News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Issue with GoDaddy Mod Sec

Started by haptcom, July 08, 2014, 01:22:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haptcom

Hi,

New to the forums, but noticed many are having the same issue!

I called godaddy and was given the famous runaround that they can disable it due to it being on a shared linux server.

BUT, I was able to find out what was causing it!!!!!

SMF is sending a shell exec and mod sec is blocking it!

Hope this info is helpful,

Kind Regards
Justin

Pennsylvania, US

Sir Osis of Liver

Thanks for the info.  I've passed in on to the devs.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Kindred

well, that makes things both better and worse.

better because we now know what they are doing...
worse because our use of shell_exec is completely compliant and permissible within the structure of a php script.  So, what it actually means is that GoDaddy has poorly configured their mod_security (which we suspected to begin with)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

ARG01

Quote from: Kindred on July 08, 2014, 12:36:55 PM

...So, what it actually means is that GoDaddy has poorly configured their mod_security (which we suspected to begin with)

This was my initial thought.
No, I will not offer free downloads to Premium DzinerStuido themes. Please stop asking.

Arantor

You guys know that mod_security is nothing whatsoever to do with shell_exec, right?

mod_security is a set of rules that are applied to an incoming request. Anything that mod_security gets het up about is because of the request - and absolutely nothing to do with what happens once it gets to PHP (because mod_security has done its job by then), so once it hits PHP, shell_exec or nslookup or whatever else is going to be done to get hostname lookups, it's nothing to do with mod_security.

The odds are they're tweaking other configuration when 'disabling mod_security'.

haptcom

I was told that server blocks all shell exec commands and thats why the add new category does not work

Is there a way to get rid of shell exec completely

(that is what they can gather from the logs.)

Arantor

Nope.

shell_exec is run in a totally separate part of SMF and potentially runs on every page request to get the host name.

The add category is a mod_security issue, and shell_exec being removed will change nothing (as we have shown, time and time again)

Kindred

ah - thanks Arantor...   I didn't actually know that.
(That's why I rely on experts to tell me things, when I don't know - so next time I do!)

Anyway...    guess we're back to the drawing board in terms of figuring out WTF GoDaddy has (mis)configured.  I really wish that they would just talk to us...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

Has this problem been reported with any other host?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Illori

Quote from: Krash on July 08, 2014, 04:31:55 PM

many hosts that have mod_security miss configured have this issue. some do have issues with shell_exec but those generally seem to be fewer.

Arantor

Quote from: Krash on July 08, 2014, 04:31:55 PM

This particular issue specifically with mod_security seems to be localised to GoDaddy. Of course, mod_security issues are common to various hosts.

HDB

I am trying to learn something from this as I use GoDaddy as my hosting provider on a shared Linux server. 

So far from this discussion I get it that "mod_security" is preventing "add new category" from working. When would this be an issue? Do I need to worry? Do you guys have some links that I can read on the side to get a better understanding?

Thanks in advance.

Kindred

Well, it would be an issue when you try to add a new category.....
Слaва
Украинi

HDB

Quote from: Kindred on July 08, 2014, 09:59:09 PM
Well, it would be an issue when you try to add a new category.....
Are you referring to a new board index category. Like a sub forum or child board?

Kindred

no....   when you try to add a new category.  exactly what I said. not board, not child board. category.
Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: