How To Make a Custom Form Accessible Only To Certain Groups

Started by BeastMode, June 29, 2014, 08:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeastMode

Hey everybody,
Is there any way I could make a custom form only accessible to a particular membergroup? Basically, can I change the permissions on this?

I've tried using post moderation/approval (which would fix my problem - I don't want people using custom forms and spamming it or using it incorrectly) but it will not work for me when a custom form is involved whatsoever. I'm unsure what the problem is - I've edited the permissions for the specific board profiles, then made the boards in which the custom form pertains to to be set to the specific board profile for Post Approval..

Thanks!,
BeastMode

Ninja ZX-10RR

Could you explain yourself better? Your explanation is kinda... Messy xD
Can you just tell me what is the purpose of it (not all details but roughly so that we can understand better) and what do you mean by custom form? Just a contact page with restrictions or something like that?
I could suggest many solutions for this... Also another question. Which membergroups do you need to be restricted? Post-based ones or just custom membergroups?
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

BeastMode

Quote from: Flavio93Zena on June 29, 2014, 10:59:31 PM
Could you explain yourself better? Your explanation is kinda... Messy xD
Can you just tell me what is the purpose of it (not all details but roughly so that we can understand better) and what do you mean by custom form? Just a contact page with restrictions or something like that?
I could suggest many solutions for this... Also another question. Which membergroups do you need to be restricted? Post-based ones or just custom membergroups?

1.) As for the explanation: I hold a website for a gaming league in which I use custom forms for members to perform certain tasks easier, such as signing up for free agency. So, in the custom form, they input their information and it comes out into the "Free Agent Sign-Ups" category on my forum. Now, I tried to make the "Free Agent Sign-Ups" section Approval-Only, but it will not work.

2.) It would be custom membergroups. Thanks.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Thank you now I have only one thing to suggest you. SimpleDesk.
This mod is actually my favourite and I installed it myself on my own forum, it can do what you are asking for with some customization. First I link that to you: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2491
What this does is basically creating a ticket system from scratch with email notifications and a lot of features, including the ones you need. If you create a custom department (you will understand after installing it) you can select each role so you can select who will be reading the tickets and also who will be able to send them. My last question about the custom membergroup was vital as the mod allows only to select custom membergroup for this last feature. Give it a try and eventually if you need help post again :) it's not extremely easy I know but it should work, I have seen all the options I told you about a minute ago in my forum. I will be making a custom form dedicated to people applying for a certain charge so it will be similar ;)

P.s. If I don't reply immediately it's because I went to sleep :P it's very late here. But no worries I will reply later anyhow if you need :) and gg ;)
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Deaks

Flavio that is complete overkill for what is being asked.

BeastMode did you make the form yourself?

If so you should add to the start of the code

if($context['group]['id'] == 73)
{
echo'

and at the end

';
}
echo'

Would be able to help better if I could see the code :P

also change 73 to be the group id :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Ninja ZX-10RR

I don't think it's overkill actually. That would be a custom form exactly they way he asked. It just doesn't take 5 minutes to set it up ;)
I can link my own even if mine was meant for very complicated purposes and it's been extremely customized --> http://oi61.tinypic.com/ncd1k7.jpg
That is my ticket form even if it could be way easier than that :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Lou69

Ya know Flavio, if you want to argue with me about something then OK; but to argue with Mnpaiav is just plain foolish. The man knows more about SMF than you, I and a whole lot more people .. all put together.

For someone that has a habit of begging for help for his own site and being impatient and bumping his own requests for help, you really should back off and not second guess or make it a point to argue your 'point' with someone who is far, far more experienced than you.

Deaks

Lou thanks for backing me up, but Flavio is entitled to his opinion BeastMode now has a couple of alternatives :)
~~~~
Former SMF Project Manager
Former SMF Customizer

"For as lang as hunner o us is in life, in nae wey
will we thole the Soothron tae owergang us. In truth it isna for glory, or wealth, or
honours that we fecht, but for freedom alane, that nae honest cheil gies up but wi life
itsel."

Ninja ZX-10RR

O.o it was already a bad day but in no way I want to argue with Runic (not Mnpaiav). I just explained the reasons why I had suggested it.

Also I will shut up and not comment
Quote from: Lou69 on June 30, 2014, 06:39:41 PM
For someone that has a habit of begging for help for his own site and being impatient and bumping his own requests for help, you really should back off and not second guess or make it a point to argue your 'point' with someone who is far, far more experienced than you.
Otherwise I would be extremely unkind, more than you did.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

BeastMode

Quote from: Flavio93Zena on June 30, 2014, 12:01:03 AM
This mod is actually my favourite and I installed it myself on my own forum, it can do what you are asking for with some customization. First I link that to you: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2491
What this does is basically creating a ticket system from scratch with email notifications and a lot of features, including the ones you need. If you create a custom department (you will understand after installing it) you can select each role so you can select who will be reading the tickets and also who will be able to send them. My last question about the custom membergroup was vital as the mod allows only to select custom membergroup for this last feature. Give it a try and eventually if you need help post again :) it's not extremely easy I know but it should work, I have seen all the options I told you about a minute ago in my forum. I will be making a custom form dedicated to people applying for a certain charge so it will be similar ;)

P.s. If I don't reply immediately it's because I went to sleep :P it's very late here. But no worries I will reply later anyhow if you need :) and gg ;)

I tried this, and couldn't specifically work my way around SimpleDesk. So, I will go into as deep of explanation as possible:

I run a gaming league in which members have to sign up for free agency in order to begin playing while the season is going on. The custom form I have in place for that looks like the first picture below, and is used to automatically re-arrange and post the player's responses to the custom form in the "Free Agency Sign-Ups" section of this specific gaming forum:

After they input the information there, it'll make a new thread in the "Free Agency Sign-Ups" board.
The problem: I tried to use post moderation/approval, and I've done everything correctly, but it surprisingly is still not allowing me to approve thread creations prior to it being actually posted when it pertains to custom forms. I needed post moderation because I wanted to see if the free agency sign-ups were legitimate prior to them being created.

My other option was limiting it to certain membergroups, but that has been a complete failure as well, as I want everyone to be able to SEE the free agent sign-ups, but not everyone to CREATE free agent sign-ups. Thanks for reading all of this, hopefully this clears it up just a bit.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Hmm then SimpleDesk *could* really be the thing you are looking for to me.
If people create a ticket and send it to you and then you will have to approve it, would it be fine? I could actually help you to set up all of that but guiding all the way through it would take a lot of posts...
Generally you could just add a SimpleDesk department and then assign roles to it. As you said that people being able to access it will not be based on posts it should be working fine, you just need a bit of custom edits to it. If you want you can send me a PM and I can try to do that for you, I wouldn't even need an admin account, you would be creating a membergroup for me and assign me as admin for SimpleDesk only :) I wouldn't be able to see anything but SimpleDesk stuff. If you want to go that way I would be glad to help you because explaining all the details of it would be very hard, it took me a week or so to figure out how that mod really works.
Ah and whether you can trust me or not it's up to you but I can link you this topic that talks for me http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=523697.0 :)
Anyway the "shorter" version would be to create a new department and 2 roles for it, the first one for the people that will be doing approvals, and the second for the users you want to be able to submit tickets (not postcount membergroups), then from SimpleDesk you could actually make the tickets public and creating topics for them or keeping them private as you wish.
You will also need to create some custom fields for the tickets (easy step, just select "select from radio buttons" in "Field Type") so that's why I was saying that if you can do it on your own it's fine but I think it would be faraway faster if I did that as I use it everyday :)
P.s. I might be absent today (01/07/2014) local time (GMT+1). So no worries if I reply later.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Illori

since this is a question about a mod, you should really be posting in the mods support thread so the author can help you.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Not really as SimpleDesk has its support topic locked (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=375134.0) and you would need to register at SimpleDesk.net where there is a whole forum to support this mod but it's almost desert so that's why I am offering to help, coz I know how it works :)
Also the asker is trying to evaluate many options not just mine ;)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Illori

the op is asking about the custom form mod which has its own support thread.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Hmm no he is not directly asking for the Custom Form mod. He is trying to find a way to do it but he needs something very different, he is trying multiple solutions :)
Quote from: BeastMode on June 29, 2014, 08:12:48 PM
Hey everybody,
Is there any way I could make a custom form only accessible to a particular membergroup? Basically, can I change the permissions on this?
No he can't on that mod so it will not work, it would require a major overhaul of the code and I don't think the mod author will do that.

I've tried using post moderation/approval (which would fix my problem - I don't want people using custom forms and spamming it or using it incorrectly) but it will not work for me when a custom form is involved whatsoever. I'm unsure what the problem is - I've edited the permissions for the specific board profiles, then made the boards in which the custom form pertains to to be set to the specific board profile for Post Approval..
More tries :)

Quote from: BeastMode on June 30, 2014, 10:57:15 PM
Quote from: Flavio93Zena on June 30, 2014, 12:01:03 AM

I tried this, and couldn't specifically work my way around SimpleDesk. So, I will go into as deep of explanation as possible:

I run a gaming league in which members have to sign up for free agency in order to begin playing while the season is going on. The custom form I have in place for that looks like the first picture below, and is used to automatically re-arrange and post the player's responses to the custom form in the "Free Agency Sign-Ups" section of this specific gaming forum:

After they input the information there, it'll make a new thread in the "Free Agency Sign-Ups" board.
The problem: I tried to use post moderation/approval, and I've done everything correctly, but it surprisingly is still not allowing me to approve thread creations prior to it being actually posted when it pertains to custom forms. I needed post moderation because I wanted to see if the free agency sign-ups were legitimate prior to them being created.

My other option was limiting it to certain membergroups, but that has been a complete failure as well, as I want everyone to be able to SEE the free agent sign-ups, but not everyone to CREATE free agent sign-ups. Thanks for reading all of this, hopefully this clears it up just a bit.
Many more tries :)

So that's why I'm saying he is looking for something that will allow him to do it but it's not really a custom form, the closest thing he could use is SimpleDesk, if customized correctly (I would do it myself if I was him). :) I will just wait for him to post again or either PM me with a SimpleDesk admin account on his forum so that I can help him quicker :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Illori

to me that looks exactly like what the custom form mod does, and therefore he should be posting in the mods support thread.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Flavio93Zena on July 01, 2014, 06:31:57 PM
Hey everybody,
No he can't on that mod so it will not work, it would require a major overhaul of the code and I don't think the mod author will do that.

While SimpleDesk *could* be permission-based if set up the way I tried to explain :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

BeastMode

Quote from: Flavio93Zena on July 01, 2014, 12:09:03 AM
Hmm then SimpleDesk *could* really be the thing you are looking for to me.
If people create a ticket and send it to you and then you will have to approve it, would it be fine? I could actually help you to set up all of that but guiding all the way through it would take a lot of posts...
Generally you could just add a SimpleDesk department and then assign roles to it. As you said that people being able to access it will not be based on posts it should be working fine, you just need a bit of custom edits to it. If you want you can send me a PM and I can try to do that for you, I wouldn't even need an admin account, you would be creating a membergroup for me and assign me as admin for SimpleDesk only :) I wouldn't be able to see anything but SimpleDesk stuff. If you want to go that way I would be glad to help you because explaining all the details of it would be very hard, it took me a week or so to figure out how that mod really works.
Ah and whether you can trust me or not it's up to you but I can link you this topic that talks for me http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=523697.0 :)
Anyway the "shorter" version would be to create a new department and 2 roles for it, the first one for the people that will be doing approvals, and the second for the users you want to be able to submit tickets (not postcount membergroups), then from SimpleDesk you could actually make the tickets public and creating topics for them or keeping them private as you wish.
You will also need to create some custom fields for the tickets (easy step, just select "select from radio buttons" in "Field Type") so that's why I was saying that if you can do it on your own it's fine but I think it would be faraway faster if I did that as I use it everyday :)
P.s. I might be absent today (01/07/2014) local time (GMT+1). So no worries if I reply later.

You got me. I totally trust you - I'll PM you in like 30 minutes with the link to my website. Thanks so much for all the help.

Ninja ZX-10RR

The ticket system has been set up correctly in the way I have attached, :) just need to fix a little database collation problem caused by a SMF package manager bug not forcing collation. :/

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: