Please help-what am I doing wrong--white page instead of forum,

Started by DarkAngel612, July 08, 2014, 03:28:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkAngel612

I uninstalled all mods, set myself to default smf theme then removed all files from the server for smf and any left over files for the mods.

I then uploaded the fresh files and -- excluded the installation files  --- went to the forum and there is a white screen. Nothing in the cache folder for error --- nothing anywhere.

What did I do wrong this time...needless to say I have done this many times and this time I got the white screen with only url in location bar and title of forum in browser tab

tried several browsers so they are not at fault.

I did a view page source and it showed nothing except this:
<!-- 

-->

almost like there is no index file at all.

Right now am uploading old files to see if I get the forum back but need help!
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

should be able to upload repair_settings.php and point your browser to that file, then follow all the recommended settings, you've overwritten your settings.php file, the system doesn't know where everything is anymore...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

DarkAngel612

Oh for goodness sake, the darn thing is lying...I did not upload the settings files at all, fact is I just checked them to see if they were still right...ok will do that

brb
Fantasy Attic ::  Fantasies Realm Market :: SMF 2.0+ with various mods and TinyPortal

DarkAngel612

Nope still a white page. I even uploaded a backup of those files and tried repair_settings again...no joy

I am nearing a panic here...LOL

Quote from: DarkAngel612 on July 08, 2014, 03:57:23 AM
Nope still a white page. I even uploaded a backup of those files and tried repair_settings again...no joy

I am nearing a panic here...LOL

Is there a .htaccess file in the root directory on the server currently??

Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

DarkAngel612

Quote from: DarkAngel612 on July 08, 2014, 04:10:02 AM
yes there is

ok, download a copy of it to a safe place and delete the one on the server, see what you get then, may have to wait a few for the change to take affect, not sure depends on host...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

DarkAngel612

DarkAngel612

nope still white. I even deleted the cookies, cache, bookmarks and history for the site and still white screen.

Quote from: DarkAngel612 on July 08, 2014, 04:15:36 AM
OK will try that

if that doesn't result in a login, it could be something odd in your php.ini file, what version of smf are we attempting to fix here, attach a copy of the php.ini you currently using here so i can look at it... on my system it must be named php5.ini in order to get it correctly? it won't hurt anything to rename yours to php5.ini and try again, you can always rename it back
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

DarkAngel612

here is the file, I removed it totally from the server---we have a vps so it  takes care of it I hope if not I can reupload it.

I originally installed an update for 2.0.8 from admin / packages but things started getting weird. So I took our the 2.0.7 files along with the ones that the updater plopped in there to have new pristine files.

I have done this countless time but have not gotten the white screen but twice before and it was because I forgot to upload a file or stuck another in the wrong place.

This time I went through --- after putting back all my files (to no avail)-- and removed the ones on the server and uploaded the fresh ones again 5 at a time.

I don't think any got corrupted. But it just won't let go of the white screen.

I hope I do not have to go through the installation process and then redo the database from my backup.

margarett

Instead of panicking, check your PHP error log. A white screen is usually a PHP error and the cause should be pointed out in your log.

According your php.ini, there should be a file called error_log somewhere
; Log errors to specified file.
error_log = error_log
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

not sure where you got that php.ini, but i would guess it is the main culprit, way too many un-necessary stuff in there, needs to be streamlined to the basics, and my guess is max memory item is too big...
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

DarkAngel612

AHA, even after countless refresh of ftp it was not in there so I quit ftp then opened him up again...this is what is in there

PHP Fatal error:  require_once(): Failed opening required '/home/server/public_html/attic/Sources/httpBL_Subs.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/user/public_html/attic/Themes/ambassador_2_0/index.template.php on line 371

The only thing I can think of is that when I uninstalled it the whole thing must not have installed.

Should I just remove the theme folder for now and put it back when I get the site back up?

DarkAngel612

It's back! I just removed and uploaded a fresh index.template file for all templates and I now see the site...

Thank you both for this and now to continue with my work and hope it does not do it to me again.

Quote from: DarkAngel612 on July 08, 2014, 05:05:19 AM
AHA, even after countless refresh of ftp it was not in there so I quit ftp then opened him up again...this is what is in there

PHP Fatal error:  require_once(): Failed opening required '/home/server/public_html/attic/Sources/httpBL_Subs.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/user/public_html/attic/Themes/ambassador_2_0/index.template.php on line 371

The only thing I can think of is that when I uninstalled it the whole thing must not have installed.

Should I just remove the theme folder for now and put it back when I get the site back up?

I noticed that include path in your php.ini file, it looks REALLY funky to me
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

margarett

Since you are already loading fresh files, do this:

* BACKUP
* Delete everything except "attachments", "avatars", "Settings.php" and "Settings_bak.php". If you have other relevant folders with custom content you might also want to keep it (eg: gallery)
* Load the large upgrade package. Don't upload the upgrade* files
* Load and run repair_settings.php. Check for the correct settings and save. Make sure you reset all users to default theme. Then use the button at the bottom of the page to remove hooks. Then remove the file.

It should be running now ;)

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

DarkAngel612

Did you miss me, Ima back....my site hates me that is all there is to it.

even though I try to use the repair settings file it gives the white page now.

but when accessing the forum It tells me it is there and i needs to be removed...so I did

only now the smf default theme that comes with the forum is not behaving. my theme is not right and the css folder is in there too. I have set the forum for everyone to use the smf curve theme too.

I know there is something  that I am not doing but got so flustered with the site disappearing on me that now I can't think.

I will do what you said right now, just in case it is still mucked up.

margarett

Wait a bit.

Default theme is working? If so, don't forget you probably removed every theme out there and, if you didn't, you should have :P

So go to ACP --> Themes and remove all themes except SMF Default theme (and maybe Core).

Then properly reinstall your theme. It should work.

DarkAngel612

Well I am back to square one...white page and it won't do the repair setting file at all either, coughs up white page there too.

Mstcool

How did you do a backup? Did you reinstall fresh SMF files and run a backup on that? That might help. After you run the backup, run repair_settings and fix your paths. :p

margarett

DarkAngel612

I made a backup of the database from phpmyadmin have the old files on my comp so deleted all files from server that were from old smf 2.0.7 with 2.0.8 update that got done via admin/packages. Just finished manually uploading all files and now the darn thing is total white page again.

Am so frustrated and getting really annoyed with the server that I am not understanding what you mean by run the backup. I just uploaded the files and ran repair settingbut it also gives white page.

margarett

Quote from: margarett on July 08, 2014, 06:22:55 AM
if you have a white page, let us know the php error log ;)
;)

Keep calm. We'll get there. There's just something you are not doing right, let's understand what and fix it.

DarkAngel612

There is no php error_log showing up

in case you are wondering:

PHP version5.4.25
MySQL version5.5.37-cll

margarett

(actually there should be an error somewhere...)

OK, let's restart. One step at a time.

Check the contents of Settings.php. DO NOT post its content here. Just make sure you database information is in place and correct. If you're not sure, compare the contents to your backup.

DarkAngel612

Mstcool

Wait, I think I know what you are doing wrong. When you uploaded your files...what are you uploading? Your backup files or a new fresh set of SMF files? And where are you uploading them?

DarkAngel612

a fresh set of smf files from the large download package. adding them to the directory that houses the forum

link to not behaving forum: http://thefantasiesattic.net/attic/index.php

Mstcool

When you upload your fresh files, does the forum work BEFORE running repair_settings?

And by running a back up, I mean, go to your phpmyadmin, click on backup, click on upload and upload the backup that you took from your old phpmyadmin. And then run repair_settings and fix the paths. Dont run repair_settings after you upload a fresh set of SMF files, only run repair_settings AFTER you upload your backup through phpmyadmin. After you run your repair_settings, if your forum is back online, it will look messed up (exactly like the pic you showed us) so just login and change your theme to the default SMF curve theme and you should be fine. :)

margarett

OK, do this again. Get another large upgrade package, just in case...
Quote from: margarett on July 08, 2014, 05:20:18 AM
* Delete everything except "attachments", "avatars", "Settings.php" and "Settings_bak.php". If you have other relevant folders with custom content you might also want to keep it (eg: gallery)
* Load and run repair_settings.php. Check for the correct settings and save. Make sure you reset all users to default theme. Then use the button at the bottom of the page to remove hooks. Then remove the file.
@Mstcool, I don't think she needs to restore a database backup, it's probably not necessary ;)

DarkAngel612

Quote from: Mstcool on July 08, 2014, 06:46:38 AM
When you upload your fresh files, does the forum work BEFORE running repair_settings?

It worked prior to the uploading of the files. but since the uploads only a white page even for repair settings

And by running a back up, I mean, go to your phpmyadmin, click on backup, click on upload and upload the backup that you took from your old phpmyadmin. And then run repair_settings and fix the paths. Dont run repair_settings after you upload a fresh set of SMF files, only run repair_settings AFTER you upload your backup through phpmyadmin. After you run your repair_settings, if your forum is back online, it will look messed up (exactly like the pic you showed us) so just login and change your theme to the default SMF curve theme and you should be fine.<$1alt="" title="" onresizestart="return false;" id="smiley__$2" style="padding: 0 3px 0 3px;" />

ok, so I need to do the database back up to the server? After the upload of files? I have never had to do that before, just upload new files and go back to forum to redo mods.

I mean that the only time I have had to do the database backup after file uploading was to tell it to see the site again after hitting install instead of doing the upgrade.php

Mstcool

Quote from: margarett on July 08, 2014, 06:50:41 AM
OK, do this again. Get another large upgrade package, just in case...
Quote from: margarett on July 08, 2014, 05:20:18 AM
@Mstcool, I don't think she needs to restore a database backup, it's probably not necessary ;)

But im confused now lol.

@dark, read this. :p
How do I restore a database backup?

But do what Margarett said, first. :p

DarkAngel612

yes I do that when I have to reinstall the database but not when I am just trying to get a good update of the files, which is the case here sweety.

I ahve my host on the line too cause this is so baffling. It came back for a bit then was messed up. so got rid of files again and did the new ones and again...white page.

margarett

Without a PHP error log is difficult. Ask your host for help getting that log ;)

If you can't really fix it, I can give it a look but only later...

DarkAngel612

He finally saw the page I was telling him about. At first thought the index.php was chmodded wrong but it is set to 664

Thank you for the above and beyond help sugar I really appreciate it.

Hopefully he can figure out what happened.

DarkAngel612

well just to keep you informed. Host is having me upload the old files I removed and if need be to do the DB reinstall too.

I still get the white page and the one time I did get the forum up again it appeared like the image I showed your earlier only this time with hardly any text.

It's almost like nothing belongs there anymore.

Oh yea he said that they have a way to install the forum in their control panels but they do not support it due to something or other. I am so tired almost 7 and still no site.

margarett

If you can wait until later today, I'll have a look at it. That's the most I can do :(

But I have to say, something smells fishy... A white page without logs isn't really good...

DarkAngel612

Funny how he could not find an explanation as to why that happened.

My forum is back. set all files back to 2.0.7 then discovered that for some reason the permission for the files were all screwed up...664 instead of 644 so reset my ftp program to correct chmodding, reupped the 2.0.8 files again and now I am back to par again.

the theme was all nuts but went into admin and told it to try to reset them all and there you go. All themes are still installed and functional. I am so happy.

This saved many a cow cause the papers would have had a story about a 62 year old woman trying to gum a cow to death but armed with knife and fork chasing them down...LOL

Thanks to both of you cause you were more help than he could ever been.

Mstcool

Glad its fixed. I was trying to post a post in which I told you to install 2.0.7 and then run a backup on that (cuz i think thats what you basically did and it fixed it) but my wifi was being stupid lol. Anyways, if you need more help, let us know. :)

But mark this as topic solved though. :p

Advertisement: