News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

[/size] showing up in posts

Started by jonesH, July 23, 2014, 02:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonesH

Hello again.

I am preparing a forum with English UTF-8 and I am typing-in the body of a posting from an iPad running iOS 7.0.4, and use Courier 10 instead of the default, and the "Disable WYSIWYG editor" is not ticked.

What's happening is that upon posting, I get these [/size] showing up just about everywhere the virtual keypad Return button would be (the crlf seems correct, though). I get them in the posting view and also in the "Modify" instance.

I wonder if the same would happen if I tried it here.

I can think of a number of things to try before I throw in the towel, such as using a PC, a mac, different browsers, default typeface, and so on - but before going through all that, has anyone encountered, and perhaps solved, this?

Ninja ZX-10RR

Did you follow all the rules described here? http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Bulletin_board_code :)
Does the size actually work or not?
Please try to disable the WYSIWYG editor and see if you get results.
Also, please update to SMF 2.0.8, I can see in your signature that you are running 2.0.7 ;)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

jonesH

Yes, followed, and disabling made no diff. As far as upgrading - coming soon :)

The fontface is correct, and the size probably also (at least all the same). I will try next with default fontface/size to see what happens.

Ninja ZX-10RR

The correct BBC nesting would be like [size=Xpt]content[/size]. Does it even WORK? I mean does the font actually get resized or not? When did it start to happen? Mods installed? Only the ones in the siggy?
Note that if you forget to close the [/size] SMF will do that automatically leaving it at the end of the post :P
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

jonesH

I am not nesting manually, but rather selecting paragraphs and then choosing from the drop-down lists above the posting box. So I am not involved in the opening/closing steps.

It has been happening from the very beginning (virgin installs); no mods other than in the signature.

Next I will run more tests, including changing font variables, computers, OS's and browsers, and come back with updates.

Thanks for your help so far!

Ninja ZX-10RR

Ok :) if you can add some informations to it well they would be appreciated ;) you're welcome anyway. Let us know we are waiting for another post. :D

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Chalky

If you could go in to modify a post that is doing that and copy and paste its entire plain text contents here inside code tags, that would be useful  :)

Kindred

1- smf version?
2- mods installed?
3- url?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

I'm wondering if it's in WYSIWYG mode by default (remember: disable WYSIWYG wasn't ticked) and Webkit is adding size tags all over the show where the code was never designed to support all the changes since then.

jonesH

@ChalkCat: I was having a hard time reproducing the problem, and after several quick changes to a test post, the issue happened again after I selected a portion of an existing paragraph (the word "troubleshoot") and changed the fontface and size from default to Courier 10; I wonder if changing the size causes this:

Test Topic
« on: Today at 10:20:07 AM »
This is a test topic to troubleshoot the tag issue.

[/size]This is to test for change of fontface and size.

[/size]Still good.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:22:51 AM by tt »

@Kindred: version and mods are in my signature; a link to the site is coming soon.

Two more bits of info: this tag issue is intermittent, sometimes disappears simply after a page refresh (the forum setting does allow page caching), and I am sometimes able to glimpse at the bad tags as the page refreshes, just before the page is finished rendering (it only lasts less than the blink of an eye).

Ninja ZX-10RR

Well I can't see any opening tags for those [/size] tags...

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

jonesH

Precisely that's the problem here...

Anyone can please try these steps on your own forums:
create new topic and type in something
save
open again and highlight some text, change it to Courier 12, save again
repeat these steps a few times and notice whether the [/size] issue happens.

Ninja ZX-10RR

O.o Can you PM me a test account to your forum? This thing doesn't happen on mine, I tried lots of times and also by checking before the size and then the font and viceversa...

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

jonesH

I am trying to set up a test user to give out for troubleshooting purposes and every time I dabble with the membergroups and permisions I am just proving how little I understand its workings...

But I shall return as soon as I get that to work :)

Thanks for everything so far.

Ninja ZX-10RR

LOL no problem, take your time :)
Refer to the manual if you need it --> http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/SMF2.0:Permissions :D

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Shambles

Just ruling out the obvious, make sure you don't have a "censored word" that provides a [/size] as a substitute.

Illori

Quote from: ‽ on July 23, 2014, 06:25:41 AM
I'm wondering if it's in WYSIWYG mode by default (remember: disable WYSIWYG wasn't ticked) and Webkit is adding size tags all over the show where the code was never designed to support all the changes since then.

i think this is really the issue and the text that was posted is what is seen, not the bbc code showing completely.

Kindred

hmmm...   system ate my post.

I said exactly what Illori just posted.
You never answered Arantor's question about the wysiwyg.

If you are using the wysiwyg - turn it off. bet the issue goes away.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: Flavio93Zena on July 23, 2014, 02:41:14 AM
Please try to disable the WYSIWYG editor and see if you get results.
As a footnote I already asked the OP to do that long time ago ;)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Arantor

There's three different ways to disable the editor.

Advertisement: