News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

"New" link doesn't open right

Started by Rayvon, July 03, 2014, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayvon

So recently I've had some server issues with GoDaddy  :'( .. In the process of trying to get everything back up in full working fashion.

I *think* (fingers crossed) I've got everything all worked out except for one issue.

When I bring up the Unread Posts page, and click on the "New" link

and it opens up the thread - it always opens to the top of the thread and not the actual new message .. I've gone through all my mods, and everything I can think .. I'm not sure what I'm missing ..

I am updated to 2.0.8 and the maintenance reports all come back clean as well ..

Please help??

mashby

Sorry to read this...what were the server issues you were having? What mods do you have installed?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Rayvon

The server deleted a bunch of forum phps .. And the permissions got changed on all the files/folders (I found a thread from 2007 here on simplemachines.org of this as well; changed from 755/644 to 705/604 which I've since restored to 755/644) .. The support guy I had on the phone wrote it off as their server's malware protection and didn't look further into it .. I felt like he was kinda talking to me like the forum was just newly installed rather than that it was running smoothly until only last week when this happened .. Took a bit of playing to even get the 2.0.8 upgrade to go because every time I upload files it disappears immediately after showing a successful upload message (part of the malware thing he suggested) so I couldn't get the 2.0.7 stable without effort to take it (I had to keep restoring the 2.0.7 source\post.php from a godaddy server image from the day prior every time I tried to update it via ftp/godaddy file manager/dreamweaver) .. It still deletes files when I try to overwrite/upload anywhere in the SMF folder although now editing the existing files seems to allow them to be uploaded when the edit is saved [I use the remote server option, right click the file and 'open' - do the edits and it uploads when I save] ..

I have the following mods installed:

I checked their installs by choosing the Uninstall link and viewing the file actions it would take in the tests to see what it would be removing [if I completed the uninstall process] from the php files and making sure the would-be-removed lines exist in the file ..

Rayvon

Oh - I was wrong about that being the last issue  >:(

Quick Reply doesn't work in several areas either .. It's there and active, but when actually trying to use it it does nothing .. Literally .. Can type in the Quick Reply box and then click Reply, and nothing .. Reply button doesn't react ... It's just not everywhere ..

mashby

This is certainly seeming to be more of a database issue. Your list of mods doesn't look like it would affect anything negatively (which I would hope no mod would ever do :)). Does your error log in SMF suggest anything out of the ordinary?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Rayvon

I'm seeing some references still lingering from the karma system I recently removed .. And earlier-in-the-day ENotify errors, which I removed ENotify just this afternoon shortly before posting this thread .. The Enotify references seem to link back to the karma system ..

Rayvon

I've cleaned up the lingering karma references, no new errors showing up in the logs in the last 15 minutes (forum is live and active) .. But the above issues still exist ..

Edit: I went back in and re-enabled evaluation of templates then clicked through the forums to generate actions; checked the logs and had two pop up ..

"File: /home/content/55/8677755/html/smf/Themes/default/languages/SPortalHelp.english.php (generic_menu_sidebar_above sub template - eval?)
Line: 327"

But that's only a 174 line file .. And also

"File: /home/content/55/8677755/html/smf/Themes/default/languages/cls.english.php (notification sub template - eval?)
Line: 1634"

And that's only a 9 line file ..

second edit:
(I hate double posts, and have already done so - don't wanna triple or more)

Looking through source for 'generic_menu_sidebar_above' takes me into Themes\default\GenericMenu.template.php and line 327 is

<a class="firstlevel" href="', isset($tab['url']) ? $tab['url'] : $menu_context['base_url'] . ';area=' . $menu_context['current_area'] . ';sa=' . $sa, $menu_context['extra_parameters'], isset($tab['add_params']) ? $tab['add_params'] : '', '"><span class="firstlevel">', $tab['label'], '</span></a>

I see no syntax errors in here, not sure what could be wrong with this line ..

Trying to find the second one is a lot more time consuming, there's far too many 'notification' references to search though ..

Rayvon

I still haven't been able to resolve this anchor issue, so I've opted to reinstall/rebuild my forum over the existing database instead.

I need to do this with as little disruption and as quickly as possible; I think I have my attack plan worked out .. I just hope to have a fresh mind pick it so I can be sure it will give me exactly what I want in the end-game ..

Before starting anything, I have done a complete backup via FTP and have also done database backups through my ACP ... Of course ;)

---

* I have created a folder on my server called 'smf2' next to my live forum in the 'smf' folder.

* In 'smf2' I have copied in the contents of Full Install of the 2.0.8 package
** I copied over the individual package files I wanted into the 'smf2\packages' folder; as well as my two custom themes into the 'smf2\themes' folder and smileys into 'smf2\smileys'

* I have come here and started typing this post  8)

Now from here, what I think I am to do:

* Rename 'smf' to anything else and then rename 'smf2' to 'smf' - then run the install.php and input the database settings as I read them out of the old settings.php file
** I hope this means my posts/users will remain intact

** I have a question at this point, will those packages I copied into the packages folder display and offer me the install option. Or will I need to go through the long route of re-finding them from the Simple Machines Third-party Mod Site on the 'Download Packages' tab in Package Manager? 

* The smiley's and themes I can figure out, and just completely reinstall/re-create/configure if need-be.

Kindred

No.
No.
No.

Just read the FAQ on how to upload a clean set of forum files.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Rayvon

Well - you could at least provide a link if you want to be helpful.

A series of no's and a 'rtfm' is kinda useless, Mr Project Manager.

Arantor

Well, he's saying no because there's nothing right about that. 1) For a clean set of files, don't use the install package, use the upgrade package (like the manual tells you), 2) replace the files on the server, not create a new folder, 3) running the installer like that will potentially nuke your existing data...

In other words, read the manual because it tells you how to do it properly rather than second-guessing and potentially losing everything on your site.

Rayvon

A series of no's and a 'rtfm' is kinda useless, Mr Project Manager from anyone.

I have looked through, and I just clicked through again looking ... I do not see a manual linked .. I do not see it on the downloads .. I do not see it SMF I am ..

If you're gonna give me a repeat of a 'rtfm' post, at least give an m to r ...

Arantor

Look at the top of the page, where it says 'online manual'. One of the items on the first page you come to is 'How to upload a fresh set of files'.

In order to save you a whole mouse click and point you straight at http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/How_to_upload_a_fresh_set_of_files

Remember, you're posting here pretty much for the first time. We've been answering the same questions for years and years and years and having to repeat ourselves because people don't look around first gets extremely tiring.

Kindred

Additionally, I post from a phone frequently these days, so, pasting a link is more difficult...   Usually, telling someone WHERE to look should be sufficient, given some effort to actually do the looking.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Rayvon

My problem of the server deleting files when I try to overwrite them in the current SMF folder has not ended.

I can not overwrite the contents of the folder with the upgrade and must use a new folder [and so logically, a new package since I can't 'upgrade' what doesn't exist].

If I overwrite, I have to go back into the images to restore files from a previous day. Unfortunately, even trying to restore back to two days before the issues started (that led to my OP), the problem wasn't able to be resolved.

Kindred

1- you apparently have major issues with your host which should really be resolved first.
2- if you can not "overwrite" you can always just DELETE the old directories and/or files and then load fresh copies as instructed.

The way you are proposing is long, convoluted and will cause issues.
Слaва
Украинi

Rayvon

Ok - so delete the files in the old directory, or use a new directory with the same name ... Same end-game ... New contents in the folder titled 'smf' ... What's the difference? I have the files in a folder, I need to make the switch over since I can't work within the existing 'smf' folder ...

I just need to make sure the old database is hooked to the new fileset ..

And yes I know there's a larger issue ... As I said in the thread already, thanks for reading it in full before being a jackass to me by the way, they already resigned to just writing it off as malware protection and won't address it further ...  I know I'm in a rough spot, and I know that I have to be a little more creative in my resolution ... I've got nearly 20 years of coding/web experience, I'm not a complete noob ..  I'm already making plans to migrate off godaddy once this package expires .. they've had their last chance already .. been weeks I've been trying to resolve all sides of this .. I almost have no hair left ..

Kindred

well, you delete the files... WITH THE EXCEPTION of Settings.php and Settings_bak.php

that is the difference.

The way you are proposing to do it - you will have to recreate the forum, change the database settings, change the forum urls and paths for the system and potentially for mods...   and basically is that many more steps to screw up.

The way I am telling you to do it, you don't have to change anything. You load a fresh set of files, but keep the old configuration...  and you are reinstalled with a clean copy of code.
Слaва
Украинi

Rayvon

Why would i have to change any urls? The folder name remains the same in what i posted ..

You're suggesting exactly what i said .. a fresh set of files in a new folder titled 'smf' in place of the current folder titled 'smf' [which would be renamed so the folder with the new filed can take this folder name] using the details from the settings.php file - except that you're telling me to just keep the same settings files [which comes back to why i need a new folder again since i can't upload or overwrite to the current folder named 'smf' as i discovered over the past couple weeks trying the upgrade package] ..

Advertisement: