News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

trying to upgrade from 1.1.19 to 2.0.8

Started by Graycat, July 24, 2014, 10:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graycat

Hello I have tried everything..
I tried upgrading to 2.0.6, 2.0.7, 2.0.8 they all give me this same page no matter what I try.
Yes I have also ran the repair_settings.php file.
Yes I have also tried uploading fresh 1.1.19 files.
I have been lurking this forum and google searches for 3 days with no luck so here I am :D

mashby

Welcome to SMF. Glad to see you trying to update to the 2.0.x series! :)

What did you upload to upgrade? Based on the message, did you upload everything in the upgrade package?
Always be a little kinder than necessary.
- James M. Barrie

Graycat

Thanks for the fast reply and yes I just extracted the files from the zip and uploaded them via ftp I also have tried extracting via cpanel. If you were thinking I uploaded all the seperate zips at the same time, no i didn't. So basically, I just overwrote my 1.1.19 files with the upgrade.

mashby

That's an odd message in your screen shot, specifically the mention of lower-case english. What happens if you click Try English? What is the current language setting of your 1.1.19 site?
- James M. Barrie

Graycat

english and when I click it does nothing.

mashby

- James M. Barrie

Graycat

nothing, it just shows you can input your username to bypass the errors but when you do it does nothing.

mashby

OK, what files are you uploading to your site? The sites I've upgraded over the years haven't had this kind of experience. I'm sorry you are experiencing them. Are you using the 2.0.8 Large Upgrade Package?
- James M. Barrie

Graycat

yes as stated in the op.
yea I have done it many times before also I just have no idea what may be causing this.

mashby

OK, but you mention this:
QuoteI tried upgrading to 2.0.6, 2.0.7, 2.0.8 they all give me this same page no matter what I try.
What exactly are you doing to upgrade to any of those?
- James M. Barrie

Graycat

Quote from: Graycat on July 24, 2014, 10:49:01 PM
Thanks for the fast reply and yes I just extracted the files from the zip and uploaded them via ftp I also have tried extracting via cpanel. If you were thinking I uploaded all the seperate zips at the same time, no i didn't. So basically, I just overwrote my 1.1.19 files with the upgrade.

I unzip, Upload & navigate to upgrade.php

mashby

And which ZIP file is that? I'm only asking because you mentioned 2.0.6, 2.0.7, and 2.0.8.
- James M. Barrie

Graycat

mashby

- James M. Barrie

Graycat

Quote from: Graycat on July 24, 2014, 11:20:44 PM
Quote from: Graycat on July 24, 2014, 10:49:01 PM

I unzip, Upload & navigate to upgrade.php

so the answer is yes.

mashby

OK, so what software makes this page work?
http://getgibbed.com/?page=about
I can see from your site's footer you are on 1.1.19. Can I assume that's from uploading the fresh 1.1.19 files?
- James M. Barrie

Graycat

yes, i have a backup.

and the site works by ssi calls and no the ssi file is not modified currently.

Graycat

also im not the original creator of the site so i cant tell you if anything else is changed.

Im just creating a new version of the site and would love to get the guy on the most recent version.

Illori

margarett

I've seen this error a lot of times and the reason isn't always... clear.

I'm not sure whether or not the upgrader tries to use your current theme (it seems it doesn't, looking at the code) but either way, set your forum to SMF's default theme before you start.

Then, you are probably missing Install.english.php. Check that the file is there, and that you have correct permissions on that file.

Finally, if everything else fails:
* Backup
* delete everything except attachments, avatars, Settings.php and Settings_bak.php.
* Load the large upgrade package and try again to run the upgrader.
Se forem conduzir, não bebam. Se forem beber... CHAMEM-ME!!!! :D

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Graycat

Quote from: margarett on July 25, 2014, 10:35:26 AM
I've seen this error a lot of times and the reason isn't always... clear.

I'm not sure whether or not the upgrader tries to use your current theme (it seems it doesn't, looking at the code) but either way, set your forum to SMF's default theme before you start.

Then, you are probably missing Install.english.php. Check that the file is there, and that you have correct permissions on that file.

Finally, if everything else fails:
* Backup
* delete everything except attachments, avatars, Settings.php and Settings_bak.php.
* Load the large upgrade package and try again to run the upgrader.

I have tried all that lol.
When I delete everything but attachments, avatars, ect I get an error saying im missing files.

margarett

Not sure what to tell you, then :( I performed *several* upgrades and never once I've seen that error...

Double-check Install.english.php. Check the permissions of that file.

Futher notes:
* I see that you are working at it. You removed your front page too. You should only delete what's inside "forum" folder
* You have a visible "BACKUPS" folder. You should remove that out of public_html

QuoteOver 90% of all computer problems can be traced back to the interface between the keyboard and the chair

Graycat

just tried once again with the 2.0.8 upgrade files and got the same error :/

margarett

You error is with Install.english.php

I tried to access the file at
http://getgibbed.com/forum/Themes/default/languages/Install.english.php

And I got "Internal Server Error"
Take out 777, your host doesn't like it. 644 works fine

Graycat

Same error, this is becoming extremely frustrating.

Illori

did you check that your paths are correct?

Graycat

yes I stated in the op I used the repair file.

Graycat

Is their anyway I can just import the posts, threads, ect after a full install nothing seems to be working when trying to make the upgrade work.

margarett

Meh, how strange :(

The paths should be correct, yes, assuming it's the same Settings.php that was working with SMF 1.1.19

There's something very strange in that, really... Let me try some stuff here...

You can't really import without the converter. That's its main function, to convert the database schema ;)

Graycat

Quote from: margarett on July 25, 2014, 11:19:30 AM
Meh, how strange :(

The paths should be correct, yes, assuming it's the same Settings.php that was working with SMF 1.1.19

There's something very strange in that, really... Let me try some stuff here...

You can't really import without the converter. That's its main function, to convert the database schema ;)

Well so is this database forever stuck on 1.1.19 or do you possibly have anymore suggestions?

margarett

Nop, we just need to understand what is your problem, actually. And then you can successfully convert your forum, like you're supposed to ;)

Can you please PM me the contents of your Settings.php? DO NOT post it here ;)

Graycat

margarett

I've seen it, thanks. Unfortunately this is not where the error comes from :(

I'd like to fully debug this. I can reproduce this in some ways but I have to deliberately change stuff. It's obviously not your case as everything should be in place...
If you're comfortable with this, please send me your cPanel login details (FTP would be enough but I have no FTP access where I am right now) and I'll check it. I need to echo some variables in order to understand where exactly is it failing to find your language file...

Graycat

sent, let me know if you would like for me to re-deploy my backup at some point.

margarett

OK, I was able to make your upgrade page to show up.

I really need to leave now. Try the conversion. If it fails, please restore your backup and then we can try another time.
Thank you for your help, we might have found something ;)

Graycat

Well it updated kinda, it seemed to go completely flawless until the last step of the upgrade were the theme was messed up again.
Now I think the forum is working, but the theme is completely broken. Also, when i try to use repair_settings.php to try to fix it it gives an error.

Graycat

Well it seems you fixed the repair file or it just magically started working so i completed it and now its giving this error.

Unable to load Themes/default/index.template.php!

Maybe a re-upload of the 2.0.8 files would fix it? ( I tried and it had no effect )
I just don't want to overwrite any of the possible files you may have modified.

kat

Is that file actually there? If it is, is it read-enabled?

Graycat

Quote from: K@ on July 25, 2014, 01:56:01 PM
Is that file actually there? If it is, is it read-enabled?

Yea its there its currently at 664 and i also tried 777.

Illori

kat

I'd be tempted to wait for Bruno to get back. Don't want to screw what he's already done, after all. ;)

Graycat

yea hes a ninja, that is really what ive been waiting for.

margarett

I'm back, but just in the phone...

I didn't change any files, except upgrade.php (which should already be deleted by now)

In repair settings, check the option to reset everyone to default theme. It should help (I hope :P )

Graycat

I did that when i ran the repair that's what got me to this point.

margarett

Meh :(

I'd have to take a look. I'm sorry, I have no idea why that happens... It's totally new to me :(

Graycat

Graycat

AH! I got it working!

For some odd reason the default theme was trying to be one of my custom themes which is what was causing the error!

If you wanna elaborate on how you fixed my original update issue it may save another user from the headache you and I had to endure.

kat

Quote from: Graycat on July 25, 2014, 11:28:58 PMFor some odd reason the default theme was trying to be one of my custom themes which is what was causing the error!

Yer wot?

How was it doing that, out of curiosity?

In the normal run of things, custom themes always rely on the default, for comparative files that the custom theme doesn't have. A custom theme, for example, MIGHT not have, say, an Admin.template.php file, in which case it'd pull the corresponding file from the default theme (Otherwise there'd be zillions of duplicate files and they'd take up a LOT of room).

margarett

That is exactly the issue. I will try to establish how to reproduce that error for further debug.
What I've done was to edit upgrade.php to use the default theme URL and path instead of the ones stored in $modSettings. It works for the upgrader but the wrong value was still in the database and that, I think, caused your "post-upgrade" issues.

Again, thank you for allowing me to check this. I'm now marking this as solved, let us know if you need further help ;)

Advertisement: