[FREE] symbol in front of site name

Started by Auke, July 15, 2014, 04:20:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auke

Hello all,

In front of the names of websites there is a place for a small symbol (in case of SMF forum something that looks like a seesaw). Could somebody here please tell me how to put a symbol in that place?

Thanks in advance,

Auke

Auke

Thank you. So it's called a favicon.

What I see is that I have to edit /Themes/default/index.template.php as follows:

Find <head> then add after:

echo ' <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" />';

I got no clue how to do this... Where do I find this /Themes/default/~ ?

Sorry, I'm a newbie... ::)

Auke

Illori

usually you dont need to do that. just upload the file to the main folder of your forum and your browser should pick it up automatically.

Auke

I'm pretty sure there are some elephants in the room which I'm overlooking, but...
- where do I find this file?
- where do I find the 'main folder' of my forum?

Depending on what I see when I find file and folder I also might need some assistance on how to do the uploading.

Auke

Kindred

You have to create the file yourself

You upload it to whatever directory your forum is installed to on your site.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Auke

Ah, okay, thank you.

That's bound to go wrong with me. I'll leave it for sometime in the future.

Auke

Kindred

There are many sites which will convert any normal image that you want to try into an ico for favicon usage
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Auke

Right. I just used the link provided by BurkeKnight to create my own favicon which I saved over the seesaw favicon. Thank you for the help so far. What should I do next?

Auke

Burke ♞ Knight

As long as it is uploaded to the root of the site, it should work automatically.
However, it may not show for a little while to you, as you been so much on the site.
Try to open the site in a different browser, one that not used for the site, and you should see it right away on that one.

Auke

Well, I got the favicon on my laptop but the server on which my site is hosted is somewhere else. Shouldn't I somehow put the favicon on the server?

I use FireFox to work as an Admin on my website while I got a testaccount working from IE. I just opened the site on my otherwise unused Safari, but I don't see my favicon there.

Please advise.

Auke

Kindred

Yes. It needs to go on your server...
Слaва
Украинi

Auke

Ah, nice. I made a correct conclusion. Let's party! ::)

How should I proceed to get the favicon on the server? Could you advice me?

Kindred

FTP is the best choice.., your cpanel file manager probably would work as well.
Слaва
Украинi

Arantor

I'd prefer SFTP if it's available but most hosts aren't using the secure version yet. (Which is a shame, since FTP can go die in a fire, well, anytime)

Auke

I haven't seen the term SFTP anywhere, so I suppose that's probably not available. Regarding FTP and cPanel, I know the terms by now, but am still at a loss as what they do / what I can do with them. It's probably explained somewhere, but there's just so much I have to learn all of a sudden.

I tried to upload the favicon with the package manager, but it didn't accept the .ico extension. Could you please explain how I upload the file with FTP?

Arantor

Auke

Thank you '?!'

I read the link, installed an FTP client and then made my own favicon disappear while trying to upload it, made a new favicon, tried to upload it again but probably failed (nothing to indicate that I succeeded). Grmbl.

Advertisement: