News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Is it possible to forward a PM?

Started by MrMike, June 25, 2014, 07:11:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrMike

As per the subject, is it possible to forward a PM?

I'd like all PMs sent to the admin to be forwarded to another user; is there any way to do this?

I don't see any way to make it happen via global settings or through a user's PM options and I don't see any kind of mod or package that does this. (I do see a mod that allows sending PMs to BCC recipients but nothing that would automatically forward a PM to another user.)

To recap, when someone sends a PM to the admin I'd like to have it auto copied to another (specific) user.

Is this possible?

Burke ♞ Knight

PM's are considered to be private messages between the person sending and the person they are sending to.
What you are asking, is not a feature for just this reason. If I was a member at your site, and found you were forwarding my PM's to you, to another member, you better believe I'd be raising a lot of trouble. Forwarding someone's PM's, without their permission, is a violation of their privacy.

Deaks

Automatically its not possible by default, only way is quote the message and send as a new one.

BK say you have an account called admin thats only used for admin reasons, and people are messaging that account, and you want the messages sent to your second account instead as you dont check you admin account ... their is a use for it.  But I agree it could be used for wrongdoings
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

MrMike

Quote from: Μπράιαν on June 25, 2014, 07:15:39 PMBK say you have an account called admin thats only used for admin reasons, and people are messaging that account, and you want the messages sent to your second account instead as you dont check you admin account ... their is a use for it.

This is *exactly* what I want it for- I have an admin account that's never used, but people still send PM's to the admin.

Burke ♞ Knight

Set the admin account to block all PM's and have it tell them in the msg who to send to, instead.

MrMike

Quote from: BurkeKnight on June 25, 2014, 07:14:25 PMIf I was a member at your site, and found you were forwarding my PM's to you, to another member, you better believe I'd be raising a lot of trouble.

Wouldn't it matter why someone was doing this? As in my case, it's needed because the admin account is never used. In fact, I've set a trigger on it so if anyone ever logs into it I get sent an email alerting me to the intrusion.

Quote from: BurkeKnight on June 25, 2014, 07:14:25 PMForwarding someone's PM's, without their permission, is a violation of their privacy.

I think it depends on what the purpose is. In my case it's actually fulfilling the intended function, which is notifying the actual admin.

MrMike

Quote from: BurkeKnight on June 25, 2014, 07:28:52 PM
Set the admin account to block all PM's and have it tell them in the msg who to send to, instead.

That would work.

I've already blocked the account from receiving PMs; could you please point me to where I can change the message you referred to?

EDIT: are you referring to this line in "PersonalMessage.english.php":

$txt['pm_error_user_cannot_read'] = 'User \'%1$s\' can not receive personal messages.

Burke ♞ Knight

Wait a minute.
If the forum is your own, and you still are using an administrator account, why not just use the main admin account?

As for the msg, that would effect all that have people blocked.
I think there's a way to set personal PM blocked messages, but I think it's a mod someone had a while back.

MrMike

Quote from: BurkeKnight on June 25, 2014, 10:51:08 PM
Wait a minute.
If the forum is your own, and you still are using an administrator account, why not just use the main admin account?

For reasons I can't enumerate here, I do not use the main admin account. It's never used by anyone (including myself). That's why I wanted to forward PMs from it, but blocking users and pointing them to our general contact form is a workable solution.

Quote from: BurkeKnight on June 25, 2014, 10:51:08 PMAs for the msg, that would effect all that have people blocked.

It's okay if everyone sees that message.

I added some text to the message indicating that if they're trying to contact the admin to use the contact form instead (with a link included).

Ninja ZX-10RR

Hm! Can I suggest you this one instead? http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2491

It's SimpleDesk, basically it's a contact form but faraway better than the normal one, much more advanced and you would be able to track each request with a number. The most important thing to you would be that you are able to access it from both your main account and your secondary so it wouldn't matter anymore ;)
With this one you could solve both problems, the one related to messages and the one related to that other account not being used/rarely being used.
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Deaks

Flavio how is that going to help, its abit overkill for what the user needs.
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Ninja ZX-10RR

He wouldn't be having to edit strings and it would be very useful because that mod allows to select who is able to view the tickets and who is not. So he could let both the old account and the new one (and others if he needs to) to see the tickets, so this could solve the problem he asked without having to do more stuff. Additionally he would be able to track every issue or enquiry with a number and this would make things a lot easier as regards storing the stuff ;)
As a last comment I can say that personally I find it much more professional a ticket system like that (also depends on the forum subject) rather than the usual contact form (this mod is also harder to spam than the contact form), but this is just a personal opinion huh! :) Just wanted to be kind purposing other ways of solving it, user's choice in the end as long as he is happy with it and he is able to solve his problem :D
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Lou69

Flavio ... that is way, way overkill for what the OP needs. A mod that is used as a help desk is not what the OP needs. He did not state ( as I read it ) that he is running a help desk and he needs trouble tickets ( a lot of them ) to be rerouted as PMs.

An Auto Responder is what the OP needs. It is the simplest method to accomplish what the OP needs to have done and that is to tell members that he/she 'is out' and they should sent the PM to another account. The very same is accomplished with modern email clients. You send me an email and if I am out of the office you get a instant response back that I am out/vacation/etc. and to contact someone else.

Burke ♞ Knight

Quote from: BurkeKnight on June 25, 2014, 10:51:08 PM
As for the msg, that would effect all that have people blocked.
I think there's a way to set personal PM blocked messages, but I think it's a mod someone had a while back.

http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=3665

Lou69

@BK ... that would work, no doubt and work much better than Simple Desk. The only issue with the warning is that I think every member would see that warning when they used a PM. Even if it were not to the Admin. Members might find that bothersome to read every time they PM'd a non admin member.

Burke ♞ Knight

Could always place this as message:

Please do not PM (Insert the main Admin name here) Instead, please PM (Insert name that is to be PM'ed here).

That little message would not be bad to be seen by all. It would serve to make sure all sees and knows it.

Ninja ZX-10RR

No need to look that "cool", like I said I was just suggesting. That's it.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

MrMike

I thank you all for your suggestions. Some of them would work (sort of) and some seem a bit much for what I want to do.

What I did in the end was set the Admin account to "no PMs", and I edited the line below:

(before)
$txt['pm_error_user_cannot_read'] = 'User \'%1$s\' can not receive personal messages.';

(after)
$txt['pm_error_user_cannot_read'] = 'User \'%1$s\' can not receive personal messages. ' . "\n\n" . '<b>If you are trying to reach the Admin, please use the <a href="http://domain.com/contact.php">Contact Form</a> instead.</b>';

This blocks all PMs to the Admin account and includes a message asking the user to use the contact form.

Thanks again for the suggestions and solutions.

MrMike

The way I did it any user trying to PM someone who has blocked PMs will see the message, and they'll also see a message indicating that if they're trying to reach the Admin, to use the contact form.

Quote from: Lou69 on June 26, 2014, 07:13:07 AM
@BK ... that would work, no doubt and work much better than Simple Desk. The only issue with the warning is that I think every member would see that warning when they used a PM. Even if it were not to the Admin. Members might find that bothersome to read every time they PM'd a non admin member.

Advertisement: