, Mac2213! :)

Would you mind providing a screen shot or something similar indicating exactly what you are referring to? I don't see a small picture next to the New Topic button here.
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Mac2213

I can't post external links of picture in topic I don't know why it's just says that. Thanks

mashby

That is meant to prevent spammers. :)

Can you use the Code button and put your URL in there?
- James M. Barrie

Mac2213

http://i61.tinypic.com/o6wguw.png do you see text G-Unit Forum eh the picture I want to change is next to the that text. thanks

mashby

Excellent. That would be a matter of editing the favicon.ico file in the root folder where you have SMF installed. :)
- James M. Barrie

Mac2213

where I can find that icon themes/deafult or? Thanks

mashby

See the URL of your forum? Replace index.php (and anything after that) and put favicon.ico:
http://yourforumURL.com/favicon.ico

You'll need FTP or File Manager access to overwrite the one that's there now.
- James M. Barrie

Mac2213

I don't understand you where is that picture located themes/deafult or where is it? thanks

mashby

As I typed earlier (twice now), it's not in Themes/default.

It's in the root where you installed SMF. Look for the Themes folder but don't navigate into it. The favicon.ico file will be there.

This might also prove useful:
http://favicon-generator.org/
:)
- James M. Barrie

Mac2213

I find it so what image file is that .png or

mashby

Have a look at the link I provided. It's an ICO file. You can upload any other type of image file and it will generate a ICO file for you. Keep in mind, the dimensions of these is pretty small...16 by 16.
- James M. Barrie

Mac2213

I uploaded that my picture and still is the default favicon it wan't remove? thanks

Kindred

1- you uploaded it to the forum root?
2- you named it favicon.ico?
3- It may take several days to update, depending on your browser.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Mac2213

yes yes and it says that picture is uploaded but still stay that picture deafult it want put main in the root. Thanks

mashby

How about a link to the site where you are putting this? That would allow us to view it freshly, including the favicon.ico file. :)
- James M. Barrie

Mac2213

I put there my image and I refresh that page of root and somehow main isn't there but deafult image are stay. thx

mashby

Quote3- It may take several days to update, depending on your browser.
- James M. Barrie

Mac2213

so why is always stay default picture but main not stay. thanks

mashby

Because favicon.icos tend to stay in your browser cache/session. View the favicon directly in your browser and control F5 it a billion times.
- James M. Barrie

Advertisement: