News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

"New" link doesn't open right

Started by Rayvon, July 03, 2014, 04:26:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Then I'd be focusing on the real problem: why you can't overwrite files in the first place.

Rayvon

Quote from: ‽ on July 16, 2014, 06:28:05 PM
Then I'd be focusing on the real problem: why you can't overwrite files in the first place.

Well gee, maybe that should have been the first thing I did ...

Quote from: rayvon on July 16, 2014, 01:53:25 PM
And yes I know there's a larger issue ... As I said in the thread already, they already resigned to just writing it off as malware protection and won't address it further ... ..  I'm already making plans to migrate off godaddy once this package expires .. they've had their last chance already .. been weeks I've been trying to resolve all sides of this .. I almost have no hair left ..

I'm past that and just trying to get by without losing my users/posts till i grt off their server and leave that issue behind ...

Kindred

Do what you want, since you obviously know better than the experts and don't actually want advice.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Rayvon

Well, we'll see when an expert comes along to give me some help ...

Illori

Quote from: rayvon on July 17, 2014, 01:25:05 AM

several experts have come along already to help you...

Arantor

Quote from: rayvon on July 17, 2014, 01:25:05 AM

Given that you've had a former member of the SMF dev team and considered to be one of the foremost experts in SMF come by, there aren't many higher experts that can be called upon, but you know best.

Rayvon

Quote from: rayvon on July 03, 2014, 05:27:00 PM
The server deleted a bunch of forum phps .. And the permissions got changed on all the files/folders (I found a thread from 2007 here on simplemachines.org of this as well; changed from 755/644 to 705/604 which I've since restored to 755/644) .. The support guy I had on the phone wrote it off as their server's malware protection and didn't look further into it .. I felt like he was kinda talking to me like the forum was just newly installed rather than that it was running smoothly until only last week when this happened .. Took a bit of playing to even get the 2.0.8 upgrade to go because every time I upload files it disappears immediately after showing a successful upload message (part of the malware thing he suggested) so I couldn't get the 2.0.7 stable without effort to take it (I had to keep restoring the 2.0.7 source\post.php from a godaddy server image from the day prior every time I tried to update it via ftp/godaddy file manager/dreamweaver) .. It still deletes files when I try to overwrite/upload anywhere in the SMF folder although now editing the existing files seems to allow them to be uploaded when the edit is saved [I use the remote server option, right click the file and 'open' - do the edits and it uploads when I save] ..
Quote from: rayvon on July 15, 2014, 07:43:04 PM
I still haven't been able to resolve this anchor issue, so I've opted to reinstall/rebuild my forum over the existing database instead.

I need to do this with as little disruption and as quickly as possible; I think I have my attack plan worked out .. I just hope to have a fresh mind pick it so I can be sure it will give me exactly what I want in the end-game ..

Before starting anything, I have done a complete backup via FTP and have also done database backups through my ACP ... Of course ;)

---

* I have created a folder on my server called 'smf2' next to my live forum in the 'smf' folder.

* In 'smf2' I have copied in the contents of Full Install of the 2.0.8 package
** I copied over the individual package files I wanted into the 'smf2\packages' folder; as well as my two custom themes into the 'smf2\themes' folder and smileys into 'smf2\smileys'

* I have come here and started typing this post  8)

Now from here, what I think I am to do:

* Rename 'smf' to anything else and then rename 'smf2' to 'smf' - then run the install.php and input the database settings as I read them out of the old settings.php file
** I hope this means my posts/users will remain intact

** I have a question at this point, will those packages I copied into the packages folder display and offer me the install option. Or will I need to go through the long route of re-finding them from the Simple Machines Third-party Mod Site on the 'Download Packages' tab in Package Manager? 

* The smiley's and themes I can figure out, and just completely reinstall/re-create/configure if need-be.

See, in this post here - I say rename 'smf2' to 'smf' which means that when I started all this my working directory was '..\SMF\' in which I can not work and my final working directory when I'm done will be the fresh folder with the exact same working name '..\SMF\' which would be the fresh set of files taking the same working file directory (which is why I get further confused further down when you say I'll have to change URLs and etc) ... Reinstalling the mods is child's play, if I have to do that I am ok with that .. All that is important is saving my users/posts ...

Quote from: Kindred on July 15, 2014, 09:00:46 PM
No.
No.
No.

Just read the FAQ on how to upload a clean set of forum files.
Quote from: rayvon on July 16, 2014, 12:28:10 PM
My problem of the server deleting files when I try to overwrite them in the current SMF folder has not ended.

I can not overwrite the contents of the folder with the upgrade and must use a new folder [and so logically, a new package since I can't 'upgrade' what doesn't exist].

If I overwrite, I have to go back into the images to restore files from a previous day. Unfortunately, even trying to restore back to two days before the issues started (that led to my OP), the problem wasn't able to be resolved.
Ok - so delete the files in the old directory, or use a new directory with the same name ... Same end-game ... New contents in the folder titled 'smf' ... What's the difference? I have the files in a folder, I need to make the switch over since I can't work within the existing 'smf' folder ...

I just need to make sure the old database is hooked to the new fileset ..

And yes I know there's a larger issue ... As I said in the thread already, thanks for reading it in full before being a jackass to me by the way, they already resigned to just writing it off as malware protection and won't address it further ...  I know I'm in a rough spot, and I know that I have to be a little more creative in my resolution ... I've got nearly 20 years of coding/web experience, I'm not a complete noob ..  I'm already making plans to migrate off godaddy once this package expires .. they've had their last chance already .. been weeks I've been trying to resolve all sides of this .. I almost have no hair left ..

Quote from: Kindred on July 16, 2014, 02:14:12 PM
[color=ff0000]well, you delete the files... WITH THE EXCEPTION of Settings.php and Settings_bak.php[/color]

that is the difference.

The way you are proposing to do it - you will have to recreate the forum, change the database settings, change the forum urls and paths for the system and potentially for mods...   and basically is that many more steps to screw up.

The way I am telling you to do it, you don't have to change anything. You load a fresh set of files, but keep the old configuration...  and you are reinstalled with a clean copy of code.
So again, you're telling me to use the information from settings.php (except you're telling me to use the actual file rather than just the settings details) -- but you're telling me to do so and still trying to work around the old 'SMF' folder that I have already said multiple times I can not work in - I must use a different folder (of which I am giving the same name - thus, no changes to URLs or database or anything) ..

Quote from: rayvon on July 16, 2014, 06:26:24 PM
[color]Why would i have to change any urls? The folder name remains the same in what i posted ..

You're suggesting exactly what i said .. a fresh set of files in a new folder titled 'smf' in place of the current folder titled 'smf' [which would be renamed so the folder with the new filed can take this folder name] using the details from the settings.php file - except that you're telling me to just keep the same settings files [which comes back to why i need a new folder again since i can't upload or overwrite to the current folder named 'smf' as i discovered over the past couple weeks trying the upgrade package] ..[/color]

I've been working on this for weeks with no help and only walls and refusal to help (godaddy writing off the malware issue - which makes zero sense if all those files are perfectly fine in another folder sitting parallel to the folder that apparently is being ransacked by the malware protection -- pretty inconsistent malware protection I'd say) while I have my users on my ass derailing every thread on the forum to complain about this 'New' anchor problem .. I have gone through literally everything my ~20 years of coding has at my fingertips on my own .. No I do not know it all, but I am a bit further ahead than you guys keep treating me like I am. Your arrogance is distracting and further frustrating for me on this side of the fence. I don't give a ****** how many times you've heard a question, that's PART OF BEING SUPPORT. If you can't handle hearing the same question and you're gonna treat the 100th or the 1000th or the 100000th person rudely for asking something the 1st or 10th or 20th person asked than you're probably doing the wrong thing. Stay off the support sites and let those who can and will help us with a little more curteousy help. Mashby, the first expert to come offer help at the beginning of the thread, at least read everything I had to say before saying anything and it showed in his/her posting.

Now as I said, I'm away of not being able to work with the current folder structure (for the reasons in blue above) .. I must use a new folder .. You and I are both talking about putting fresh files in a folder - except you are telling me to delete the contents of the current folder minus the settings.php/BAK where I am talking about the fresh set of files in a different file to be renamed to 'SMF' (so, the same outcome but a slightly different path to the outcome since I can not work in that existing 'SMF' folder) and I was talking about using the settings as I read them from settings.php where, again, you're saying to use the actual file. You're telling me I am completely wrong, but you're basically telling me the exact thing I was talking about doing - except that in my explanation I am thinking about the fact that I can not use that existing 'SMF' folder while you're trying to tell me to use it.

So - color me confused; and paint me completely frustrated.

Arantor

Except that what you're trying to do isn't going to work the way you think it is.

You need to get GoDaddy to release the restriction on that folder.

Rayvon

Quote from: ‽ on July 17, 2014, 09:42:25 AM
Except that what you're trying to do isn't going to work the way you think it is.

Would you please just stop posting. Thanks.  >:(

THEY WILL NOT DO ANYTHING WITH THAT FOLDER THEY WILL NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THAT FOLDER THEY WILL ONLY BLAME MALWARE PROTECTION FOR THAT FOLDER ISSUE AND I DO NOT KNOW HOW MANY MORE WAYS I CAN EXPLAIN THAT.

Arantor

Except that what you're trying to do still isn't going to actually work properly. Even if you do create the parallel install, and then update both the files and the database to point to the new installation location, you still have the fact that you then have to tell all your users that everything's moved in the first place - since you won't be able to put it into the original folder in the first place, meaning that you still don't actually solve your original problem.

* ‽ is only formerly of the dev team, knows nothing at all about how any of this stuff works.

Rayvon

Quote from: ‽ on July 17, 2014, 09:49:43 AM
Except that what you're trying to do still isn't going to actually work properly. Even if you do create the parallel install, and then update both the files and the database to point to the new installation location, you still have the fact that you then have to tell all your users that everything's moved in the first place - since you won't be able to put it into the original folder in the first place, meaning that you still don't actually solve your original problem.

* ‽ is only formerly of the dev team, knows nothing at all about how any of this stuff works.

You do understand how renaming folders works though, right?

..\SMF      <- We start here, red is the folder I can not work with for the supposed malware issue that godaddy blames
..\SMF2   <- folder sitting next SMF, has the fresh set of files - just need to understand clearly the part Kindred and I are back and forth on
..\SMF *rename* ..\SMF35236326
..\SMF2 *rename* ..\SMF

So again, I ask because this is where you both keep losing me, the folder name is the same. Why do I have to re-point anything anywhere?

The fresh set of files and new folder are now blue 'SMF' because I can not do the copy/paste or delete/upload or anything at all in the red 'SMF' .. It's the exact same outcome .. Just needs the settings.php part figured out ....

Arantor

Except if you have the problems you claim to have, renaming wouldn't work anyway.

Rayvon

I have already done the folder swap successfully and switched back while testing the waters on the change before making the first post yesterday .. I already know I can rename the folder out .. I just need to make sure to have the rest of the details right before I try and keep it live ..

Arantor

In which case, what's the problem? Do the switch, drop the Settings files and the other folders into the new folder, new set of Sources and Themes, job done. It's ultimately the same thing we've been telling you to do, just with additional complication added by a measure we're convinced isn't necessary because this is not a claim we have heard from GoDaddy before.

Rayvon

Ok so now we're back full circle to my post yesterday .......................

Where I was asking for help to make sure I have those details right to make sure it's going to work .... Where instead I got lambasted ...

I have never seen an issue like this before either and I could not find anything about it in google searches - this is why I deduced the only possible option is to eliminate the folder (and eventually godaddy when package expires) and work in a 'new' folder as I had originally suggested ....

Arantor

As opposed to talking to GoDaddy support about it like we suggested?

Rayvon

The support guy I had on the phone wrote it off as their server's malware protection and didn't look further into it .. Took a bit of playing to even get the 2.0.8 upgrade to go because every time I upload files it disappears immediately after showing a successful upload message (part of the malware thing he suggested) so I couldn't get the 2.0.7 stable without effort to take it (I had to keep restoring the 2.0.7 source\post.php from a godaddy server image from the day prior every time I tried to update it via ftp/godaddy file manager/dreamweaver) .. It still deletes files when I try to overwrite/upload anywhere in the SMF folder although now editing the existing files seems to allow them to be uploaded when the edit is saved [I use the remote server option, right click the file and 'open' - do the edits and it uploads when I save] ..

And yes I know there's a larger issue ... As I said in the thread already, thanks for reading it in full before being a jackass to me by the way, they already resigned to just writing it off as malware protection [size=18]and won't address it further[/size] ...  I know I'm in a rough spot, and I know that I have to be a little more creative in my resolution ... I've got nearly 20 years of coding/web experience, I'm not a complete noob ..  I'm already making plans to migrate off godaddy once this package expires .. they've had their last chance already .. been weeks I've been trying to resolve all sides of this .. I almost have no hair left ..

Quote from: rayvon on July 16, 2014, 07:15:15 PM
Quote from: ‽ on July 16, 2014, 06:28:05 PM

Well gee, maybe that should have been the first thing I did ...

And yes I know there's a larger issue ... As I said in the thread already, they already resigned to just writing it off as malware protection and won't address it further ... ..  I'm already making plans to migrate off godaddy once this package expires .. they've had their last chance already .. been weeks I've been trying to resolve all sides of this .. I almost have no hair left ..

I'm past that and just trying to get by without losing my users/posts till i grt off their server and leave that issue behind ...

Quote from: rayvon on July 17, 2014, 09:39:23 AM
The server deleted a bunch of forum phps .. And the permissions got changed on all the files/folders (I found a thread from 2007 here on simplemachines.org of this as well; changed from 755/644 to 705/604 which I've since restored to 755/644) .. The support guy I had on the phone wrote it off as their server's malware protection and didn't look further into it .. I felt like he was kinda talking to me like the forum was just newly installed rather than that it was running smoothly until only last week when this happened .. Took a bit of playing to even get the 2.0.8 upgrade to go because every time I upload files it disappears immediately after showing a successful upload message (part of the malware thing he suggested) so I couldn't get the 2.0.7 stable without effort to take it (I had to keep restoring the 2.0.7 source\post.php from a godaddy server image from the day prior every time I tried to update it via ftp/godaddy file manager/dreamweaver) .. It still deletes files when I try to overwrite/upload anywhere in the SMF folder although now editing the existing files seems to allow them to be uploaded when the edit is saved [I use the remote server option, right click the file and 'open' - do the edits and it uploads when I save] ..
Quote from: rayvon on July 15, 2014, 07:43:04 PM
I still haven't been able to resolve this anchor issue, so I've opted to reinstall/rebuild my forum over the existing database instead.

I need to do this with as little disruption and as quickly as possible; I think I have my attack plan worked out .. I just hope to have a fresh mind pick it so I can be sure it will give me exactly what I want in the end-game ..

Before starting anything, I have done a complete backup via FTP and have also done database backups through my ACP ... Of course ;)

---

* I have created a folder on my server called 'smf2' next to my live forum in the 'smf' folder.

* In 'smf2' I have copied in the contents of Full Install of the 2.0.8 package
** I copied over the individual package files I wanted into the 'smf2\packages' folder; as well as my two custom themes into the 'smf2\themes' folder and smileys into 'smf2\smileys'

* I have come here and started typing this post  8)

Now from here, what I think I am to do:

* Rename 'smf' to anything else and then rename 'smf2' to 'smf' - then run the install.php and input the database settings as I read them out of the old settings.php file
** I hope this means my posts/users will remain intact

** I have a question at this point, will those packages I copied into the packages folder display and offer me the install option. Or will I need to go through the long route of re-finding them from the Simple Machines Third-party Mod Site on the 'Download Packages' tab in Package Manager? 

* The smiley's and themes I can figure out, and just completely reinstall/re-create/configure if need-be.

See, in this post here - I say rename 'smf2' to 'smf' which means that when I started all this my working directory was '..\SMF\' in which I can not work and my final working directory when I'm done will be the fresh folder with the exact same working name '..\SMF\' which would be the fresh set of files taking the same working file directory (which is why I get further confused further down when you say I'll have to change URLs and etc) ... Reinstalling the mods is child's play, if I have to do that I am ok with that .. All that is important is saving my users/posts ...

Quote from: Kindred on July 15, 2014, 09:00:46 PM
No.
No.
No.

Just read the FAQ on how to upload a clean set of forum files.
Quote from: rayvon on July 16, 2014, 12:28:10 PM
My problem of the server deleting files when I try to overwrite them in the current SMF folder has not ended.

I can not overwrite the contents of the folder with the upgrade and must use a new folder [and so logically, a new package since I can't 'upgrade' what doesn't exist].

If I overwrite, I have to go back into the images to restore files from a previous day. Unfortunately, even trying to restore back to two days before the issues started (that led to my OP), the problem wasn't able to be resolved.
Ok - so delete the files in the old directory, or use a new directory with the same name ... Same end-game ... New contents in the folder titled 'smf' ... What's the difference? I have the files in a folder, I need to make the switch over since I can't work within the existing 'smf' folder ...

I just need to make sure the old database is hooked to the new fileset ..

And yes I know there's a larger issue ... As I said in the thread already, thanks for reading it in full before being a jackass to me by the way, they already resigned to just writing it off as malware protection and won't address it further ...  I know I'm in a rough spot, and I know that I have to be a little more creative in my resolution ... I've got nearly 20 years of coding/web experience, I'm not a complete noob ..  I'm already making plans to migrate off godaddy once this package expires .. they've had their last chance already .. been weeks I've been trying to resolve all sides of this .. I almost have no hair left ..

Quote from: Kindred on July 16, 2014, 02:14:12 PM
[color=ff0000]well, you delete the files... WITH THE EXCEPTION of Settings.php and Settings_bak.php[/color]

that is the difference.

The way you are proposing to do it - you will have to recreate the forum, change the database settings, change the forum urls and paths for the system and potentially for mods...   and basically is that many more steps to screw up.

The way I am telling you to do it, you don't have to change anything. You load a fresh set of files, but keep the old configuration...  and you are reinstalled with a clean copy of code.
So again, you're telling me to use the information from settings.php (except you're telling me to use the actual file rather than just the settings details) -- but you're telling me to do so and still trying to work around the old 'SMF' folder that I have already said multiple times I can not work in - I must use a different folder (of which I am giving the same name - thus, no changes to URLs or database or anything) ..

Quote from: rayvon on July 16, 2014, 06:26:24 PM
[color]Why would i have to change any urls? The folder name remains the same in what i posted ..

You're suggesting exactly what i said .. a fresh set of files in a new folder titled 'smf' in place of the current folder titled 'smf' [which would be renamed so the folder with the new filed can take this folder name] using the details from the settings.php file - except that you're telling me to just keep the same settings files [which comes back to why i need a new folder again since i can't upload or overwrite to the current folder named 'smf' as i discovered over the past couple weeks trying the upgrade package] ..[/color]

I've been working on this for weeks with no help and only walls and refusal to help (godaddy writing off the malware issue - which makes zero sense if all those files are perfectly fine in another folder sitting parallel to the folder that apparently is being ransacked by the malware protection -- pretty inconsistent malware protection I'd say) while I have my users on my ass derailing every thread on the forum to complain about this 'New' anchor problem .. I have gone through literally everything my ~20 years of coding has at my fingertips on my own .. No I do not know it all, but I am a bit further ahead than you guys keep treating me like I am. Your arrogance is distracting and further frustrating for me on this side of the fence. I don't give a ****** how many times you've heard a question, that's PART OF BEING SUPPORT. If you can't handle hearing the same question and you're gonna treat the 100th or the 1000th or the 100000th person rudely for asking something the 1st or 10th or 20th person asked than you're probably doing the wrong thing. Stay off the support sites and let those who can and will help us with a little more curteousy help. Mashby, the first expert to come offer help at the beginning of the thread, at least read everything I had to say before saying anything and it showed in his/her posting.

Now as I said, I'm away of not being able to work with the current folder structure (for the reasons in blue above) .. I must use a new folder .. You and I are both talking about putting fresh files in a folder - except you are telling me to delete the contents of the current folder minus the settings.php/BAK where I am talking about the fresh set of files in a different file to be renamed to 'SMF' (so, the same outcome but a slightly different path to the outcome since I can not work in that existing 'SMF' folder) and I was talking about using the settings as I read them from settings.php where, again, you're saying to use the actual file. You're telling me I am completely wrong, but you're basically telling me the exact thing I was talking about doing - except that in my explanation I am thinking about the fact that I can not use that existing 'SMF' folder while you're trying to tell me to use it.

So - color me confused; and paint me completely frustrated.

Quote from: rayvon on July 17, 2014, 09:47:04 AM
Quote from: ‽ on July 17, 2014, 09:42:25 AM

Would you please just stop posting. Thanks.  >:(

THEY WILL NOT DO ANYTHING WITH THAT FOLDER THEY WILL NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THAT FOLDER THEY WILL ONLY BLAME MALWARE PROTECTION FOR THAT FOLDER ISSUE AND I DO NOT KNOW HOW MANY MORE WAYS I CAN EXPLAIN THAT.

It's like you keep saying the same thing over and over and over, and it's like I keep saying the same thing over and over and over ...

They will not address it further. The subsequent phone calls have not got me anything more than 'malware protection' ... You can keep telling me the same thing over and over - but it's not going to get us anywhere .... How can you not comprehend this? Do I need to translate this into some other language for you? You are not helping by suggesting it over and over, you are just getting me more and more agitated and it's not fair to anyone at all. Just please stop suggesting to talk to godaddy. Please stop suggesting to talk to godaddy. K? Please? No godaddy.

Arantor

So next week when your new installation gets similarly reflagged because you tried to bypass their malware protection... what then?

Rayvon

Well I would hope and assume that SMF is not malware, and whatever the glitch/issue/headache/pain-in-the-ass/problem is with the red 'SMF' folder will remain with and go away with the red 'SMF' folder after I delete it ..

Arantor

It isn't, but that doesn't mean GoDaddy won't reflag it for whatever criteria caused them to flag it the first time around...

Advertisement: