If username differs from display name, have link title change to username

Started by samborabora, July 29, 2014, 05:26:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arantor

What I will tell you is this: username history is NOT stored. There is the slight edge case of the profile log where it *might* be stored but that's off by default and if it is there, it's not going to be in a format easily accessible for lookups of the kind required.

However, one solution requires a single new column with a serialised array in the members table, the other requires abusing a pre-existing table in a slightly unconventional way which has slightly more repercussions and more hoops to jump through. Neither is especially expensive in their own right but care must be taken when applying these to the topic view in particular. No extra queries should be required in either case to load the data, and one or two queries in either case to save the data depending on situation.

Oh, and you only think you have a problem. Users will still get confused in the situation I outlined, because I have seen this before. You are not so unique to assume this has never, ever in the history of forums anywhere, ever come up before - because it has. I guarantee you have not solved the confusion you sought to avoid. Just wait for users to change their usernames some.

Sir Osis of Liver

Took me several attempts to slog through this entire thread, but now that I've gotten here, would like to offer some observations, fwiw.

Firstly, and most obviously -

Quote from: Chalky on July 30, 2014, 02:51:48 PM
Maybe I've missed somethng, but why not just prevent your users from changing their display name using the setting in Features & Options....?

If this were a security issue, then there wouldn't be an option to easily disable display names, would there?

Secondly, the OP asked a perfectly reasonable coding question on the correct board, in a perfectly reasonable manner.  If anyone feels his request is a bad idea, state your case for his consideration, which was done (in a perfectly reasonable manner).  If OP considers this advice and still wants the code, answer the question or leave the thread and let someone else help him.  It's his forum, and if his members object to the change, he'll find out soon enough.

Thirdly, I have been a member of many forums over the years, and have run a number of forums myself using different software, and have never been on a forum that allowed (or I noticed allowed) the use of display names different from usernames, until I started using SMF.  I always assumed that the name I registered with would be for public viewing, and chose a screenname accordingly.  It's not unreasonable to assume that pretty much all members do this, especially since there is no indication on the registration form that a different display name can be used.

That's my $.02, spend it anyway you like.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

kat

I think we all got a bit confused, to be honest. :P

But, with extremely good grace, samborabora has sent me (And others, I suspect) a message of apology and I've sent one back, doing the same.

All kudos, to the guy, for that! :)

We're good!

Burke ♞ Knight

I sent him an idea I had that could help.
Since there really is no real way of keeping a member really known, when changing display names frequently, a little required profile field where they enter their old display name would maybe work. As long as they do it....LOL

kat

It also gives them the option to not do it, if that's what they prefer. :)

Good stuff!

samborabora

Quote from: BurkeKnight on August 03, 2014, 05:28:39 AM
I sent him an idea I had that could help.
Since there really is no real way of keeping a member really known, when changing display names frequently, a little required profile field where they enter their old display name would maybe work. As long as they do it....LOL
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely look into incorporating it as it would indeed offer further functionality to users, and will be more flexible than my suggestion, so I thank you for that!

Quote from: K@ on August 03, 2014, 05:20:14 AM
I think we all got a bit confused, to be honest. :P

But, with extremely good grace, samborabora has sent me (And others, I suspect) a message of apology and I've sent one back, doing the same.

All kudos, to the guy, for that! :)

We're good!

I sent original messages to most of the folks I annoyed, every message was personal and unique as I felt that I owed that to each and everyone. After all, everyone offered their time to get into the discussion, regardless of how I may or may not have taken their suggestions! I really appreciate the one you sent back, K, it really was a pleasure to receive it from you.

The only person I couldn't send one to was the message that took the longest to explain, after I typed one to send to Arantor, I was disheartened to see he'd blocked me, which is devastating as I really respected his opinions, even if it didn't seem I did, or if I didn't necessarily follow his advice, and I hate to not be able to attempt to mend bridges with one of most valued and highly regarded developers on this forum.

Hopefully is he sees this, he'll reconsider his position on ignoring me, but if not, at least I understand it was a lesson learned and I'll attempt to improve my conduct in the future  :'(

kat

Arantor has most people blocked, for reasons that I entirely understand. So, don't take that one personally. :)

Advertisement: