I have an issue with cookies and I cannot login as an admin anymore.

Started by mani123, July 22, 2014, 02:23:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mani123

I don't know what I did, but I installed a new theme and now I cannot login or save anything. I keep getting this when logging in
QuoteSorry, but you've reached your login attempts threshold. Please wait 30 seconds and try again later.
When I did have access it would give me an error "Session verification failed. Please try logging out and back in again, and then try again.", When I try to login I go to a blank page. Also, when I tried to save settings or something, the next page would be blank.
Repair settings does not work, I tried changing the cookie multiple times now.

www.dnmodz.com

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

mani123

Here's the issue, I do have access to the admin account, it's just SMF that won't let me login. It just either goes to blank page or gives me a "Try waiting 30 seconds to login again" error. The theme is the default curve. I haven't made a back up since 1~ month ago, but that's far, wouldn't posts get lost?

Ninja ZX-10RR

Your answer suggests that you didn't read the second link I provided, if I linked it well there is a reason for it mate, the reason is that backing up would not affect your POSTS but only the rest.
Also
Quote from: mani123 on July 22, 2014, 03:00:16 AM
I do have access to the admin account
and
Quote from: mani123 on July 22, 2014, 03:00:16 AM
it's just SMF that won't let me login.
are a bit contradictory :P
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

mani123

As in this, maybe it's a little confusing. An admin account is there on the server, I cannot access it, not because I forgot my pass/deleted/or lost it, it's because SMF is giving me an error after I input my username and password. As for a back up, posts, information, and simple things stay right? Except uploads and images?

Justyne

Assuming it's just theme.. try this

YOUR_URL/index.php?action=theme;sa=pick;u=1;theme=1

That should let you see the default theme and you might be able to log in then.

If not, repair settings is your friend. Maybe you are doing something wrong there.

http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Repair_settings.php

You can change the theme there.

If you could let us know what settings you see when you open repair we might be able to assist better and tell you which one is skewed.
Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.

Justyne

Have you tried renaming your cookie yet?

Also, Maintenance mode is on. That should not stop you logging as an admin but it would stop you as a member - though usually with a different error message.

mani123

I tried everything. I tried changing the cookie name, nothing shows up in the error logs, or maybe I'm reading them wrong. Where do they start? Most recent in the first page of phpmyadmin or the back page?

Ninja ZX-10RR

Again I would use a backup file before/after the last installed mod... So everything would restore and posts would be untouched...

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

mani123

Ok so do you recommend this? I Replace all SMF files with a clean one and reinstall all the themes and extra stuff, and reconnect to the mySQL database? Will that work?

Justyne

Since you seem to be able to log in sometimes for a bit?

Admin CP, Server Settings > Cookies and Sessions

Enable local storage of cookies - unchecked

Usually SMF handles cookies better than the broswer.

I still don't understand though how this issue could have occurred through installation of a new theme.

Sure there werent any new mods or something you are forgetting?

kat

None of this could be cause by a duff theme...

One of these should be selected, in Server Settings:

Enable local storage of cookies
(SSI won't work well with this on.)

Use subdomain independent cookies
(turn off local cookies first!)

But, obviously, not both.

If you're OK with sending me a PM with your login details, after reading THIS, I could take a look, for you.

Before you do that, though, it might be that just using a different browser will get you in.

mani123

I uninstalled simpleportal, and nothing came up unsuccessful beforehand when I ran the uninstall.

kat

Ah... How long ago did you do that?

I notice something rather odd...

"SMF 2.0.6 | SMF© 2011 l Simple Machines lDzinerStudio - Inferno Theme"

Even if you're using the default "Curve" theme. That says "We have a cockup, somewhere", to me...

('course, upgrading to v2.0.8 is a Good PlanTM...)

mani123

That was part of simple portal I think, I made a footer because the previous theme got rid of the SMF footer due to space.

kat

I have your details and I'm having a butcher's. Gimme a few minutes...

"Sorry, but you've reached your login attempts threshold. Please wait 30 seconds and try again later." is causing me to have to wait, though.

mani123

That always shows up, it doesn't matter. Those 30 seconds are infinite! The error message shows up everywhere.

kat

Could be a symptom.

I just sent you a PM, coz it's saying the password's wrong. :(

kat

Oh, joy...

Put the login details in, hit "Log in" and I'm getting a blank screen. Tried six different browsers, too. :(

I wonder if we have one of those weird coincidences, here... Just as you did your theme and stuff, I wonder if, at exactly the same time, your host did something to their server?

Advertisement: