News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Marking modified topics as new

Started by Bazmax, June 22, 2014, 12:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazmax

I have a number of sticky topics that I regularly update with changed information. 

Is there anyway I can force these topics to show to users as unread in the same way as any new topics do? 

Kindred

Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Bazmax

:(  Oh Kindred,  I really wish this was true, but alas on my boards, v2.07 and later v2.08 it isn't.

Certainly when the sticky topic is first posted it seen by everyone as being new.  But once read it never shows again as new despite being extensively modified and so members who should be reading it simply don't as they are unaware that it has been modified.

kat

What about deleting the post, posting a new one and sticking it?

Bazmax

Thanks K@, I have been doing this but was hoping to find a more quick 'n easy way of addressing the problem as it is a frequent and repetitive task for me.  I'm just lazy I guess.

We have a mark as unread button to reset the read flag for ourselves; it would be nice to have a similar button to reset the read flag for all users.

margarett

I'm also investigating why doesn't it happen. I'm with Kindred... it *should* happen.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Bazmax

margarett

So, looking at it.

I had a sticky topic, no replies. Edited it under courtesy edit time, it wasn't marked unread for my other test user
I edited that topic after courtesy edit time. It wasn't marked unread also.

I edited another old, regular post (last post in topic). Topic was marked unread for my other test user.
I edited another old, regular post (NOT the last post in topic). It was NOT marked unread.

So, this behavior is quite strange...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Kindred

I thought that it might have something to do with the stickiness...

I know that I have been informed of "new" posts on this site when a user edits a previous post.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: