News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Verification for new members

Started by Auke, July 12, 2014, 05:45:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

Thin lines moving slowly is fine (see ArantorCaptcha).

If I get time I'll see about adding it in but I'm currently in the middle of a huge mod build.

Auke

Ah, finally a suggestion by me that is not DOA!

That mod is the thing with the paycheck?

Auke

In addition to the Arantor CAPTCHA, would these questions work? Of course, these questions are aimed at people residing in or visiting the Guianas. I made similar questions in Dutch and French.

Change "Gnayua" in the name of an area Guyana
Change "Ggoerowten" in the name of a place Georgetown
Largest mammal in neotropical forests Tapir or tapir

Arantor

If it's aimed at people residing in the Guianas, or interested in it - meaning that they'd know the material, I could kind of imagine it working.

I don't know the area, so I'd struggle to have come up with the answers personally.

Tell you one thing I did, actually. A site I did was called Game Memorial, a blog thing of games, and I set the question to 'what do we memorialise here (5 letters)' with the answer being games. No bots ever figured that one out. Just something to consider - maybe a play on words around the site name might work better than anagrams (especially if people aren't clear on the context of 'change' in that situation, maybe "Unscramble" might work better)

Auke

@ ‽:

I think there's a small bug in your Multiple QA support? I'm just testing the looks of the various questions now. When I'm looking at the French version I see the French verification questions. When I change the language to English, I go back one page to the Registration Agreement. When I press 'Accept' I go again to the verification page, but while that whole page is in English, the questions are still in French. When I Press 'Register' again in the top of the page, I go back to the RA, press 'Accept' and then the whole verification page is in English. Same thing other way around, same with Dutch. But it doesn't happen all the time... When I go e.g. from English (with English questions) to Dutch, the Dutch has also English questions. But when I go straight on to French, the French has normal French questions. Straight on to English, I see still French questions... When you just press the 'Registration' at the bottom of the verification page the wrong language questions just stay in the wrong language.

You might want to have a look at this. Sure looks silly...  :P

Ninja ZX-10RR

@Auke

Questions and issues about a mod should be pointed out in the relative mod support topic --> http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=525366.0 :) so please ask there about it ;)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

Well, from experience, changing languages midway through registration is not something most users will do anyway. So for the average user, it seems unlikely to actually be a problem.

The questions are reloaded if 1) the user gets them wrong a couple of times or 2) they close and reload their browser.

It's really no different to a spammer keep pushing reload until they get a question they can answer, and prevents that being exploited by language shifting. I did consider forcing a reload when language was changed but I found it could be abused so I deliberately headed it off at the pass. In an ideal world, I would have written it to reload but given the multiple routes and ways this can happen, it seemed to me to be the best solution to the problem to protect best against bots whilst trying not to impede legitimate users.

@Flavio: we don't need to stand on formality here. There's enough relevant discussion here that keeping it here is probably more of a positive.

Ninja ZX-10RR

Well I would add the details in there as well, it would be a good thing to warn users so that they won't report this twice or more :) and as you also explained the reasons for it everyone should be "happy" :D
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Auke

Okay, thank you for the clarification. You're right that I was doing things normal users are not likely to do.

Further no other comments than a big THANK YOU for making this mod working in 2.0.8  :-*

@ Flavio93Zena: I put a link there to his answer here. I guess that should suffice?

Ninja ZX-10RR

Thanks Auke this has already been done. Awesome both for the link and the post. :D

Yeah I will use this message to say thank you as well, I have it installed on my forum too :P one among many others from you :P

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Auke

I refrased the questions a bit. Same answers, but I think it shouldn't be too difficult for humans now:

Change the letter order of "Gynaua" into a country name
Change the letter order of "Ggoerowten" into a city name

Arantor

Auke

Ah, finally! Next to these 6 questions (2 English for Guyana, 2 Dutch for Suriname, 2 French for French Guiana) I put in 3 more to direct people to the correct countries without using the answers of the first questions (at least not in the same language). With the Arantor CAPTCHA in place too, I think my spam defence will be reasonably effective. But time will tell.

Ninja ZX-10RR

I still have those ones off (will turn them on later) and just the "are you human?" plus the bad behaviour and no spammers here ;)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Advertisement: