News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Better Profile Menu (SMF 2.0.x Only)

Started by dougiefresh, July 30, 2014, 12:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ninja ZX-10RR

Can you tell me the edits you have done? I have severely customized this mod and I wouldn't really like to uninstall/reinstall it >_<
thanks in advance dougie, as always. :)
Quote from: BeastMode topic=525177.msg3720020#msg3720020
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

dougiefresh

Send me your copy of Subs-BetterProfileMenu.php and lemme see what I can do.....

Ninja ZX-10RR

*attached* thanks again for your kindness dougie, as always. :)
It's so powerful that on this post and even in the two PMs you sent me,you still answered my question very quickly and you're apologizing for the delay. You're the #1 support I've probably ever encountered man, so much respect for that. Thank you, and get better soon.

I'll keep this in my siggy for a while just to remind me that someone appreciated what I did while others didn't.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

dougiefresh

I assume the changes regarding Bookmarks in the profile supports this Bookmarks mod, right?

Ninja ZX-10RR

Yes, that's a custom snippet (and furtherly fixed by me) originally made by br360 in the relative support thread :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.4 - October 15th, 2014
o Added support for the Bookmarks mod.
o Minor Profiles menu changes made, originally done by Ninja ZX-10RR

@♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦: Thanks for confirming the mod.  I liked the reorganization of the Profiles menu that you did in Subs-BetterProfileMenu.php, so I integrated the changes into the mod, with a few more changes to make sure that the bookmarks text string is present because trying to use it.  Thank you!

Ninja ZX-10RR

Oh, cool! :D so can I just uninstall it and reinstall it back with the latest version? :D
Very glad that you liked them!

Do note though that the custom snippet is NOT added by default with the my bookmarks mod, it's custom and it needs another piece of code (regarding that other mod) to be edited in order to work like that ;) I reiterated just to be sure :)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

Ninja ZX-10RR

Except it doesn't work to me, even editing it I can't get it to work again without restoring the previous file >_<

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

dougiefresh

@Ninja:  Damn....  I don't understand why it doesn't work.  I'll try to fix it, but can you point me to the relevant post in the thread?  Thanks!

thelastlokean

Thanks very much for the updates!  I will be giving this a test-drive...

Quote from: ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦ on October 15, 2014, 02:10:17 PM
At least TRY to do it before complaining?

I usually do, but when people in the thread are talking about needing to manually uninstall I tread cautiously...  Especially because I have done quite a bit of editing to UP, and needing to reinstall it would be a pain...

I wasn't aware that asking a question was considered complaining around here...

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: dougiefresh on October 16, 2014, 05:17:42 PM
@Ninja:  Damn....  I don't understand why it doesn't work.  I'll try to fix it, but can you point me to the relevant post in the thread?  Thanks!
Sure I can! --> http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=182923.msg3753227#msg3753227 this is the custom edit I had done there, and actually looking at the code I can't understand why it doesn't work either. I tried to reinstall the Bookmarks mod but with no luck, the only thing I could do is to just place the custom code back, the snippet you added seems to do absolutely nothing, which is weird to me. ???

Quote from: [email protected] on October 16, 2014, 05:24:13 PM
Thanks very much for the updates!  I will be giving this a test-drive...

Quote from: ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦ on October 15, 2014, 02:10:17 PM
At least TRY to do it before complaining?

I usually do, but when people in the thread are talking about needing to manually uninstall I tread cautiously...  Especially because I have done quite a bit of editing to UP, and needing to reinstall it would be a pain...

I wasn't aware that asking a question was considered complaining around here...
We don't serve answers on a golden plate here, at least TRY to do things and if you encounter problems then we are glad to help but if you don't even try to do a thing then the message that we (and I mean "we" as a community) get is "I don't bother trying to install this, will it work? I won't provide any details of my forum configuration but I expect you to have mind-reading mod installed and to already know if it will work or not, and with which consequences."
Hope it clears things out a little bit dude ;)

Btw I really discourage you use your real email as a nickname because if some spammer bot manages to crawl it you will VERY much likely get seriously spammed in your inbox. And I don't think you would like it. The correct way to let other people know about your email address would be putting it in your signature in a similar way: mario[dot]rossi[at]youremailprovider[dot]com or something like that ;)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

thelastlokean

First off, thanks very much dougiefresh for the quick update!  I have UP mod installed and it is working great with your mod.  I did a little tweaking to adjust the sort order.

I also added the bookmarks mod, and for some reason the 'if' statement you implemented doesn't work.  It was pretty simple to move the array definition out of the if statement, getting it to show up.  The Ultimate Profile bit works fine though, so I'm pretty certain the issue is regarding (isset($txt['bookmarks']) is not returning a '1' or 'true'...

Ninja, chill out then go back and read my original post.  Notice how I specifically stated: 'I'm nervous to test installing this because I don't want to end up manually uninstalling anything...', with regards to the post prior in which another member ended up with a mess he had to uninstall from this being incompatible with another mod. 

I provided enough information about my forum to be relevant to my questions, which were quickly and precisely answered politely and without rudeness.  I'm not sure where you are getting the 'mind-reading' or 'crazy expectations' bit from, lay off the drama, I asked about compatibility with a very commonly used mod. 

Obviously dougiefresh wasn't so offended, he quickly implemented support for the ultimate profile mod and verified the mod was only hook-based.  I am not sure what the prior posts were about regarding manually uninstalling edits.

Anyways, Thanks for the suggestion on removing my email...

Ninja ZX-10RR

Meh... I don't bother replying. Dougie you got any updates by chance? I ended up in editing it and putting the bookmarks array back in again XD also this gave me the insane idea to mess around with the menu and now I'm seriously freaking out with subs.php changing the order of the arrays every 5 minutes on average :rofl:

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.5 - October 17th, 2014
o Fixed stupid array mistake in Subs-BetterProfileMenu.php code....
o Removes Bookmarks tab from main menu and places it in the Profile menu....

@Ninja: Yeah, I figured it out.  Turns out SMF doesn't like arrays within arrays for sub-buttons  :P  Found the bug when I outputted the array and looked at it in my browser's web developer mode.... I also implemented removal of the original Bookmarks menu from the menu bar....  I wonder if I should add an option to do this, though.....

@thelastlokean:  You're welcome!  I'm glad to hear that the UP modification works for ya!  I think the prior posts about manual install were about a conflict between two mods.  It was determined that my mod was not "at fault" for the conflict/errors....

Ninja ZX-10RR

As always

It worked :D I will have a look at what's the difference between the files because I backed it up before installing the latest version, it works like a charm ^^
About the my bookmarks option idk either... To me like this is just fine, it was already fine but I wanted to help you hunting the bug until you finally squashed it :D and with this update my to-do list here on sm.org gets even smaller. Thanks for the fix dougie it's always appreciated never forget it ;)

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

dougiefresh

@Ninja:  Thanks for the feedback.

@thelastlokean: The manual uninstall discussion actually had nothing to do with this mod, since the other mod was producing the errors.  It often helps to read the entire thread to answer some of these questions  :P

In case anyone is interested, version 1.0 of this mod was a direct integration into Sources/Subs.php.  I can't speak about v1.1 because I lost my copy.  v1.2 and above is a hook-based mod....

Ninja ZX-10RR

Had an idea and I actually implemented into my forum already, just wanted to share it with you since you have always been very kind to me :D
It is a little bit more complicated than it looks since the strings for the Drafts were already all in use (that's why I have set "draftsninja" as string-name XD) but I will show you my subs-betterprofilemenu.php maybe you will like it even more :D if not well I just share it, maybe someone is interested into it ;) I will add that edit to the relative support thread too (EDIT: just posted --> http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=246151.msg3757966#msg3757966). It is an interesting edit to me.
I will show you a screenshot of it, too.
You need to add the string to the relative drafts language file too, though, otherwise it would throw an undefined index and it wouldn't work properly with other languages.
Like this: /languages/drafts.{language}.php
Code (find) Select

?>

Code (add before) Select

$txt['draftsninja'] = 'Drafts';

If you like it feel free to get inspired :) oh besides since there are 2 drafts mods, it's the most recent one.

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.6 - November 1st, 2014
o Adds a few items to the Profiles instead just blindly replacing it.

Quote from: ♦ Ninja ZX-10RR ♦ on October 26, 2014, 11:21:22 PM
Had an idea and I actually implemented into my forum already, just wanted to share it with you since you have always been very kind to me :D
It is a little bit more complicated than it looks since the strings for the Drafts were already all in use (that's why I have set "draftsninja" as string-name XD) but I will show you my subs-betterprofilemenu.php maybe you will like it even more :D if not well I just share it, maybe someone is interested into it ;) I will add that edit to the relative support thread too (EDIT: just posted --> http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=246151.msg3757966#msg3757966). It is an interesting edit to me.
I will show you a screenshot of it, too.
You need to add the string to the relative drafts language file too, though, otherwise it would throw an undefined index and it wouldn't work properly with other languages.
Like this: /languages/drafts.{language}.php
Code (find) Select

?>

Code (add before) Select

$txt['draftsninja'] = 'Drafts';

If you like it feel free to get inspired :) oh besides since there are 2 drafts mods, it's the most recent one.
I wish I saw that before I released v1.6....  I'll alter the mod later today....

Ninja ZX-10RR

Quote from: dougiefresh on November 02, 2014, 03:49:03 AM
I wish I saw that before I released v1.6....  I'll alter the mod later today....
Glad that you liked it :D

♥ Jess ♥

STOP EDITING MY PROFILE

dougiefresh

Uploaded v1.7 - November 2nd, 2014
o Added support for the Drafts mod.

@Ninja: I found that the Drafts mod has a language file, and it's from there that I got the string to represent that mod....

Advertisement: