CLOSED: 500 error on smiley upload--- Taking it to my host.

Started by pjh139, June 26, 2014, 08:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjh139

I tried to upload a smiley and I get this every time:

Error 500 - Internal Server Error

An error was encountered while processing your request. Typically this is a temporary condition. Please contact the web site owner for further assistance.

I ran  repair_settings.php
I get the 500 error when I tried again.
I checked the  permissions in CPanel.
They are the same as the old forum.  I can upload smileys to the old SMF forum we are moving from. 

I'm stumped.
What do I check next?  This is a fresh install.
moved on.  Use phpbb now.  Love it.

pjh139

Note: I found this post via google

http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=508172.0

It's the same exact problem.  I never had to FTP up any smiley before.  I simply used the SMF upload built into the program. 

"Upload New Smiley -Where you can upload a new smiley from your local computer by clicking "Browse" and finding the smiley you wish to add on your computer. You can also check "Same image for all sets" if you would like the same smiley to be added to every smiley set on your forum."  at http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Smileys_and_Message_Icons#Add_Smiley

This is what gives me the 500 error.

NOTE: This is a new install of SMF.  It is the newest edition. No other errors on the site.

NOTE: Smileys are up via FTP method but what a pain.  I prefer the method I can't use any more due to the error.

Kindred

Just FYI: "newest edition" is not ever a valid answer.   There never has been nor ever will be a version called "newest". When referencing a version, please make certain to use the actual version number.... since we could release a new version tomorrow, and your post would be incorrect. :)

It sounds like something you need to address with your host...  I suspect that your SMF is trying to add images with a chmod 777 which your host probably does not allow.
There are other possible issues as well, but your host (asuming you have a decent one) should be able to pin down what's causing the 500 error (which, BTW, is internal server error). Then you cna come back here and we can try to figure out how to help you work around it.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

* K@ suspects mod_security and file ownership.

Ask your host to disable mod_security and give you full file ownership.

YOU may not have done anything. But, your host may have upgraded a server and let those switch back to the default.

'course, my suspicions could be somewhat awry...

Kindred

mod_security typically does not trigger 500 errors, K@...   those are typically 403/forbidden
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

kat

Typically, you're right.

I have seen it, though, on a few occasions. :P

pjh139

Quote from: Kindred on June 26, 2014, 10:20:29 AM
Just FYI: "newest edition" is not ever a valid answer.   There never has been nor ever will be a version called "newest". When referencing a version, please make certain to use the actual version number.... since we could release a new version tomorrow, and your post would be incorrect. :)

It sounds like something you need to address with your host...  I suspect that your SMF is trying to add images with a chmod 777 which your host probably does not allow.
There are other possible issues as well, but your host (asuming you have a decent one) should be able to pin down what's causing the 500 error (which, BTW, is internal server error). Then you cna come back here and we can try to figure out how to help you work around it.

Strange  because the other SMF forum lets us do add the images and smiley uploads without a problem and the exact same settings and the same host and the same server.  So how did the host do that with the same software on the same server.  It's a trick I would like to know how to do.

Sorry.  I assumed you understood the version was of the date the post was posted when I said current version.  Sorry you were confused.  To clarify; MY VERSION IS 2.0.8.
Does that help?

I've worked around the bloody thing.   I FTPed my files up and created the smileys that way.  I just would prefer the easy method than the PIA method.

And if Inmotionhosting has to take care of it, please consider this closed.  Thanks much.

Kindred

pjh139,

no need for snide remarks, I thought my request was quite polite.   Support folks on here might read through 400 or more threads in a day... requiring us to to check the date of your post along with the date of the last release -- when you could have just as easily just typed the actual version number -- is not helpful (and if you want help, you should try to be helpful in providing information)

As for the host...   I said that I suspect...   I can't guarantee...   but there is obviously SOME difference in confirguation between your two sites - either in your SMF configuration or in the settings applied to the hosting account
Слaва
Украинi

pjh139

It isn't you. I'm tired and I've held a 2 hour battle with the smileys  I also recreated the whole site in 24 hours.  I apologize.  I'm snapping and I shouldn't be.  If I get the energy down the road I will deal with it but right now I have 5 pages of Thank you totals and post totals to move to the new site because I promised they would keep them and my ISP lost the Internet for 3 hours.

That gives me no right to snap but I tend to get very sarcastic when I'm tired and grumpy.  And going to lose my life because when I was transferring accounts over I named one of our members  Easy instead of her chosen Crazy.  My Main Global Mod just pointed out, I called a 45 year old  woman "Easy"  Then she asked if my insurance was in place. And I had to make that her username.   :o

Kindred

As do we all.   Apology accepted. :)

Why didn't you just copy the entire database from the old site to the new one?
Слaва
Украинi

pjh139

We did.  That's part of the problem. 
I tried to get it via FTP.  I kept getting timed out.
I tried 6 months worth of back ups.  They were all corrupt.
I asked my new host to get the site for me.  It took them a week.  I got a note from them  saying they were very sorry for this delay.  They had to use unusual measures to get the site.

When it was installed, we had these errors all over the place.  Now it wasn't the server at the old host, it was the database.  I tried every repair I could think of and find from inside the program to outside that was offered in CPanel.  It just kept getting worse.   I called my new host.  They tried to repair it.

At this point, I gave up and did a new install.  The old site wasn't usable by anyone and my members were very unhappy.  It was time to cut the losses.   

As for the new install, we are doing great.  The only thing that didn't work  is the smileys.  We can upload pictures of any size, we can  upload files of any size but I can't upload a smiley.  I can FTP the smileys up and put them in that way.

And my wonderful Mods just moved over 10,000 major post in 2 days.  The only thing not on them are the members writing uploads.  I run a private forum for writers.  I just did 7 pages of posts and I'm not done for the day yet.  Now I have to find out why the forum is telling my Local Mods [Forum Mods] they are Moderators [the default]  I labeled it Mod DNU and they are seeing that instead of Forum Mod but I see Forum Mod.   :o

Kindred

wow...   quite the story.

BTW: YOu might be interested in the fanFic mod... :)

Also, eFiction has been taken over by new developers and may soon have a 2.0.x compatible bridge.
Слaва
Украинi

pjh139

I'll take a look at it.
And I suddenly have more smileys.  We lost them all suddenly.  All we had were broken image icons.  I went in. Told it default again [it was set on default].   It added 11 smileys.  I have NO clue. I FTP'd them up but they weren't showing.  Now they are.

If this is the worst of the problem?  I can live with it.  But the members joke I should change the name to Smiley Addicts Anonymous.  The first thing they asked for when they saw the new forum was their smileys.

Deaks

~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

pjh139

OOH Nice.

We have some of the most... well... perverted smileys.   I was bored with the names so I got creative.  The pink one waving a rolling pin is named Drypen [the main Global Mod]  The one petting the sheep and leering is named after another member who flirts with all the women.  We had an argument over one from the original site we came from.  It shows a large smiley blowing a kiss.  We had one member who would post 7 rows of this blanking smiley on her post.  My co-admin wanted it on our site; I didn't want it.  I didn't want any kissing smileys after 7 rows of that crap.   My co-admin, Rotty, insisted.    Instead I put up the one where the one leering smiley goes behind the other and bounces up and down.  titled it "Rotty wanted a kiss"

bdtcomp

I am having the same problem, with my smileys. I changed servers from Windows to Linux. The forum is working, and I thought I had the problems figured out. But I tried to upload a new smiley, and got the same error. Just to be sure will post the message below.

QuoteInternal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at [email protected] to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I can upload ftp to the Smiley directory. The directory is 755 and the smiley images are 644 permissions!

I see this is closed, so if I need to put this on a new topic, I will.

Kindred

1- this is closed and marked as solved...
2- this need to be discussed with your host.
Слaва
Украинi

quercus

Hi everyone.
I am having huge amounts of errors with a new SM forum, to the point where I am considering not bothering with it.
A brand new SM install and any attempts to change board settings or set up new categories creates the same error message seen above.

I was reading this topic to see what the resolution was, but there doesn't appear to be one. So what happened to resolve this?

Kindred

the resolution?

yell at your host, because this is NOT an error or issue in SMF and *IS* definitely an issue with the host.
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

Is this GoDaddy?

I wonder if the patch I suggested a bit back might fix board management here...

Advertisement: