News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Request for mod to choose language before registration

Started by Auke, July 14, 2014, 01:09:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auke

Hi all,

First of all, I'm not able to pay you for the following request. I'm requesting this for a forum with SMF 2.0.8, but I figure it will come in handy for more forums than just mine.

I have just started a forum on which I expect to welcome people with various first languages. Unfortunately, it is now not possible to choose the language BEFORE registration. That means that if my forum default language is English, people who don't read English won't understand the Registration Agreement they're supposed to sign. I found a mod which is supposed to take care of this, but it is made only for SMF 1.1.4 and the author hasn't been on SMF for over 4 months: http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=1011

It would be very nice if someone around here would be able and willing to create a new mod to solve this problem. By the way, I already installed the three languages (English, Dutch and French) that people on my forum can choose from.

Thanks in advance,

Auke

br360

This one may be close. http://custom.simplemachines.org/mods/index.php?mod=2705

I haven't tested to see if it would be on the registration page, but from the images, it looks like it will at least be on the index page; where someone can click on their language and then hit the register link.

Auke

Thanks for the suggestion, but that one was actually suggested to me in another topic. Unfortunately, some parts of it failed the automated test and after installation I saw no changes at all in my forum. Maybe it's not compatible with my SMF version. Of course, when people have already become members I can just give them multilingual instructions on how to change the default language into the one of their preference. That leaves me with the part before registration (Registration Agreement, verification questions).

Thanks in advance for any additional help.

Auke

margarett

I submitted a MOD for this :P
It has to be approved first, of course ;)

Verification questions with Multiple Languages is another story, though...
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Auke

Thank you for making a mod for this! I hope it gets approved soon.

Quote from: margarett on July 14, 2014, 12:43:03 PM
Verification questions with Multiple Languages is another story, though...

I think I know what you mean: the explanatory text regarding the verification questions may change with the chosen language, but the actual questions stay the same. Correct? That would mean there is a need (or at least I got a need ::)) for a mod which allows you to make several sets of verification questions which change with the chosen language.

Auke

margarett

SMF 2.1 (in development) already supports multilanguage questions and answers. TBH I don't know how it's done...

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Auke

The stuff in that link certainly looks like hocus pocus to me!

I guess I just have to wait for the approval (for the changeable language of the Registration Agreement) and the finalization of the magic (for the rest)

Thanks,

Auke

NanoSector

There's two mods in the queue that might interest you right now. We're working to get them through as fast as possible! :)
My Mods / Mod Builder - A tool to easily create mods / Blog
"I've heard from a reliable source that the Answer is 42. But, still no word on what the question is."

Arantor

Well, one of the two has a bug and I'm not sure which route to take (on the basis that it affects 2.1)...

margarett

And the other is mine :P How much worse can it get? ;D

Arantor

I've fixed the bug in the multi-language, multi-answer Q&A mod (and documented what needs doing for 2.1) so it's just awaiting approval now :)

butchs

I have been truly inspired by the SUGGESTIONS as I sit on my throne and contemplate the wisdom imposed upon me.

Arantor

There is something raised as a possible edge case (admin changes default language to one that doesn't have any questions defined, internal code gets quite upset) but in my mind that's an edge case that can be resolved in a support context rather than code juggling to fix it (bearing in mind the consequences that we shouldn't give users a free pass to spam just because the admin's a tool and didn't set up questions for the language)

Auke

Thank you both very much ‽ and margarett!  :-* I will await the approval.

Auke

Some other technical issues are fixed now too! There's also someone outside of SMF working on a translation of my English intro text into French which should be completed somewhere this week. That only leaves me with the approval of this mod to wait for before I can open my forum. 8)

(Well, and maybe some mods which I didn't think about yet, but at least all the stuff I consider necessary will be done.)

margarett

Auke

Thanks margarett, I just installed it. :-*

This sure is an improvement of the single language Registration Agreement that I had before. However, it does not really give potential members to choose the language they would like to use, it merely makes them able to choose the language of the Registration Agreement. They still have to read the rest of the registration text in the default forum language. This means that if I would have Dutch as default language, you would have to cope with e.g. this sentence: "Sta gebruikers toe mij een e-mail te sturen".
I will await ‽'s mod and then make the decision which one I will use in my forum.

Arantor

Advertisement: